Made Joey Legal

Mark and Dale Bruss

At the 2016 Rally my Bounder got gigged by light expert David Dixon for not having width reflectors at the rear. I was surprised that a new motorhome would not be properly marked. Maybe Fleetwood thought the rear taillights were enough but they were not reflectorized lights. When I pointed this out at the Fleetwood repair facility, they gave me two more reflectors like were on the sides of the hitch area. hen I measured the, they were two small, I acquired a couple of Grote Type A Reflectors and mounted them. So thenks to David, I am legal.

DavidDixonReflectors.jpg

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The old incadesent lamps had reflectors built into the lenses. When manufacturers changed over to LED lights, it seems that many overlooked the reflectors. I have hunted and hunted but LED lights with reflectors are as elusive as a unicorn.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The old incadesent lamps had reflectors built into the lenses. When manufacturers changed over to LED lights, it seems that many overlooked the reflectors. I have hunted and hunted but LED lights with reflectors are as elusive as a unicorn.

That's the truth! About the best option in a 4" round light is the Optronics line that can be had with a reflectorized mounting flange. And for the round marker/clearance lights with reflectors, there are similarly few options--there's a 2-1/2" round light that's reflectorized from Truck-Lite, and I think one from Petersen, but that's about it.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

So, you guys have me wondering..... When I built my bed, I put in 4 x 4" led units, two on each side. Can I use reflective tape, sometimes reffered to as DOT tape, as my reflector? I have some scraps of polished stainless that would make a nice mounting surface.

I've been installing this tape on my farm equipment for years. It's amazing how well it holds up. My grain trailer is 16 years old, and just this year, the tape is finally starting to show signs of weathering, and it hasn't spent a dozen days indoors in all that time.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Reflective tape, meeting specific standards (that I didnt feel like typing) can be used in place of side reflex refectors but there is nothing allowing for its use in place of other required reflectors. Of course that is for "commercial" vehicles but since 99.999999% of those requirements come from the same manufacturer standards as passenger vehicles, I would bet they are the same. I might be wrong but I detest reading the 108 standard, so I'm not doing it. I would recommend a good old plastic reflector.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

So, you guys have me wondering..... When I built my bed, I put in 4 x 4" led units, two on each side. Can I use reflective tape, sometimes reffered to as DOT tape, as my reflector? I have some scraps of polished stainless that would make a nice mounting surface.

I've been installing this tape on my farm equipment for years. It's amazing how well it holds up. My grain trailer is 16 years old, and just this year, the tape is finally starting to show signs of weathering, and it hasn't spent a dozen days indoors in all that time.

I don't believe reflective tape counts as reflectors

Reflective tape, meeting specific standards (that I didnt feel like typing) can be used in place of side reflex refectors but there is nothing allowing for its use in place of other required reflectors. Of course that is for "commercial" vehicles but since 99.999999% of those requirements come from the same manufacturer standards as passenger vehicles, I would bet they are the same. I might be wrong but I detest reading the 108 standard, so I'm not doing it. I would recommend a good old plastic reflector.

The distinction isn't commercial or non-commercial (though it affects who can write the ticket, and whether cold Dr. Pepper is of any use!). The red and white tape is often used as part of a "conspicuity system", which is required for all "big" trailers (see below), except when designed exclusively for living or office use (which obviously creates a grey area for toy haulers...). Some of the confusion enters with the term "conspicuity reflex reflector" which can be used in lieu of or in conjunction with the tape, but is different from a "reflex reflector" as required on the side/rear. Reflex reflectors are required on all vehicles, except trailers with a conspicuity system--in other words, there's no exemption for the truck. Even if there were, the details for how and where to put that tape take quite a few paragraphs to explain.

The requirement for number and placement of reflectors on the truck can can be found in Table I-a - Required Lamps and Reflective Devices, and the excerpts related to conspicuity systems and exemptions are below:

S6.1.1.1 Conspicuity systems. Each trailer of 2032 mm or more in overall width, and with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs., except a trailer designed exclusively for living or office use, and each truck tractor must be equipped with retroreflective sheeting, reflex reflectors, or a combination of retroreflective sheeting and reflex reflectors as specified in S8.2.

S8.2 Conspicuity systems. The requirement for conspicuity systems may be met with retroreflective sheeting, conspicuity reflex reflectors, or a combination of retroreflective sheeting and conspicuity reflex reflectors.

A trailer equipped with a conspicuity treatment in conformance with S8.2 of this standard need not be equipped with reflex reflectors if the conspicuity material is placed at the locations of the required reflex reflectors.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived