brakes locking

GlennWest

Could I be hooked up to wrong air supply. Light, very light, braking ok. Otherwise Teton tires lock. I double checked wiring and it is right. Any amount of normal breaking locks Teton tire, smokes

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Does adjusting the Hayes do anything? The knob is opposite of what you would expect,

"Turning the handle clockwise will decrease the rate of application of the trailer brakes, while counter clockwise will increase the rate of application."

So if you turned it counter clockwise to put it at its lowest setting, it was actually at it's highest.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you step on the pedal and the knob moves, then you have brake applied air to it.

Do you have a DC amp meter? You can measure the amperage on your Blue output wire based on the applied brake pedal application.

I have a meter and am in the north Houston (Conroe) area. I'll have some time available late next week or next weekend if you want to trouble shoot it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hayes had a bad run. There are several others that had a controller that never worked properly out of the box. Mine let the magic smoke out of itself....the replacement seems to work. If or when this one dies, I'll go with the direct link as well.

Or maybe by then we'll have a different rig with Blue Dot....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you go with direclink, you will have the trailer brakes adjusted too tight and you will need to replace brake pads in a year. Adjust is to 1 or 2 and see how that works. I like that I'd it is raining I can just tap,the button a couple times and reduce trailer braking.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Electric over hydraulic Glen? If so you need an electrical load so the pump will function correctly. A brake magnet or two most say works, but I had a couple of these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221468420028?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true in parallel with the pump and worked like a charm!

I also worked my Hayes over this summer and a few minor adjustments inside and lubed it for a huge difference. I was seeing full application by 15psi so not much adjustment available. I think now it takes 45 psi to get full application.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

No all electric. Would like to upgrade but not at this time. When they are ready to replace, likely. They stop gpod, too good, lol. That unit is new this spring. Maybe I should disassemble mine.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yep, pull it apart! Mine had the plastic part that adjusted the gain installed wrong. I either stretched the spring or replaced it with a stiffer one. Also I remember making a spacer between the air cylinder and the rod.

Works great now.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Pulled apart. Screw with nut inside holding circuit board in place loose. Board moving when arm moves. Tightened. See nothing else. I did have on least gain. Also my meter is 10 amp max. How many do I need

I think each brake magnet will or should draw 4amp at max input.

10amp reading should show that they work. Have your wife apply a light pressure on the brake pedal- just enough to make the applied pressure move to 10-15 lbs or so,l as you measure with the meter.

Have the gain on the Hayes turned all the way down to lowest point, step on the pedal- measure.

Turn knob 1 turn up in gain- Measure

Turn knob again etc. You should be able to see an increase in output.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

6 magnets should be in the 10-16amp range depending on brand and ratings.

Can you modulate the controller now? How much applied pressure does it take to max out the lever to the right? My issue was that it only took 15psi or less to max it out wiht the gain on the lightest setting. I also had a noticeable click from the controller when I applied the brakes. This was "Wasting" about half of the little air cylinder's stroke before it touched the lever.....I made a spacer to take this up. The heavier spring made it take 45 psi, so I was able to dial the gain up and actually modulate the trailer brakes on a normal stop.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

• 1 month later...

Ok, got dc amp meter. At full lock reading 6.7 amps at camper on blue brake wire. It goes from - reading up as air is applied or manual enguagement, sliding knob. Sounds like I have brake magnet problems. If so, I likely will upgrade. Also at each wheel reading 1.4ish each wheel at full lock. This is controller on lowest setting

Archived