Truck weight and upgrade options

PEIFamily

Well, after driving the truck as a daily driver when the family wants to go somewhere for the last 7 weeks in Wichita, I realized how much of a pain a 13 speed is as a daily driver in city lol.

Options are:

1. to upgrade to a jeep to tow (if we have enough room) or some other smaller car on a ramp.

2. buy a car to use down here, but that would require storing it for 6-7 months a year while we are in Canada.

3. Tow a jeep behind.

We are currently 68.5 ft overall length, If Phil is reading this thread, I mean 58.5 ft since we are heading to Texas next week ;)

Towing another vehicle behind could be a pain as we would be travelling through a lot of the northern states that would frown upon the length as we would easily be pushing 90ft.

The jeep on the flatbed, not sure if that would work due to being singled long (front axle weight)

Attached is the weigh slip and the RV weight with smart car on right behind the cab and about 150 gallons of fuel.

Would the jeep put us way over the front axle weight? (I have a 13200 front axle, truck is a Volvo 670 singled long and the bed is extended to put the ET hitch a few feet behind the rear wheels)

1_zpsaytwjmrp.jpg

2_zpsmizapjnj.jpg

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Might be easier to drive two vehicles for the twice a year trip.

We travel from PEI to Kentucky (for a week) then to Kansas, to Texas and back to Kansas, then back to PEI. round trip is about 6000+ miles. Wifey could maybe do the drive between Kansas and Texas, but not much further then that. She prefers to navigate :)

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Happy New Year PEIFamily......

Take a look at my new thread called "Weighty New Year Resolutions......

The calculation model in my post could be used to answer your questions about loading a jeep on your truck.

The process is easy and the answers can be confirmed at the scales.

Drive on........(some weighty issues have easy answers)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Happy New Year PEIFamily......

Take a look at my new thread called "Weighty New Year Resolutions......

The calculation model in my post could be used to answer your questions about loading a jeep on your truck.

The process is easy and the answers can be confirmed at the scales.

Drive on........(some weighty issues have easy answers)

Happy new year as well and may your 2017 be filled with cheap diesel, zero breakdowns and always green lights ;)

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

phoenix2013, on 28 Dec 2016 - 9:40 PM, said:

Wife can navigate, but if the roles were reversed, she'd be driving the rig, I would be following in the Jeep.

We also have a "navigation assistant", her name Sheila.

She speaks to us with an Australian twang through our Garmin.

That option is out, wife won't even attempt to learn to drive it, since it is a 13 speed. :(

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Based on what info you have provided it may be possible to do what you are thinking but you need more info.

Your current weight ticket shows you have 2000# left on the front axle and about 4000# left on the rear axle. You also weighed with the smart so you can add that weight. I suggest you weight the truck and trailer without the smart to get correct baseline. Don't forget to get truck only weight so you can calculate current pin weight.

Then you need to get your front and rear axle weights and dimensions for the vehicle you want to put up on the truck. Also you will need to calculate the weight of the angled mount and any winch needed to get the vehicle in place.

Then you need to use a program like Dolly's to see what the affects are based on where you plan to locate the vehicle at.

Don't forget to check for room for trailer swing with current pin location.

You may find you need to move pin back to help unload some weight from front axle. This will add some length but you might be able to change pin box to get some of it back. It would still be shorter than double towing.

Another option would be to go to a toyhauler that can handle the vehicle in the trailer.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Also look at other vehicles that are 4 adult capable. I haven't run a search, but there are other cars/SUV's that are reasonably short that could be carried. Mini Cooper, Fiat500, might be an option to carry length wise, but not put you too long overall.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The Chevy Trackers and Suzuki Sidekicks may work too and come in 4wd.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived