When is it time to hang up the keys to the RV?

Kirk W

I've never relied on reaction time to stay safe, it's highly overrated. Very few accidents are prevented by fast reactions. For me, it's always been about looking ahead, anticipating what could happen, having an escape route, keeping some distance from other vehicles, etc. A half-second reaction time is useless if it takes 3-4 seconds to figure out what to do.

But what I notice as the years accumulate is a slightly reduced ability to keep track of all the traffic around me. Complicated intersections feel more complicated than they used to. So that slows me down, and backing up requires extra caution and mirror-checking.

Recently , I had a brake line blow out as I was approaching an unseen ( hidden by brush ) stop sign . There , a lady had pulled out as I approached and without thinking about what had to be done , I avoided an otherwise very destructive and possibly painful collision . That was nothing other than quick reaction time . There was no 3 - 4 seconds to think . I shutter to even imagine what would have been the results had I taken 3 - 4 seconds to think .

I do agree with look ahead and always leaving an out .

Goes around , comes around .

We all go down this aging path, some slower than others, but we are on the same road! Hanging up the keys to some seems like a surrender to the ravages of aging, a delcaration of dependence and a loss of being a part of it all. Mind works, body does not! I know a couple who in the past year went through this painful transition, she could see but not drive and he could drive but could not see. Their adventures on the road are legendary, scary and getting the keys away from him was like trying to pry a gun from a cold dead redneck's hands. Reality has a way of manifesting itself and several events, non-lethal in nature, happened helping him lose his grip on the wheel. This issue is something I deal with in the motorcycle world and at 68 I really do not want to die because I had a brain fart. It is not an issue for me currently but I am very aware as the consequences could be severe and quick. Using the motorcycle index of competency on the road I suspect I will know as I get closer and just hang up the motorcycle keys in an act of self preservation. The RV is not as clearcut as there is a greater "fudge factor" built in that my beloved motorcycle does not have. The State of New Mexico has seen fit to have me re-up for my driving license every year past the age of 70, so they know I am getting older and that is the age they start watching in my book. I hope to hang in there till the time comes and that time will be determined when travel is no longer easy and becomes a scary ordeal for me and others. As a motorcyclist and fellow RVer I have always had concerns with drivers who should not be driving and we all have seen them. Self driving cars are on the horizon and perhaps in our lifetime, when the RV is parked for good, we can get in our car, give our destination, sit back and just go. The trick then will be remembering where you are going:)!

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

Good question.......

Starting at a very young age I have operated cars, big trucks, RV's very large and small, tanks and airplanes ranging in size from two seaters to those that seat more than 200 people and all of it on several continents. I am 59 years old. I still fly, I still drive.

I have noticed that things have changed. Vision, specifically peripheral and night vision are not what they used to be. (Wearing corrective lenses does not help.) Stamina has gotten less. Traffic has changed.

So, on the road I have adapted. Pay attention! No more 18 hour cannonball runs. Get off the road if it gets really crappy, especially in the motorhome. Not even so much me, the other people that don't adjust well are a big part of it. And so forth.

So my plan is to try and objectively monitor myself. Keep track of my errors. See how I interact with the traffic around me. Adapt as necessary and reduce exposure to high(er) risk situations even further. And then be honest..... when it gets to the point that I say.....dude, you're done. Don't lie to myself. Get a condo near the water and drive a little sailboat at 4 knots.

