Automated Transmissions

Av8r3400

Automated Transmission  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What automated transmission do you have?

• Volvo iShift
    • Eaton Ultrashift
    • ZF Meritor Freedomline
    • Other
    • Freightliner DT12

I was contemplating having knee surgery and having to use my right leg to push the clutch in for awhile. I knew it could happen pretty easy as I never touch the fuel until I fully engaged in gear. I was thinking I could take off with my right leg on clutch, get rolling and go the fuel feed. To stop I would let everything else bring it to a crawl, kick it into N and then brake with right leg.

Ended up I didn't have to. By the time I was ready to roll, engaging our hard stiff clutch really wasn't an issue. I have found that if it has been awhile since driving, if I try and feather the fuel while letting up on the clutch, it really isn't very smooth!

I start while pulling in 3rd, 4th bobtail.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I have a 3 pedal autoshift which the t handle shifter. I can put it in hold (manual) and skip shift it myself. I also usually start in 2 with the rv and 4 when bobtail. If it is in hold I can start higher by not downshifting all the way. I usually place it in neutral at a stop and then place it in drive so all I have to do is push in the clutch to allow it to shift. If I start rolling and it goes too fast it won't shift, I have to come to a complete stop first. No difficult to get used to at all. I had surgery in April and had a rod placed in my lt femur due to cancer. I was concerned about using the clutch and it was a little difficult at first. After I had the clutch adjusted at Kenworth, it is much easier to push it in.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Slightly off topic, but related............ I had a new clutch put in my Mack farm truck recently. Picked it up yesterday and was amazed at how easliy the clutch now works. Much easier than the Volvo. That said, the Volvo has a bigger motor, and thus likely stiffer clutch spring. Still, wear and tear on the throw-out bearing and associated parts can contribute to overall pedal resistance. These two trucks have the same Eaton tranny, one with the big stick through the floor, the other with the tower/t-handle. I like the auto-shift better.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I hear the train a com'in, she's com'in round the bend... oh sh_t! Did ya'll see that? She just derailed!!!

Ain't that the beauty of a "conversation"? The way it can start on one topic and morph into something else? That's what I love about this place. The people here are so tolerant of normal human behavior.

So, since we are talking about trains now, I went to a cool wreck the other day. A really nice 2012 Volvo hauling a tanker full of lubrication oil got hit by an eastbound train and shoved into a stationary westbound train. Rolled the Volvo over and split the fiberglass roof. That sunroof that Rod doesn't like popped right out but was still intact. I started to grab it in case I ever needed a spare. :) Oh, and it split that tanker too....slippery clear oil all over the place. Took me 2 days before my boots felt right.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I hear the train a com'in, she's com'in round the bend... oh sh_t! Did ya'll see that? She just derailed!!!

I ain't say'n nothin about.....Wee-shift.....

Drive on......(ain't that left peddle a....foot rest)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Okay Stekay, I deserved that. :lol: But my point, which I left unstated, is that clutches are not created equal. Don't discount a truck just because it has three pedals, cuz the one on the left might be easy to operate.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Rick, I can't believe you weren't looking at an mDrive update, when the old Eaton was already out. Show the Volvo crowd that they aren't the only ones with hill-hold, hill neutral, etc. I'd love to see if one of these could be retrofitted behind older engines.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Don't discount a truck just because it has three pedals

Absolutely true! I think the majority of decisions (AMT only) are based on the fact that wives are already intimidated by the HDT and guys aren't familiar with a dual range manual. I think an hour in one would open a lot of minds.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

<<Absolutely true! I think the majority of decisions (AMT only) are based on the fact that wives are already intimidated by the HDT and guys aren't familiar with a dual range manual. I think an hour in one would open a lot of minds.>>

Agreed. It would be interesting to run a poll and see how many here have a fully manual with no experience other than driving a car with a stick. Like anything I've ever tried in the mechanical world, it doesn't take long before you can go through the motions without thinking about it. It's like the "shift" program is running in the background.

