Heading to Florida

rdickinson

Sounds good. We're about 15 miles or so south of Highway 20 (from the Highway 53 intersection). No pressure. We're still working stiffs so will only be around in the evenings during the week, but figured I would offer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger, what are you using for lane departure?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I don't know the name of it offhand. We were tuning it for an hour or so yesterday pm. It takes 30 seconds to calibrate at a speed above 35 mph on a straight road which is difficult around here. The horizon is the first thing to set, difficult on an angled curved Volvo front window. Then the sides have to be tuned in so when you encroach on or over the recognized lane markers it beeps. there are loudness levels, clearly audible and adjustments. for most parameters. We'll be testing it again this am before departure later this afternoon.

This one is expensive but head and shoulders above the one in the dashcam which I had removed and replaced with a different system.

If I have internet tonight, I'll let you know.

Randy in Florida can have a look at it and with some luck and hard driving I'll be at the Tampa show in about a week.

Once tune in and set up you don't see it, it is behind the screen if you know what I mean.

Also put a couple of cameras on the big side mirror, one looking down at the front rt corner and the other down the side of the truck like Phil's. We had to custom build that last one. Mounting on the fender mirror was a problem 'cus we had to allow for flipping the hood up....where do we put the slack. The big truck mirror is already full of wires and can't get to the bolt to loosen it and change the angle. We were not going to spend 4 hrs tearing apart the mirror and risk breaking something with no time to get replacement parts.

The rest of the work will be done in Florida, parts are being fwd shipped to FT Sicilia inc in Melbourne, the replaced my hitch last year. Replacing broken headlite, a couple of telescoping sewer pipe holders plus, plus.

On edit,

Can't always pull over when tired, no place to go. So am trying to stack the deck in my favor.

I'll get ken to take pics of the tuning process showing the side lines on the new cab monitor and see if I can post them

Roger, I'm real interested in what you did for your cameras and for your lane departure stuff. I'm in the beginning of my buildout, so I still have time to determine exactly what I'm going to include in those areas.

Right now the product on the top of the list is Mobileye for lane departure. It remains to be seen if that is what I install permanently, but testing will happen for sure.

My plan is to have left, right, top of drom and hitch cameras. I don't know if I will put in a lookdown camera at the right front fender mirror yet, but that is likely.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Roger, I'm real interested in what you did for your cameras and for your lane departure stuff. I'm in the beginning of my buildout, so I still have time to determine exactly what I'm going to include in those areas.

Right now the product on the top of the list is Mobileye for lane departure. It remains to be seen if that is what I install permanently, but testing will happen for sure.

My plan is to have left, right, top of drom and hitch cameras. I don't know if I will put in a lookdown camera at the right front fender mirror yet, but that is likely.

We have the Webco Onguard in the WS. I like the fact that it works with the cruise and helps to maintain 500' between you and what's in front and will slow you down and even apply full brakes to help avoid a collision. The lane departure is nice until you are on a rutted road then it will drive you nuts, luckily I can turn if off for 15 min after that it comes back on.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Finally picked up truck at 8:30pm Tuesday now I'm three days late heading for Tampa. This day started off bad, had a blowout in my dads truck headed down the road at about 75mph then could not find his jack, truck was late being done enough to take, lights still not working right and so on, and so. They will have to finish it upon my return because I am going to Tampa.

2 Great Danes

Roger,

From what I can see, you are the epitome of someone that is doing it in life very well.. You are actually taking the time and exploring several states " to include Canada" en route to Florida!

We "myself and wife" plan to do the same thing, once I am in your shoe's someday soon! I could have bought a small aircraft for cheaper than a whole HDT RV set-up (I am assuming most RV Haulers and 5th wheel combinations average $100,000.00), but for all the years that I have been a Private Pilot "fly for fun, not profit", I cannot get away from the fact that these HDT RV haulers are so much "cooler" and "fun" to operate and upgrade! (not to mention, less stressful)!

You are a wealth of information and knowledge, and I just wanted to commend you for being an asset and an ambassador the the HDT community!

Everyone that fall's under the same category in this forum, my hat's off to you as well..

It not only takes money, guts and a strong willingness to want to own one of these monsters, but a passion to just go out and be free and just experience places other than just the average 2-3 hr trip down the road to your local KOA..

I am in Eastern NC, and will admit that I have never actually seen a REAL "HDT RV" hauler, but I can tell you that my plans stem to also be an ambassador to the HDT RV for my state as well..

The more people that know and understand how these things work, the less accidents and careless awareness I feel will be developed!