Not easy....I know. And yes, the biggest problem are the people that are in denial and or bad drivers to begin with.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Being 65 and RVing for over 25 years we made a decision when we started that has served us well and hopefully will for many years to come. We started with a pop-up, moved the a 28' TrailManor then a 30 TT and due to a Tropical Storm after ten years of use we moved back to a 27' TT. I wish I could remember the man's name who ran a self published paper out of the South Florida area and he rarely ever traveled the interstates, instead "shunpiking" and staying on US, State and County Roads whenever it was possible. He wrote terrific stories about his adventures and the people he met and we ran into him at the Florida RV Supershow at the Florida Fairgrounds in Tampa. We monopolized a lot of his time on a slow weekday during the show and spoke about it at length at home and decided to stay off the interstates whenever and wherever possible for our RV trips. We have been forced to use the Interstates a few times over the years but mostly we have avoided them. No truckers, wideloads, speeding cars and other road hazards. We go thru cities, small towns, pass through farm country, ranch country sometimes drives for hours without seeing more vehicles than you can count on two hands. We've found some small terrific campgrounds with great people. Restaurants that only the locals know about and while we are traveling is somewhat slower it is quite a bit safer. We've had leg surgeries, cataract surgeries and general ailments that afflick those of us who are getting older. Our trips and memories have continued to grow and we've never felt safer or more secure as we travel. If you have the patience and are willing to travel longer and slower it is so less stressful that we are convinced we can continue this for many years to come.

I'm thinking you may have run it to a guy by the name of Nick Russell, owner of the Gypsy Journal. He also has a daily blog. If it wasn't him, he's still a great source for fulltiming the country. Check him out.

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

• 2 weeks later...

Very difficult for one to recognize when to stop driving. Dad never did, Mom stopped driving and sold her car @ 86, she's now 94 and travels on the area 10 council on aging bus line.

My FIL, @81 would only drive in the small town where he lived. If he wanted to come to our house he called us to come get him. I hope I'm that cognizant of my driving abilities.

I have noticed I am driving slower this year than prior years; however that may be due to DW's near-fatal auto accident last Feb. and her on-going recovery.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I am very impressed with the responses to this issue. If all drivers were as open to this type of issue the roads would be much safer. It is obvious from the responses (most of them) that our generations of more mature drivers are very aware of what is going on with their bodies and minds. I actually feel a little safer just reading some of the posts folks are making. So Happy New Year and keep driving safely! Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

If all drivers were as open to this type of issue the roads would be much safer. It is obvious from the responses (most of them) that our generations of more mature drivers are very aware of what is going on with their bodies and minds. I actually feel a little safer just reading some of the posts folks are making.

I certainly do hope that you are correct. I think that dealing with my mother, who never did concede that it was time to stop driving, has helped to make me more aware of how difficult it can be to judge ones own abilities honestly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, the day I realized Dad had to stop driving was when I was taking him somewhere. There was heavy traffic on the state highway and I was waiting for a clearing to get onto the highway. Dad said "what are you waiting for, pull out there, that's why they have brakes". I was shocked and speechless for a few minutes. From that day we hid all vehicle keys from him, even tractor keys. He was later diagnosed with dementia.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hi Kirk,

I find your post most thought provoking particularly for us folks who are excessively mature :D I.e. in our late 70's +. Yours truly turned 81 September 2016.

I still have my 2000 38' gas coach, and in 2014 at age 79 took a trip to Birch Bay, WA 2,554 miles round trip. During our trip, I felt very comfortable cruising between 58 & 62 mph. In my 21 years of RV'ing, have never experienced any close calls and I consider my health to be slightly above average for my age, but don't kid myself that my good health could suddenly end.

At this time I still feel comfortable with my ability to safely drive our coach on an extended journey without jeopardizing the safety of others. If at any time I experience a serious deterioration of my health, the keys get hung up and the coach sold.

Although I would hate to see it happen, but perhaps at a certain age it may be appropriate to mandate that those operating large or even smaller coaches be required to successfully pass a thorough physical exam.

My best regards to all, and wishing all a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

. Yours truly turned 81 September 2016.

Although I would hate to see it happen, but perhaps at a certain age it may be appropriate to mandate that those operating large or even smaller coaches be required to successfully pass a thorough physical exam.

I am still a few years behind you, but share your birth month. Having retired from the PD of a city that has a pretty significant older population, you are probably better equipped to judge driving skills than most of us. Even so, it can be very difficult for anyone who is honest to evaluate their own skill level & judgment abilities.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

RV'er's as a group tend to be more equipment and technically oriented with their vehicles.

This probably includes most aspects of driving.

Not that RVer's are "better" or more "cognizant", but I speculate that they are.

(said he, ending in a preposition)

:)

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Way to go!!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member