International 9400i Sleeper Pro Con Survey

Cotreker

I am researching this truck because one is nearby for sale. (fixed my typos)
725,000 miles
3 pedal autoshift 10 speed
Cummins ISX 435 hp
Wood deck
Air bags rear, springs front
Looks clean on pictures
Plan to drive it next weekend
It is tandem
Owner uses to pull 5er,

Who knows these trucks, do you like your truck?
Are they quality trucks?
Thanks for your comments

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

I have mixed feelings about front air bags. I have not driven one without but do believe with the weight on the front of these trucks, regular suspension should ride well. I get a little wiggle in steering when countering ruts in road. Everything is tight and am told it is the nature of front air suspension.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I'd be surprised if half our trucks use air bags up front. About what year did they become popular?

When we were shopping, none of the trucks we looked at had air front. That was looking at '98-'04 trucks. Not saying they weren't out there, just didn't see any.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Who is driving a HDT without front suspension air bags?

I looked into this for my MDT. Apparently they are not liked by most class 8 drivers here..apparently, they are somewhat scary in crosswinds....was told to leave things as they are..

The owner of the truck shop I use pulls with a class 8. No air bags up front.

Would be curious to hear more from those that have them..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Like I stated. I have had everything done to my truck to stop the wind/rutts squirrelly driving issue. All research I have done is front air bags. Some might like them, I don't.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The Harvester you are looking at has no particular negatives in the marketplace. During that era Navistar had an excellent reputation and a solid 20% of the market, almost all to fleets. They began their decline shortly after that truck was produced when the came out with the Prostar with their engine in it which was not a good powertrain. Now that VW has purchased 20% of Navistar their shaky finances are on better footing, so your truck will be supported for a long time. There are lots of them out there.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I am researching this truck because one is nearby for sale.

7250000 miles

3 pedal autoshift 10 speed

Cummings ISX 435 hp

Did you accidentally put an extra zero in that mileage? I don't want any HDT with 7 million miles on it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I think the consensus will be that it is a completely different truck than the Volvo. Fair to say it is rougher around the edges. International is the classic American truck, the Volvo is largely a European truck that has been Americanized to be more acceptable in this market.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Who is driving a HDT without front suspension air bags?

I ordered our new truck with springs on scraps advise and I'm glad I did. Our trucks tend to be more top heavy than over the road trucks when you add a big drop box and a smart car on board. The increased sway from an air bag front is a little unsettling compared to a spring suspension and makes for a "tighter" feeling front end compared to the bagged trucks I've driven.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Happy driving Dennis. If you need a copilot let me know I will go with you. Deb gave the thumbs up up on the toy hauler we looked at in Albuquerque this weekend. Will be ordering it after the New year weekend.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

I have a 2003 eagle 9200i, ISX, freedomline, tandom. Just got back last night from a 1500 mile trip to Raleigh and back to haul 5ver out for paint. Fronts are springs with air rear. Just rolled 733k.

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Shannon, tell me about your truck since it is an International, how is the fit and finish? How is the ride? Likes and dislikes.

It's a 2003 with 733k miles on it any my first HDT. It is not a new volvo, but a good, solid, built in the USA truck. The Cummins is a Cummins, just runs. The dash is nice, switches are still tight, The ride is an HDT, I've never driven a volvo, but I assume it is similar, probably not as refined since it is a 5 year older truck than you are looking at. Just a good, solid truck IMO. Mine is a mid roof, so not a tall condo unit. plenty of room, fridge and Microwave behind seats and jack knife couch that folds down into a twin bed. I'm 6'5" and can stand up in sleeper.

Rears are air ride, front is springs. Probably time for some new shocks on front, but steers good, the cut is really nice IMO. I don't know the degree cut the front will do, but it is sharper than my F350.

Dislikes: Only had it a few weeks and only 5k miles on it. I hate the cup holders! :) They are shallow and my water bottles fall over on turns vs. stay in the cupholder. I do not like the headlights. They are the old style halogen 4 x 6s. I think in 2005, switched to projector lights or at least upgradeable bulbs, so you should be good there. Nothing else really about the International. Many things I would change about the bed, the conversion wiring, etc., but the stock International stuff is fine.

Happy to answer any specific questions.

HTH,

Shannon

Thanks for the comments Shannon, good to hear from an owner. So I test drove the 9400 (sat shot gun) and the truck was nice and in good shape. The only thing the shop will need to really tell me is why the SERVICE light is on at the Auto transmission, with an alarm. After sitting for about 30 days it fired right up with outside temps around 35 degrees. We pulled around the owners 5th wheel on the test drive with no problems. I pulled out some oil and having it tested this week. No microwave, no frig, no TV so I get to set up the rig the way I want it. Planning to stretch the frame rails about 4' for a smart car and other items.

Instead of this truck having the Jackalope the owner wired up the 3 relay kit to convert the electrical to the trailer. Is this pretty common? Looks like a nice wiring job.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Take it to the shop and diagnose the trans service light before committing to anything. Get the codes. Is it a freedomline? If so, the freedomline tech line is very responsive and they diagnosed my issue in one voicemail. For me, was ABS sensor and break in the harness.

Cummins ISX? Smoked in? Brakes good?

Did you download the truck checklist from HDT site? Go through every one of them. Almost, prob worth the $500 to have DOT inspection done.

Yes it is a ISX, no it has not been smoked in (thank goodness) and the brakes are good, tires are all new within the past 4 years. Oil has 10,000 miles on it. No it is not the Freedomline, it is the Autoshift. Truck has 725,000 miles and is also a mid-roof with plenty of room to stand up.

I will provide updates on the oil analysis and the shop inspection of the truck / transmission and code readings as they become available. My wife was so nice as to drop off the oil today for testing. Lastly, the truck was dyno tested 4 years ago and passed with flying colors.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Archived