In-dash radio radio removal question

Boogity

In our Winabago MiniWinnie the radio has quit working. After checking the obvious things like fuses without success I would like to remove the radio for further investigation. There are 2 small holes on each side to the radio faceplate that tell me that there must be a tool or a way to release the radio mounting device to allow the radio to be removed by sliding straight out. I have tried many things in my toolbox and in my shop without any luck. Do any of you have experience with this type of radio installation? I have a picture but can't figure out how to include it in this post without sending it to a photo website. This just ain't my day.

This might work . . .

post-7375-0-94543000-1483557176_thumb.jpg

Take a coat hanger, bend it in a "U" shape to fit in the holes each side. Make the legs about 2" long & even. Shove them in the holes, and spread them away from each other. Having a 3rd hand or other , uh, appendage, stick it in the tape hole & pull out. The real tool has notches on the legs, and can be used to pull out, so improvise

Thanks guys. I made and used the two "U" shaped coat hangar wires. Everything worked OK until today when I realized that the left side of the radio is hanging up on something from behind. I really don't want to get up under the dashboard but maybe I will have to pull the engine cover out. Nothing is easy is it.

I have used both the Ford radio removal "tools" purchased from an auto parts store, and also home-made ones from coat hangers. The coat hangers worked great on my Ford Expedition, not so well on the motorhome radio. I would try the commercial tools before going extreme.

Archived