Quarter size tracking device

Pat & Pete

What's the range of bluetooth, about 30'? If I'm within thirty feet of my car, I can usually find it.

I don't know what the range of blue tooth is , but the ad says :

"TrackR is a revolutionary device the size of a quarter that ensures you will always know where your vehicle is. Whether it’s in the next parking lot or it's stolen and on the opposite side of the country."

Exactly how they do that ???

Goes around , comes around .

Exactly how they do that ???

"Crowd" GPS. Any bluetooth enabled device in range of the tracker will pick up the passive signal and transmit the general location via cellular or wifi signal. Much like a wifi enabled device picks up other wifi signals.. sending signals back and forth (even though they can't "connect") ..or cellphones constantly transmitting to the nearest tower.

That being said.. I looked into these not too very long ago and found they were not terribly reliable.. both the device reliability itself, the trackr servers that process and relay positioning as well as the app. That was my take, anyway. Nice novelty idea.. and it will likely develop, but not quite yet it's "time".

"Crowd" GPS. Any bluetooth enabled device in range of the tracker will pick up the passive signal and transmit the general location via cellular or wifi signal. Much like a wifi enabled device picks up other wifi signals.. sending signals back and forth (even though they can't "connect") ..or cellphones constantly transmitting to the nearest tower.

That being said.. I looked into these not too very long ago and found they were not terribly reliable.. both the device reliability itself, the trackr servers that process and relay positioning as well as the app. That was my take, anyway. Nice novelty idea.. and it will likely develop, but not quite yet it's "time".

Yes, but the bluetooth device has to also be a participant/customer of this same service in order to detect and transmit the location of your device, if I understand it correctly.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Yes, but the bluetooth device has to also be a participant/customer of this same service in order to detect and transmit the location of your device, if I understand it correctly.

To receive a location you, of course, have to have an account, their app and have that particular transmitter paired to your particular receiving device (cellphone), but as far as receiving passive bluetooth then no. Any bluetooth enabled device will pick it up without the device owner ever knowing or having any impact on their device.

At least that is my understanding and the way it works for other crowd gps devices.

I could put one on each of my tools so that I can find them when I misplace them! :rolleyes:

Kirk-

You sound like my Dad. When I was living at home, he was always fussing at me about losing his tools, not putting them back, etc. when I moved away from home, it changed: THEN he was always fussing at my MOTHER about always losing his tools, not putting them back, etc. The picture became clear!

Just don't blame your wife!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

On 12/31/2016 at 4:42 PM, Yarome said:

To receive a location you, of course, have to have an account, their app and have that particular transmitter paired to your particular receiving device (cellphone), but as far as receiving passive bluetooth then no. Any bluetooth enabled device will pick it up without the device owner ever knowing or having any impact on their device.

At least that is my understanding and the way it works for other crowd gps devices.

Maybe so, I was just going by their website...................

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Maybe so, I was just going by their website...................

From that it sounds like theirs IS app dependent rather than passive bluetooth then. That would pretty much limit them to mobile phones only as receivers which is even MORE limiting.

I can't imagine what the odds would be that an app equipped cellphone would actually pass within range of a bluetooth transmitter would be. Sounds pretty worthless.

Both Ford and Fiat/Jeep have a vehicle locator app for cell-phones, and of course GM has Onstar-which requires a monthly subscription. I'm sure many other mfgrs. have this feature.

This TrackR sounds like it's better than those, if it's proven reliable and accurate. Tape one to the underside of your dash, and you'll know immediately if the vehicle you left in long-term parking at the airport moves while you are absent.

Sounds like it isn't limited to vehicles, one could use it on laptops, etc.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived