Transverse torque arm - Advice needed

Jeff.Sloan

I bought my 2004 630 from Ray_nomad several months ago. After buying, I had it inspected and the local truck mechanic said the transverse torque arm had failed (bushings) and needed to be replaced. I ordered one from Volvo and am finally getting around to replacing it:

1a.jpg

However, I am starting to worry that something larger might be a problem. The transverse torque arm that is in the truck has a significant amount of twist on the bushings, as if the axle is too far forward. The truck was singled short, initially with the wrong rear leafs. Ray later purchased the correct rear leafs with the correct angle for the driveshaft alignment. Truck runs great but there is heavy side loading on the transverse torque arm mount bolts and I am afraid someitng else is wrong and if I remove the old transverse torque arm I won't be able to get the new one into position.

6a.jpg

3a.jpg

5a.jpg

4a.jpg

2a.jpg

Anyone replace one of these before? Is it supposed to have this much twist on it? If not, what would likely cause this? Any advise before I tear this thing apart and can't get it back together would be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

Thanks

Jeff

EDIT: Full size pics here: http://nicoleandjeff.net/tta/

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

The tower is cast for 13 deg like it was when it was in the back. It needs to be cut off and the 2-4 deg one welded on. But easier said than done...... Probably just make sure truck is at correct ride height and axle is parked happily centered. Then remove frame bracket, set it straight across the axle where it wants to be, then transfer punch and drill. By rights it should be aligned again to recheck offset so you can shim the new offset, depending on how perfect you want to be.

Nice pic by the way-no misunderstandings on that one!

Thanks for the help so far. I was afraid something wasn't right! Sorry, dumb question, when you say "tower", which part are you referring to?

I think I will just relocate the frame bracket. Sounds like the easier solution.

Let the drilling project commence (tomorrow)!

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Scrap has it for ya. When they singled and moved the rear fwd they had to relocate the arm mount up the rh side as the original front axle mounts opposite up the left.

When they altered later the angles it loaded the arm.

Moving the mount over should fix.

You may have to plate the outside of the frame with a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" then re drill if the holes are too close. Not too big a job though.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thanks. This all makes sense now. I found this diagram online as well which helped me understand what it used to look like:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US6793225B2/US06793225-20040921-D00003.png

I will work on this today. Thanks for the tip on plating the frame if needed. I had not thought of that :-)

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Rocky, looking at the first pic, he has air springs. He's probably refering to the arched arms to which the axle housing is fastened. They likely have a technical name........ On a motorcycle it would be a swingarm.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It looked pretty much the same when air was applied. Yes, air springs, I should have called them trailing arms (that's what they are called in four wheeler world).

After a few hours, several drill bits, a sore back (drilling six holes while straddling an axle is not fun), and a few choice words, here is the finished product:

after2a.jpg

after1a.jpg

after3a.jpg

Thankfully no frame plating was needed. So now that I fixed it I'm curious: will this help with fuel economy or tire wear or anything good like that - or does it just stop the truck from tracking funny as it goes down the road?

Thanks again for the help!

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Volvos calls them z-springs. Peterbilt calls them air leaves. KW doesn't use them so they don't really have a name. The axle tower is that casting welded to the top of the axle. I have no idea what improvements it'll make but let us know!

Am I the only one who thinks that may cause binding? Axle travels basically up and down. That torque arm is going to try to force the top of axle to move forward when up, back when down (referenced to the frame). Maybe enough give in the bushings, and short enough travel, to not be a problem, but the angle of motion of the arm and axle are sure different....

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Wow. How did we all miss that one? Something is amiss on the differential side of the arm, then the holes need to be re-drilled. Unless it's trick photography......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Yes, it appears on the before shots that the attachment to the frame is a little bit aft of the center of the axle. But on the after shots it looks like it is straight above the axle. It could just be the angle from where the picture was taken, but I keep seeing it directly above the axle and not 1 to 2 inches to the rear of it.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I think, (Dangerous territory) Jeff is pointing out that the arm is rolled back, perhaps as much as 30-45 degrees. Yes it's parallel to the axle, but vertical movement of the axle will cause fore-aft movement of said axle, or flexing of the arm/bushings.

Not good, if the picture is accurate.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Precisely. the angle of the pivot pins on the arm is not the same as the angle of motion of the axle.

Scrap pointed this out above, that the back axle had a 13 degree tower, rather than 2-4 degree like needed on the front. So i'm guessing that the angle is off 10 degrees. Looks worse in the pictures!

This MAY not be a problem in actual use...the rubber bushing may have enough give that the arm will simply twist slightly on the bushings up to down. Which may be why Scrap said it will probably be fine. Also, most of the time the arm will be at the "rest" position during operation (normal ride height) The worst twist will only be when dumped (stopped).

I'd most likely go with Scrap..."it'll work". Just pointing out it isn't "right" and MAY cause issues. I would definitely operate the suspension thru the dumped to ride range, and make sure it doesn't seem to be trying to twist/ break anything when dumped. (what kind of leverage will this put on the Z-Springs?) If everything looks OK, no major creaking or twisting evident, still some give in the torque arm bushings, I'd just run it. Better than way back like before!.

No camper at present.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think it's an issue. With the air fully dumped, it looks basically the same. There is a good amount of rubber in the transverse torque arm end bushings. If it could flex backwards as much as it was in the 'before' photos, then it should be able to flex a bit as the axle goes up and down.

Thinking of this another way - How are other singling jobs done? Is the forward-rear axle tower normally cut off and re-welded to the rear-rear axle? I imagine they would be done the easy way - just like mine was (although the wrong trailing arms/Z arms were used initially).

Here are some new photos with no air in the truck at all (been parked for a week):

after4a.jpg

after5a.jpg

after6a.jpg

After driving it last weekend, the rear did feel a little tighter/more solid. Not sure if this was a real difference or the empty wallet justification bias . . .

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Yea, it isn't perfect but "it'll work". Not perfect because it isn't parallel to the axle but better than it was. Perfect would be a new tower cast to the right angle. The rod looks kind of tweaked like it might have already bound once before or something big got dropped on it or something but it could be the pics too.

Thanks for opining. Good enough for Rock and Roll!

Regarding the apparent bend, I see what you mean. That's a photo angle effect. The arm is brand new from Volvo dealer.

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Perfect would be a new tower cast to the right angle.

Hmm--just for the sake of "thinkin"...that particular bracket just looks like a bent steel U, welded to the axle housing and the steel sleeves the arm bolts to. Couldn't you make a sawzall cut about 1/2 way down the long leg of the U, overlap the cut piece outside the original plate, and reweld top and bottom of the overlap? (Make sure to keep the right spacing!) If you did it right you could get any angle you wanted. Seems like an easy fix that would not even weld on the axle itself.

Or isn't that fabed steel like it looks?

No camper at present.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the plate on the back of the torque arm on my new truck. We just finished singling it. LINK.

If you want video, HERE is the link.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived