Insurance

Broncohauler

We've been through this a few times over the years. but I wanted to ask if anyone has found the best deal for our use?

I have been with Progressive for 8 years with no complaints, but I haven't had a claim ether?

What I would like to find is a company that will let me

1) Bobtail

2) use the truck for home depot runs

3) move my tractor or forklift on a car trailer from my house to my son or daughters house with out worries.

Basically use it as I would my old Superduty keeping in mind that I still work full time and only use the HDT about 2500miles a year.

Thanks guys Charlie

X2 on National General. Totaled the 5er with minimal damage to the Volvo last year. Paid us quick and fair.

Will have to see where the rates go when I buy/register the new 5er.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Well just talked with progressive and everything seems ok.

They just want to make sure your not using the truck for pay or prizes.

You CANNOT use it for school work or as a daily driver.

You also CANNOT use it for a "drop off point"

Meaning taking something to or from a job site.

You CAN run to Home Depot if it's for you not your business.

You can move a tractor from your house to another family members house so long as your not paid for it.

One thing they did mention I was not aware of is if you go to a NASCAR race to camp or Indy your not covered at the track because the track has you sign a waiver on the way in.

I compared several of the companies mentioned above and Progressive through USAA was by far the best price for our situation. One or two of the companies were more than 100% higher on their premium. Of course, some may argue that the policy is 100% better. IDK. But, I got a reasonable agreed value on the HDT and Replacement cost on the Toyhauler. Plenty good for us. Jeremy

I compared several of the companies mentioned above and Progressive through USAA was by far the best price for our situation. One or two of the companies were more than 100% higher on their premium. Of course, some may argue that the policy is 100% better. IDK. But, I got a reasonable agreed value on the HDT and Replacement cost on the Toyhauler. Plenty good for us. Jeremy

I was under the impression USAA was NOT competitive for HDT's

Thanks I will give them a try

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I have been with Progressive on the HDT for 7 years now. No issues. Did see a pretty good bump (renewal just arrived yesterday) this year but I am sure that has to do with the huge hail storm last spring (even though I did not have a claim).

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I want to say mine is just over $1200 a month with Progressive through my local agent. Does everyone's progressive policy say it is a commercial policy though? When I asked my insurance guy swears that is the way all Progressive policies read, and he also claimed that the policy covers me to do whatever, he said there was no discount for being an RV or personal truck. Said if I was for hire, by business policy would cover the trailer, load, and business liability, so the truck's policy in the insurance world had no bearing on its use.
I was really hoping to find a policy that didn't say commercial on it anywhere just for the questions that could raise in the event of having to prove my personal use.

Also, in everyone's experience does it matter if your truck is licences PT or RV as far as rates go? My agent claimed my VIN wouldn't change, so there was no way for that to save me any money.

Either way, my policy on this truck was cheaper than the MDT I almost bought before buying this thing.

I want to say that we did a value of 30K on our Volvo and my policy is a little less than $500 a year. I am up for renewal in April and will be going over this one closely as my premium sounds a little light in comparison to a couple others. I sure don't mind s cheap premium, just don't want to be under-insured. I do know that it is definitely not a commercial policy as they required us to move our 5th from USAA to them in order to even write it. They told me that we were covered with the 5th and when unhooked it couldn't be used to commute to work or for hire. Anytime I am driving it without the 5th... I am headed to get parts or for repairs. ;)

I want to say mine is just over $1200 a month with Progressive through my local agent. Does everyone's progressive policy say it is a commercial policy though? When I asked my insurance guy swears that is the way all Progressive policies read, and he also claimed that the policy covers me to do whatever, he said there was no discount for being an RV or personal truck. Said if I was for hire, by business policy would cover the trailer, load, and business liability, so the truck's policy in the insurance world had no bearing on its use.

I was really hoping to find a policy that didn't say commercial on it anywhere just for the questions that could raise in the event of having to prove my personal use.

I am assuming you meant year not month :wacko:

My Progressive Policy does not have the words "commercial" on it any where. Keep in mind that while we have the same insurance carrier, coverage/wording is going to very from state to state. Just like every state is different on how they register a HDT for RV use the same is true when it comes to insurance. Example is State Farm insures all my various property except the HDT & 5er. That is because of State Farm's charter with the State of Texas. In State Farms charter with Texas once a vehicle hits a certain weight it is automatically commercial and they can only write a commercial policy. The market share they are missing is not great enough to justify the trouble/expense of redoing their charter with the State of Texas.

Also, in everyone's experience does it matter if your truck is licences PT or RV as far as rates go? My agent claimed my VIN wouldn't change, so there was no way for that to save me any money.

When I purchased my HDT, I originally had it registered as a Private Truck. The dealership would not do the paperwork for the title conversion to RV, so I had no choice. I had no problems in any of travels with the truck tags. After about 2 years, I finally went down to the county tax office and did the paperwork to convert my title to motorhome. The motorhome tags are much cheaper in Texas than when I was registered as a Private Truck. All tags in Texas are based on weight. As a motorhome, I pay based on the actual weight of the HDT. As a Private Truck the weight was calculated on GVW not actual weight. I think the biggest place you could have any issues if you are on a road that a motorhome is allowed but "No Trucks".

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Either way, my policy on this truck was cheaper than the MDT I almost bought before buying this thing.

If you did mean $1200 a month then they DO have you listed as commercial.

What you want is for it to be an RV policy and most likely they're going to want to make sure they cover your trailer also just to make sure that's what you're using it for.

If you run the truck under a business name or using it for any business purposes that might be why their labeling it commercial.

You need to just talk to a different agent with progressive

Archived