2nd trip report

lockmup68

After getting back from WY with the Teton, we've been in remodeling mode. Basically gutted trailer, all carpet out and took off all the doors/drawers and associated hardware. We sanded every single wood surface in the entire trailer and then wiped down with water and TSP (degreaser) for paint, removed the RV fridge, etc. So the trip was to haul the trailer from TN to Raleigh to my buddy who is a painter. He is going to paint all the cabinets and walls for us and also fix the clear coat on the outside of the trailer.

In the meantime, the truck had been sitting, so I got that oil leak fixed (random oil pressure sensor wire thing I posted about). No major leaks or drips while sitting in the storage yard.

We literally finished wiping everything down with degreaser around noon on Wednesday and then decided to head out and get a few hours down the road. Got the escape loaded up on the truck and all of our gear in and then headed to the storage yard to pick up the Teton right at dusk.

So I towed the 1700 miles back from WY without incident. 2 min out of the storage yard and 3/4 mile down the road, I dropped a wheel off the steep side on a super tight turn and scraped the fiberglass on the wheel well. :(. stopped and checked everything out, very minor, so kept headed down the road.

Truck ran great and shifting was good. Forgot how terrible the headlights were. Was also reminded about the phantom left turn signal hitting the trailer brakes sometimes. Need to track that down. We made it to Knoxville and found a hotel for the night. I took time to walk the entire parking lot before pulling in to make sure I could fit. Truck and trailer are long when hooked together, so have to make sure I have plenty of room. :)

In thinking about it, pulling from Casper, WY to TN across the planes, there really weren't any big pulls over the mountains. There is a decent pull between Knoxville and Asheville on I-40, so I was excited to test the truck out a little, even if the trailer wasn't fully loaded. I did have a Ford Escape on the bed and empty trailer is at least 17-18k, so kinda mimicking what we would see normally.

Glad I put the new wiper blades on before we left, rain the whole way. Had the cruise on truck speed of 55 all the way up and over. Jake brakes kept us right at speed with all the other trucks. Seemed to pull decent, not blowing smoke everywhere, so good to go. Trans up and down shifted as needed. Worked good.

Got to Raleigh and unloaded the Escape so my wife and daughters had a car and I used the truck as daily driver for 5 days. Other than parking taking a little more time and thought, worked great. Just have to plan time to let rig air up before taking off.

Picked up my daughter returning from university at the airport in the big rig. She was happy and the guys around her were jealous! :)

Trip home bobtail was uneventful. Will head back in a few weeks to pick up the trailer.

The genset is now shutting off after a period of time. I think the code is 34, coolant/temperature. Coolant is full and I changed the oil, filter, air filter, and fuel filter. Guess I need to take it in to a Cummins service center to check it out.

Thanks and have a great day,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Shannon,

My very first trip was pulling I40 up and over the mountains from Knoxville to Myrtle Beach. Those winding roads and tunnels get your attention but truck performed beautifully. Came back up to Knoxville in a horrendous thunderstorm and downpour. Puckered til I got home but again no problems. Thank you for HDTs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Going back west when you pick up the camper will the first really big pull. I-40 at Black Mountain is the first major mountain pass heading west. It usually slows all the heavy vehicles down. We still had to downshift but were able to hold the middle lane all the way up without holding traffic up behind us. Much different than when the Dodge was pulling us.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Going back west when you pick up the camper will the first really big pull. I-40 at Black Mountain is the first major mountain pass heading west. It usually slows all the heavy vehicles down. We still had to downshift but were able to hold the middle lane all the way up without holding traffic up behind us. Much different than when the Dodge was pulling us.

I've pulled Black Mountain many, many times heading to Tellico with the Powerstroke, so very familiar with it. Looking forward to the loaded Teton pull next time.

Shannon, that's a major redo on the Teton! I'm sure it is going to look nice.

Keep it up. You're doing great!

We hope so. Been a lot of late nights and weekends getting it ready for paint. After paint, all new floors and put all 72 doors and drawers back together (I counted 72 handles, so 158 hinges (some doors have 3) x 3 screws each = an appreciation for the cordless drill. :)

Furniture is ordered and should be here by end of Jan. Next on the list is new tires and wheels (I thinking the hercules tires on the hi-spec wheels). Wiring and inverter install forthcoming as well.

We hope it will be all ready for move in early Feb. Estate sale is mid Feb. Getting excited/nervous/anxious/terrified/giddy to start new adventure.

Shannon

I also forgot to mention, that I was very happy to discover that the Teton clears with the Escape on the bed and I can full 90 degree turn without hitting the Escape. There is about 2 feet of clearance, so I'm hopeful (95%) my 1968 Bronco wheelin' rig will also clear easily. I did all the measuring and figuring before buying the truck from Jay, but my math skills aren't the best, so I was a bit worried I miscalculated. Whew....

I still need to do some bed modifications though: add in more tie downs/d-rings/e-track for hauling various length rigs and things, fix the rear cross member for clearance with the 5ver king pin and add in a stinger hitch, fix the brake controller/phantom left turn signal activating trailer brakes problem, etc. Also, currently, I have to put a 2x6 on the right side tire when loading and unloading the escape as there is a pesky exhaust clamp bolt that I caught on the hitch a couple of times.

Lastly, I need to figure out tool storage in the boxes. What is everyone using? Put tool box drawers into the boxes? Bags? Over the holidays, I'm relocating all the tools into the truck and haven't figured out organization yet. Digging through bags of tools is not very fun, but you can store more in smaller space. I might just try my top tool boxes in the truck boxes to start, but seems pretty inefficient use of space. Conundrum.

Something to check on the overtemp genset. Look at the radiator fins. The genset radiator on my race trailer was caked with an oily mess where the fan had picked up dirt and covered the radiator fins closed. No air flow. I used Totally Awsome full strength and a garden hose to clear mine.

Something to check on the overtemp genset. Look at the radiator fins. The genset radiator on my race trailer was caked with an oily mess where the fan had picked up dirt and covered the radiator fins closed. No air flow. I used Totally Awsome full strength and a garden hose to clear mine.

Thanks for the heads up. As all the crap was falling in my eyes up underneath the genset when I was trying to get the oil filter to spin on for an hour (finally woke up and tried the right hand versus left hand and voila, went right on-go figure). I neglected to even think about checking the radiator for blockage. Will crawl back under when the temp gets above 40 in next few days. Not familiar with Totally Awesome, but will look it up. Is that like Greased Lightning or Royal Purple?

Shannon

TOols/supplies in saddle boxes. I use Rubbermade totes...the good heavy kind, not the cheap breakable totes. Just lift out the whole tote, and then you can dig thru the stuff inside much easier. Keeps everything together, does not rattle, you get the picture. It also contains any spills from things like fuel treatment, oil bottles, etc that tip over.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I use the cheap Harbor Freight tool bags. Set up different bags for different uses.... Regular maintenance, plumbing, electrical, heavy truck etc. I do keep tools in totes as well, try to keep everything labeled, it helps.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Good looking set up. My rig is 67 ft front to rear my guess is you are an inch or to longer.

maybe a few inches longer. :)

I see you are a Louisiana boy too. Pearl River (north of Slidell) is where I grew up.

Archived