Your knowledge or willing to try all these electronic devises, is also a plus on the safety side, and I am sure insurance companies are willing to give anyone with added safety features a break or even will change the under writing to add you as their client..

Anyways, just wanted to give you a "shout out", and thank you for keeping us involved with your journey, its a great story to read..

Be safe ,sir..

(disclaimer)

** Please excuse any grammatical error, I'm not as perfect as I used to be** LOL

The Few

I am assuming most RV Haulers and 5th wheel combinations average $100,000.00),

We started the HDT/5er saga with less than half that amount invested. Truck-$19k, bed/hitch-$5k, trailer-$17k. Throw in the brake controller, Jackalopee, and some incidentals and you're pushing $43k. Drug it all over, including Alaska.

Now, including the smart, we're pushing $80k. Yes, some spend a lot more. It's a personal choice, and a compromise of price v. time using it. Shop around, you'll likely be surprised. Do some work yourself and save a bundle, and perhaps even enjoy it.

That said, I salivate over the new trucks and 5ers too. We just don't spend enough time on the road to justify that kind of outlay.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The truck was 60k,

• deck 20k ish,
  • generator 10k
  • trailer purchase 45k
  • renovations....a lot more ongoing even after 10 yrs. Always upgrading something and not everything works out, no matter how much it may be planned out....so deal with it and move on. Ie the new nav system,sirius radio and hands free phone. Do not like the nav system so gone back to Microsoft Streets and trips on the Jotto laptop stand....Jack doesn't like it. It works for me and that is what matters.
  • We all have differences but if there is a common thread, we all realize the safety of having a big truck to pull a big trailer.

Private pilot huh? Same here, learned in '76 # 166244. Pretty much all single Cessnas and the 337, suck me blow me as it was called. Add in some Ultra lights and a Beech Musketeer or Mouseeater as Barry called it.

Cost? You don't do this on a shoestring budget. Once you mention boat, plane, Rv or corvette, the price soars.

The rig is like my old house, there was always a project to do. In Calgary my yard was the nicest in a 2 block radius as I was told by neighbors. Even the Rock Wall out fit I used mine as a show yard.

Re exploring....well not exactly, it's Winter and everywhere else is frozen up and seeing bad weather. South out of the Victoria area, down 101...painfully slow, around the back of LA and crossing the southern states is pretty much the only way to go. Driving this 1 wheel wonder in snow and getting stranded then ticketed and parked for no chains and freezing everything up in the process is not an option. No room to put chains on in the wheelwells as they are configured.

Gotta get breakfast and get rolling, another day.

Roger, try out Copilot sometime on a tablet. I've grown to like it a lot. I've used S&T and Street Atlas for years. They both have advantages. But right now, I'm liking CoPilot just fine. Still need paper and Google Maps, though :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

The truck Garmin will go when I get back. If you or someone else is at the Tampa show, I'd like to see it in operation. MS&T on a tablet stuck to the dead switch area would be ok, I like to be able to move around with the trackball mouse....may have to modify the armrest.

A Tablet on the fce of the dash, not on top but on the face would be a preference.

Let me know

Thanks

BTW the stand is in the way but until something better comes along, well.....I adapt to it.

I am assuming most RV Haulers and 5th wheel combinations average $100,000.00),

We started the HDT/5er saga with less than half that amount invested. Truck-$19k, bed/hitch-$5k, trailer-$17k. Throw in the brake controller, Jackalopee, and some incidentals and you're pushing $43k. Drug it all over, including Alaska.

Now, including the smart, we're pushing $80k. Yes, some spend a lot more. It's a personal choice, and a compromise of price v. time using it. Shop around, you'll likely be surprised. Do some work yourself and save a bundle, and perhaps even enjoy it.

That said, I salivate over the new trucks and 5ers too. We just don't spend enough time on the road to justify that kind of outlay.

Hello rickeieio,

I love how you minimized your cost, and made it work just as well as anyone that has spent more for the same thing!!

I am not planning on Full timing, only "some timing", so I cannot justify "myself or my wife" why I would spend a lot of money on something that may never be driven more than 10000 miles a year..

Having the shiniest toy on the block might be important for some, i'm just not wired that way either..

I commend you on owning a piece of a dream, and I bet you get just as many thumbs up's and smiles going down the road, as someone that spent more than enough money on an RV to buy two homes..

Anyone in this lifestyle HAS to be half crazy to own one of these and drive it around the streets, and here is the ironic part.. (being crazy and thinking outside the box, seems to keep us sane)!!

