Heading to Florida

rdickinson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snagged a spot at the fairgrounds?

Snag me one and I'll raise that by paying for the dude who polishes wheels during the show.

I will see what they have when I arrive today!

PM your # and date of arrival.

Richard

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Road reports in BC , the ones on the radio are not updated regularly, neither is the Canadian weather networks tv road report so I'm less than impressed with our system here. MANY times I've driven from YYC to Victoria, checking in advance the road reports. Canada's TV Weather Network calling for icy sections only to find the whole road bare and dry. Or tune to a Road Reports station in that location and find it hasn't been updated for 3 days and the reported conditions nowhere reflect actual, good or bad.

I took to looking up road cameras at various potential bad locations.

My observations are it takes 3 days after a major WX event for roads to be cleared and dried out so less of a chance of black ice. Also Interstates could be a better choice due to the resources available.

I've driven thru Montana nd Wyoming in Winter in snowy conditions and icy roads. This with my old IH 4700 and have no plans to repeat or come close to that type of situation.

If it means the Coast Road and an xtra day or so, so be it. I'd rather drop an xtra 4-600$ in diesel than risk the Rig.

Did I-10 in December '05, so I know about the expansion joints and yes it was bumpy. Last year was fine going and coming back.

We'll see how this plays out.

Gene, thanks, noted.

Well only one really big bump between Houston and FL! So big it made one storage compartment come open even though it was locked

We almost spread wheel chocks all over I 10.

2 Great Danes

Roger - please drop me an email with US phone #. Looks like Charlie and I will be coming over early the 18th and going back to the east coast that night. Will be in my wife's SUV, not our HDT's. Need to call you at the show so we can find each other.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Whose deck was it.

Who made the deck?

If it was same builder as mine, I know how to fix the problem.

If the tab bent that flips over inside the compartment, I replaced mine with 1/4" steel.

No more bending and opening of door.

Will get my phone #from box in truck.

Best place to be is by the RoadwRoadway truckdriving school. Backed up to fence by tall lamp post

Arrived FL state fairgrounds about 3 this afternoon, we are sitting in campsite #4 right across from the Cargill windmill. I asked if They had any sites available with electric the answer was nope, all the sites are for vendors only.

Sorry Roger!

2 Great Danes

The Few, yes you can spend almost as much as you can imagine on a HDT and 5th wheel combination, but you can do it on a budget if you get lucky.
Look at this: https://www.facebook.com/1794558544131302/photos/1795003004086856/

Or look here: https://www.facebook.com/RicksVolvoTruckandTrailer/posts/

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

The Few, yes you can spend almost as much as you can imagine on a HDT and 5th wheel combination, but you can do it on a budget if you get lucky.

Look at this: https://www.facebook.com/1794558544131302/photos/1795003004086856/

Rick

Thank you Rick,

Proves that you can have your cake and eat it too!

BUT, I am hoping to build/buy a road worthy 3-4yr old Volvo VNL 780HDT RV Hauler, a 3-4yr old Toy Hauler (40-45) Ft in length, and a simple Smart car bed that is just for that purpose.. ( no storage or anything fancy)

Awesome find!!

The Few

Rick, How did you hinge the fairings? That is a cool set up.

Well, that is not easy to explain, but it wasn't easy.... :)

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Thank you Rick,

Proves that you can have your cake and eat it too!

BUT, I am hoping to build/buy a road worthy 3-4yr old Volvo VNL 780HDT RV Hauler, a 3-4yr old Toy Hauler (40-45) Ft in length, and a simple Smart car bed that is just for that purpose.. ( no storage or anything fancy)

Everything done and bought for under $100,000....

I know it can be done, I'm more than certain of that

Again,

thank you Rick!

The Few

Archived