The only reason we bought the auto-shift is for the wife. She's had her cdl/passenger for over 20 years, but has never drivien the work semi. Heck, we've had the Volvo for 6 years and she hasn't driven it either. It's way easier than an 80 passenger bus full of kids.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Just to bring back to topic, my DW currently drives my manual shift won-ton with the camper. She probably has more miles logged pulling the camper than I do.

Her knee problems are making this more difficult and painful for her, so part of the agreement to update to a new pull vehicle is an "automatic" transmission. I have no doubt she could wrangle a 18-speed with a little time and training. She's no shrinking flower. Having a 2-peddle is a deal breaker, a line in the sand this time around.

This is the reason I wanted to keep this conversation in the realm of the 2-peddle transmissions.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Well leave to a "manual-gear-gnasher" to bring up a wierd HDT two peddle truck and they are rare but.....once in a while you come across a HDT with a Allison true auto tranny.......

Now a lotta folks will poohpaw a Allison in a HDT......until they drive one.....

In a marine construction company I managed for too long we had a few manual tranny and two Allison HDT's and the Allisons were very nice performing and RELIABLE rigs.......one of the trucks was a crane truck and you do HAVE to CREEP gently when crossing a narrow plate ramp over 50 feet deep water from a pier onto a barge....NO jerking or clutch abuse lights allowed!!

They are somewhat rare but they are out there......

Allison owns the class A Diesel Pusher market so tons of RV folks operate them every day....

Just something to ponder....

I have a buddy that swears he is holding one for me to install in the old shaker.....who knows .......too lazy so far so just use the "Scrap-One-Peddle_Auto-Tranny" (RPM up to 1500.....back off to no load...float to whatever gear falls in the hole, power up 1500,,,do it again....)

Drive on......(slushbox aint too bad)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Well leave to a "manual-gear-gnasher" to bring up a wierd HDT two peddle truck and they are rare but.....once in a while you come across a HDT with a Allison true auto tranny.......

Now a lotta folks will poohpaw a Allison in a HDT......until they drive one.....

In a marine construction company I managed for too long we had a few manual tranny and two Allison HDT's and the Allisons were very nice performing and RELIABLE rigs.......one of the trucks was a crane truck and you do HAVE to CREEP gently when crossing a narrow plate ramp over 50 feet deep water from a pier onto a barge....NO jerking or clutch abuse lights allowed!!

They are somewhat rare but they are out there......

Allison owns the class A Diesel Pusher market so tons of RV folks operate them every day....

Just something to ponder....

I have a buddy that swears he is holding one for me to install in the old shaker.....who knows .......too lazy so far so just use the "Scrap-One-Peddle_Auto-Tranny" (RPM up to 1500.....back off to no load...float to whatever gear falls in the hole, power up 1500,,,do it again....)

Drive on......(slushbox aint too bad)

Our Freightliner has a 6 speed Allison 400 in it but I am curious to see what the new 10 speed Allison will do. Scrap has run some tests and fully loaded, they will get to 60 mph in half the time that an automated manual will do. Allison has always made some tough trannies and I can see this new transmission making some inroads in the vocational market and eventually into the over the road market. With the current crop of younger drivers coming into the workforce that don't know what a manual transmission is much less how to drive one, a fully auto transmission with a torque convertor makes a lot of sense.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Dragrace Sat at midnight in Louisville in March Georgia.......... Bring whatcha got! :ph34r:;) TC-10 is pretty cool. It is all for P&D and tanker at the start so I don't know if they'll do big sleeper RV just yet but get the right people talking to the right people and I'm sure something would happen.

I just gotta note that there are 18 years worth of trucks grouped together here. You've got HPI mixed with common rail, mixed with EUI, etc. If the trucks were all manual they would all drive completely different just among themselves. So the auto trans has to respond different just like you the driver would. Be sure to test drive to know what you like.

Archived