I need to be crazy, REAL soon!! LOL

The Few

The truck was 60k,

• deck 20k ish,
  • generator 10k
  • trailer purchase 45k
  • renovations....a lot more ongoing even after 10 yrs. Always upgrading something and not everything works out, no matter how much it may be planned out....so deal with it and move on. Ie the new nav system,sirius radio and hands free phone. Do not like the nav system so gone back to Microsoft Streets and trips on the Jotto laptop stand....Jack doesn't like it. It works for me and that is what matters.
  • We all have differences but if there is a common thread, we all realize the safety of having a big truck to pull a big trailer.

Private pilot huh? Same here, learned in '76 # 166244. Pretty much all single Cessnas and the 337, suck me blow me as it was called. Add in some Ultra lights and a Beech Musketeer or Mouseeater as Barry called it.

Cost? You don't do this on a shoestring budget. Once you mention boat, plane, Rv or corvette, the price soars.

The rig is like my old house, there was always a project to do. In Calgary my yard was the nicest in a 2 block radius as I was told by neighbors. Even the Rock Wall out fit I used mine as a show yard.

Re exploring....well not exactly, it's Winter and everywhere else is frozen up and seeing bad weather. South out of the Victoria area, down 101...painfully slow, around the back of LA and crossing the southern states is pretty much the only way to go. Driving this 1 wheel wonder in snow and getting stranded then ticketed and parked for no chains and freezing everything up in the process is not an option. No room to put chains on in the wheelwells as they are configured.

Gotta get breakfast and get rolling, another day.

WOW Roger Dickinson, what a coincidence... We have a LOT more in common than I thought..

1) You are driving from Canada to Florida, and my plans are to drive from NC to Canada/Fairbanks Ak.. (when the time comes)

2) You have been flying Cessna's since 1976, and I have been flying piper's (single engine prop) since 95, and I have tried a helicopter a few times, but too expensive to learn and fly for me.. Would LOVE to own a Cessna 336/337, but you're limited with a plane vs an RV in many aspects!! SURE, I could fly down to Florida in a few hrs, but I would miss all of the landscape and beautiful scenery from the ground.. Besides, the HDT has more room, is quieter, and a bathroom is available anytime..LOL

3) I also have a Corvette (2010 C6 Z06), but no boat, and no RV yet, but I have a second home that I am renting out to a lovely Marine Officer and his family...LOL..

ANYWAY's, I wish you and the wife safe travels in your endevors, and keep us posted!!

Maybe one day, either you or I could rent a plane, and see who has more (cough, cough) experience with landings.. I'm the "low winger" type, so I appreciate the ground effects of the piper, than to the Cessna.. The Cessna drops too fast for my liking's on landings... LOLOL

The Few

The truck Garmin will go when I get back. If you or someone else is at the Tampa show, I'd like to see it in operation. MS&T on a tablet stuck to the dead switch area would be ok, I like to be able to move around with the trackball mouse....may have to modify the armrest.

A Tablet on the fce of the dash, not on top but on the face would be a preference.

Let me know

Thanks

BTW the stand is in the way but until something better comes along, well.....I adapt to it.

Roger,

I have a Garmin dezl 770 on a mount and Copilot truck professional built in on the dash monitor and will be at the Tampa show next week if you would like to see them side by side on a road trip.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We're running Co-Pilot as well. 99% of the time it has done well..... that 1% we don't talk about :wacko: We have a dedicated Samsung tablet that runs Copilot, and keeps all of our campground finding apps available.

Jim,

How much of your data does co-pilotless in a day vs none for the gps?

2 Great Danes

GH, thanks. Unless things go further south than they have so far, it puts me at the show end of next Tuesday. Chad showed me his c0-pilot tonite.. I'll take a look if/when I get there. My US phone and the Wi-Fi hot spot got fired up late pm so I have phone and mobil internet.

Roger, we should be pulling in Wednesday morning. There are 4 of us that will be overnighting just north of Tampa Tuesday night.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Jim,

How much of your data does co-pilotless in a day vs none for the gps?

Copilot on the tablet downloads all the data to the tablet. It uses nothing off the cellular network. I load all of North America into my tablet.

I happen to use a Nexus Shield and a Samsung Galaxy - both 8", but you can use almost any android or ipad.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Still hoping to sneak into a powered spot at the show.

Can you provide name of park please?

Just in case.

Thanks

Got US phone up and running.

So am able to text and email.

Paradise Oaks RV Park about an hour north of the fairgrounds in Bushnell, Florida

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

We will be at the fair grounds around noon on the 14th, snagged a 50amp site. We are sitting in FL Springs RV park off I 10 exit 112 gravel and not level, but for $60 it was a bargain. The price included a great prime rib dinner with all the trimmings.

2 Great Danes

Archived