Windshield is leaking.

maggie blair

If there is no rust holes, you may just need the windshields remove and replaced with new gaskets. I guess it is always possible the windshield could have popped out some letting water in. Also it is possible you have a marker light that is letting water in and not the windshield.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I'm in the windshield business. Most likely if it is the windshield leaking, the gasket is getting old and shrinking from UV and ozone exposure (natural aging process). This does not mean it needs to be replaced. The gaskets are extremely expensive, and you stand a very good chance of breaking the windshield removing it, which could cost over $1500 per side.

The easiest way to fix this is to put a small cap-bead of silicone at the border of the glass and rubber gasket. Not a lot is needed, just a small fillet to keep the water from running down the glass into the gasket.

This could be a DIY job if you are't bothered by getting up on a ladder, otherwise call your local auto glass guy and they will do it for a small charge.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

It may be that the problem is plugged up weep holes at the bottom of the window are plugged up, which I would check first. If they are the water will collect there and then run over into the RV. You may want to watch this video about cleaning them.

In most cases, RV type windows leak because of a break in the strip caulking that is applied when they were installed. Proper repair of this means removing the window and taking the old caulking material off and replacing it, then reinstalling the window.

412HRRzp4tL.jpg

You can get the stuff from Amazon or most any RV supply house. It isn't difficult to remove the window as you just take off the inside frame(held in by screws, then you push the window out but you will need a helper outside on a ladder to hold the window and prevent it falling to the ground. Here is a video which will show you how to deal with a window that is leaking.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, she says this is a windshield.

I have a 2007 Fleetwood fiesta and the drivers front window is leaking. There are two separate windows on the front of my RV.

Is it? I suppose that it may be a split windshield and you could be right. I would think the wet would be up on the dash in such case? I was not so sure, based partly on the first post made in the other forum location.

I woke up to water on the inside of the driver window. It has never leaked before but we did have a really bad rainstorm here. Any suggestions on how to find the leak would be very much appreciated. The water was in the area below the window on the inside of the coach.

If that is the case, then I'd probably go with post #3 as a first step.

" drivers front window is leaking. There are two separate windows on the front of my RV. "

---

From this description, I have no idea what's leaking. The window in the driver's side door? A window in the overcab? I haven't seen a "split windshield" in eons, and I thought that class C manufacturers had eliminated the leak-prone overcab windows, at least the ones in the front, 15-20 years ago. Maybe a side window in the overcab is leaking?

I would start simple and work my way up before getting into the pulling of the windshield project, jmho. I had a similar leak start on a previous unit and located the leak at the clearance marker lights as Ron P has suggested. Gasket had worn and flaked away. It also would not hurt to apply a bead around the window as Av8r3400 has suggested. Water leaks are always for me a pain since where you see the water, may not be where the problem leak is at as it flows to the lowest point. Just my thought, good luck.

Jim

If you are where it is cold and close your drapes at night and are seeing puddles of water on the dash, it could be from condensation forming on the inside of the windshield. We sometimes have this when it get down towards freezing and we are keeping it warm inside. It is not a leak, but rather drips off the windshield.

Pat DeJong

If you are where it is cold and close your drapes at night and are seeing puddles of water on the dash, it could be from condensation forming on the inside of the windshield. We sometimes have this when it get down towards freezing and we are keeping it warm inside. It is not a leak, but rather drips off the windshield.

An excellent point! We had that same experience, but I didn't think of that possibility. We actually kept towels along the base of the windshield to catch the water when in really cold weather.

Archived