Is this a Member?

Av8r3400

(Mods: If this is not appropriate please delete this thread.)

Is this Rig owned by a member of this forum? I found this image on the net and really like the look of how this HDT is set up. I'd like to learn more about it if possible.

post-56018-0-56014300-1482016197_thumb.jpg

It appears to be singled short (as I would like to do) and color matched very well to the 5er (as I would also like to do).

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

It is precisely the layout I would do if I would start from scratch. Toyhauler configuration, single axle or tandem don't really care, but the 5th wheel is right over the axle where IMHO I think it belongs, instead of some extended frame behind the axle to make room for a Smart or other toys and correct steer axle weight problems.

Boy is this ever going to start some discussions.....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff,

I would agree with you 100%, IF we could legally have a 48' or 53' RV trailer. In my un-professsional opinion, a 48' spread axle with air ride on 22.5 rubber would be a great starting point for a stacker. And I could be shorter than we are now, overall.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Its a Volvo VNL6_T630.

The placement of the 5th wheel looks like the only problem I have with it. Since you can't put an ET or trailer saver over the axle, that's probably the original commercial 5th wheel plate. I would defiantly want to use a suspended hitch, which means it would have to be slightly behind the axle.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Its a Volvo VNL6_T630.

The placement of the 5th wheel looks like the only problem I have with it. Since you can't put an ET or trailer saver over the axle, that's probably the original commercial 5th wheel plate. I would defiantly want to use a suspended hitch, which means it would have to be slightly behind the axle.

We have a Trailer Saver over our axle.

1998 Volvo 610

I really want to keep our truck short, so we have plans for a 47' Toy hauler..... it's huge but will keep our overall length within reason.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jeff,

You either tow it or carry it. We all know the trade offs. Less living area (tow), longer truck (carry).

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Its a Volvo VNL6_T630.

IIRC it belonged to a couple who had it for sale last year. It had an RV hitch, but it was non-airbag so he mounted it on the frame.

I like rick's thoughts on a 48 or 53' trailer/toyhauler on 22.5 rubber, would it need to be tandem axle with the standard 20k semi trailer axles? Maybe a single axle moved forward enough for the garage behind the axle with a lower floor in a stacker garage. I'd also consider moving the 5th pin back under the nose of the trailer "European style". If the trailer was purpose built with air ride for use with a HDT would a suspension hitch be necessary or would a commercial 5th hitch be sufficient?

Here is your rig.

Space Craft built it, 52' with 12' of it being a stacker garage. It was for sale at $225k

Perfect, that solves the dilema of RZR vs Jeep! Take them both! Now to dig up that 225K! I don't know that I had ever seen my dream rig yet, but that quite possibly could be it!

I found a trailer a few years ago that was close to being my dream. 48' spread axle with stacker in the rear, newly re-modeled, and nicely finished. Very reasonably priced at well under $100k. Couldn't get my bride to go for it, besides being over length for RV in most states.

There are occasionally some very interesting units on Racing Junk.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick;

Lack of creative thinking bud. All you need is a removable corn crib that fits the stacker area and you're golden...(not counting the legal issues, insurance issues, heavy equipment to swap the crib in and out, and...and,,,and,,,)

Merry Christmas

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I'' bite. Jeff! I've run my HDT/5r setup both ways--commercial hitch "where it belongs" over the axle, and a setback air hitch. Not for toys, just wanted it back. I also have a full semi/hopper bottom setup. And as a farmer drive all kinds of stuff.

There is no question which setup is easiest to back up. Its the semi with the wheels at the tail of the trailer. Just have a big enough area to start the trailer moving toward where you want it. There is also no question in my mind which way the 5R works best...hitch at the tail. Why? Having the wheels near the middle of the 5r, the hitch at the tail makes it way easier to "Steer" the trailer in limited space. When I switched, the difference was huge. BUt then, I'm ised to tractors with the hitch point behind the tires..so maybe I'm biased?

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

That's how my truck is setup. 630, singled short, with the ET hitch right behind the axle. Keeps the truck as short as possible to maximize maneuverability.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

That's how my truck is setup. 630, singled short, with the ET hitch right behind the axle. Keeps the truck as short as possible to maximize maneuverability.

This is exactly what I would like to replicate. VNL630, singled short with an air ride hitch as tight behind the axle as possible.

Now, to just find the truck...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

I had a 610 with 172" wb and the Trailersaver hitch was relocatable - either 2' behind the axle centerline, or 4' behind. I ran it typically 2' back, since I was not carrying deck cargo with that rig. The 4' position was for a motorcycle. Even with the 2' shift, there was a HUGE and noticable difference in parking ability (with the trailer).

BTW, that truck served as a daily driver for over three years...we had no other vehicle. It was superb. If it had a iShift in it, it would have been perfect as a daily driver. Really, it was not any different than my F550 - except it TURNED so much better.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived