Truck inverter wiring question

lockmup68

The truck has an inverter wired up (Intellipower). Works great with the genset and when plugged in to shore power. But the Intellipower inverter does not run when the motor is running. There is another (super loud) sony inverter that is wired into the truck house battery bank that works when rolling down the road, but you have to plug/unplug everything from the other inverter plugs to get things to work (like the fridge).

So my question is: Can I wire the main inverter (Intellipower) to work properly with shorepower, genset, AND off the truck house battery bank? That would be three power sources and switching needed, but would eliminate an extra inverter (that screams at you with fan and buzz) and simplify the wiring and manual manipulation tremendously inside the bunkhouse. I do have a truck battery bank and a seperate bunk battery bank on the truck. The genset charges both banks and the truck/motor charges both banks, so I think it is set up correctly that way. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I have a genset, inverter and shore power hookup. I use two transfer switches - one automatic and one manual. The automatic switches between shore power or auxiliary power. The solenoid activated manual switch selects either the inverter or genset as the auxiliary power source from a toggle switch on the dash. Only one of the three power sources can work at a time. I normally leave the manual switch in the inverter position. I have two battery banks. The house inverter is hard wired only to the added bank. When the engine is running I can flip a dash switch that closes a solenoid so both banks charge from the engine alternator. When engine is off the solenoid opens and bank 1 and bank 2 are isolated. When on shore power or generator the converter/charger 12 VDC output goes to a manual 4 position battery switch (bank 1, bank 2, both or off). When the inverter is providing 120 volt power the converter/charger will not power on (using a 120 VAC N.C. relay plugged into the inverter output to control converter/charger power input). There are other methods - this one just worked best for me and my equipment.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

this sounds like what I want to do. I was thinking there needed to be a 2nd transfer switch, no to figure out how to do it. I assume just tie into the shore power line. If not shore power and no gen power, then use battery bank methodology.

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

Little more info, There is a Progressive Dynamics PD52, 50amp automatic transfer switch in there. I don't need 50a for the bunk house battery bank to the inverter for going down the road. I assume I need to put in a second transfer switch. 30a work?

IMG_1429_zpscupra4lv.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit

Archived