Domicile Pros & Cons

If they are in college that should be THEIR concerns not yours.  As a former college administrator, my best advice is to make your students responsible for themselves.  They are adults and need to work through problems and come up with solutions - which helps them in all areas of their lives.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Barb overall, but I suspect car titling and insurance could make a difference. Who's name is on their car titles? Are their cars insured on your policy? In most cases fulltime students can continue to claim their parent's domicile as their own if it's advantageous to do so.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

But if the parents move, that could put the students as out-of-state and things can get very complicated; again the students should seriously think about whether or not they really need a car on campus, what the costs of owning a car will be and how those costs (and job to pay for them) will interfere with their primary job which is to go to school.   Students should spend a minimum of 2 hours out of class studying for every hour in class - which means if carrying a 12 hour load that is 36 hrs per week that needs to be devoted to school.     Now health care could be another problem that they will need to address.

I'll take my 'job' hat off now.B)

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 years ago we sold our house, put everything in storage, and set our mailing address to be a mailbox in a nearby UPS store.  We went hob-nobbing around the country with our Casita travel trailer for a couple of years and didn't have any problems with banking, insurance, prescriptions, etc.  We'd call the UPS store periodically and they would forward our mail to wherever we were at the time.   We didn't have any problems using the mailbox as our "permanent" address.

So now, we've again sold our house and are putting everything that we haven't sold or given away into storage and are preparing to go full-timing in a larger travel trailer (this one has a slide out that's bigger than our Casita was).   We've signed up with Escapees and have their mail service set up forward our mail and are getting ready to hit the road again but, now I'm reading that the mail service address may not be accepted by our financial and insurance providers because of Patriot Act compliance.     !!

Has anyone here had their accounts restricted or insurance denied because they don't have a "bricks and sticks" address anymore?   We bank with Wells Fargo and the vehicles are insured by State Farm.

Don't know about State Farm, but we've banked with Wells Fargo, with our Dakota Post (formerly Alternative Resources) address for 12 years now. When we set up our SD address Doughterty Insurance who were in the same building as AR. We had Progressive Direct at the time and switched to them as the agent of record with little additional cost to us, when we purchased fulltimers insurance. Then a few years later when Progressive made a 40% jump (w/o any claims) they found us a much better rate with GMAC for the same coverage.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

5 hours ago, DavidCD said:

Has anyone here had their accounts restricted or insurance denied because they don't have a "bricks and sticks" address anymore?   We bank with Wells Fargo and the vehicles are insured by State Farm.

I was with Wells-Fargo when we went on the road for nearly 12 years and never had any issues with them. As far as State Farm is concerned, unless things have changed they do not offer RV insurance coverage for one who lives full-time in that RV. I strongly suggest that you investigate insurance through one of the companies that deal with the fulltimer as a frequent part of their business. I will list some of the insurance agencies that have been frequently mentioned by members of these forums for you to consider contacting.

Miller Insurance.                        AIS Insurance                            RV Advantage Insurance                 Explorer Insurance              Foremost Insurance

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

In law, domicile is the status or attribution of being a lawful permanent resident in a particular jurisdiction. A person can remain domiciled in a jurisdiction even after he has left it, if he has maintained sufficient links with that jurisdiction or has not displayed an intention to leave permanently (i.e. if that person has moved to a different state but has not yet formed an intention to remain there indefinitely).

Traditionally many common law jurisdictions considered a person's domicile to be a determinative factor in the conflict of laws and would, for example, only recognize a divorce conducted in another jurisdiction if at least one of the parties were domiciled there at the time it was conducted.

It is were your vehicle is plated, where you vote, where you pay taxes if the State has a tax.  We winter in Florida and are residents of Florida  have property in Florida however our domicile is in Ohio where our vehicles are plated, where we vote. We pay Ohio State income tax. The magic number for Domicile seems to be 6 months. We were advised to spend at least 6 months in Ohio. we have a S &B there and we plan to return one day full time.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived