2014 Argosy might be good for HDT use

beyerjf

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do keep track of Freightliner Argosy's that pop up. This one was spec'ed for heavy haul in the oil industry and became surplus when the down turn occurred. As it sits with a 235" wheel base and an extended frame that is at least 6 feet behind the tandem axles there is plenty of room for toys. And with a 14,500 front axle that concern is addressed. 13 speed is a down for some. It is a glider that was one of a group of 6 that were built by the Freightliner dealer in Tulsa OK. A new(2014)never titled truck is still sitting at the customer who ordered it in Tulsa, but has been donated to a non profit organization who is now selling it. Enjoy

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/16970575/2014-freightliner-argosy

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

it is a 12.7 Detroit Diesel without EGR, 1998 EPA level emissions. engine was installed at the factory, the rest of the truck completed by the dealer.

2008 Work and Play 34FK

it is a 12.7 Detroit Diesel without EGR, 1998 EPA level emissions. engine was installed at the factory, the rest of the truck completed by the dealer.

Perfect! Exactly what I had in mind! (Now all I need is a way to come up with a ton of $$! I already have my eye on a couple 5th wheels...)

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Nice. I would love an Argosy to convert. Don't think the DW will go for a new truck and a new 5er in the same year though. Too bad :(

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Nice. I would love an Argosy to convert. Don't think the DW will go for a new truck and a new 5er in the same year though. Too bad :(

Shucks Chad, have them put the Argosy on the Christmas Lay-Away program with a small down payment.....

Drive on....($anta brings Chad a Argosy ...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Gliders are legal. Gray area likely

Glenn,

Not sure even a gray area. Fitzgeralds Gliders in Tennessee is doing a 100 or so a month with rebuilt Detroits and some Cats with pre-emission standards. We were told on touring their factory that those motors did not have to be brought up to todays standards although heard that will probably be changed by legislation soon. I believe I recall though that their gliders aren't California compliant so someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

A look at Fitzgeralds rebuilt Detroits and Cats rebuilt in house. They only rebuild 2003 and back. Up close they are impressive with parts that are better than original.

1lmy39nl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I like the idea of a shorter truck with a pre-emission Detroit, but not the 13 speed. It may be cost prohibitive, but is it possible to order a new Argosy custom spec'd for our use, e.g. singled with a two pedal auto transmission? If we could avoid paying FET, about what would that cost? Let me push that a little further...what about a glider with Detroit 60 Series and a 2 pedal auto? Where would I start to find out...a stop inn the local Freightliner dealership?

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

The gliders produced by Freightliner with the pre emission engine of your choice installed at the factory are entirely legal in all states except California when used as a commercial vehicle. The DTNA glider website has full details. The engines that are installed have to be remanufactured, Series 60 Detroit Diesel engines are still available new and are routinely installed in many Freightliners built in NC and destined for export markets without emission requirements. Indeed even the Cascadia which has always had emission engines in the US market is available in export markets with non emission engines, and is also available as a glider for sale in the US with a reman Series 60 installed.

http://dtnaglider.com/

Although changes to the regulations regarding gliders are rumored, all of the current players in the market, Freightliner, Kenworth, and various vendors who finish the trucks like Fitzgerald in TN or Harrison in Iowa and many others are continuing business as usual. None look for any changes at this point.

2008 Work and Play 34FK

Does the California compliance issue apply to RVs also?

RV's are exempt from the CA air quality resource board's (CARB) emission requirements.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Emissions....Its great to have clean air but come ON. The US regs can be extremely...annoying.

I'm currently working on a power house project for a mission hospital in Niger Africa. Due to the poor local capabilities and poor fuel, etc, they must have non-emission engines--in fact pre-computer engines. We have chosen the good old 855 Cummins as the power plant. You can still order the 855 NEW...just not in the US. I guess you can't ship them into the US either. However, you can ship a prebuilt genset into the US--for remanufacture and resale outside the US. So our Genset supplier is buying new 855 based gensets in England, shipping them to the US, tearing them apart and rebuilding to the specs we want, mating them with the control system we designed, then putting them back in a container and shipping them to Niger. Crazy. Probably would have been better to find a couple 855 engines and have them professionally rebuilt to new spec.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The gliders produced by Freightliner with the pre emission engine of your choice installed at the factory are entirely legal in all states except California when used as a commercial vehicle. The DTNA glider website has full details. The engines that are installed have to be remanufactured, Series 60 Detroit Diesel engines are still available new and are routinely installed in many Freightliners built in NC and destined for export markets without emission requirements. Indeed even the Cascadia which has always had emission engines in the US market is available in export markets with non emission engines, and is also available as a glider for sale in the US with a reman Series 60 installed.

http://dtnaglider.com/

Although changes to the regulations regarding gliders are rumored, all of the current players in the market, Freightliner, Kenworth, and various vendors who finish the trucks like Fitzgerald in TN or Harrison in Iowa and many others are continuing business as usual. None look for any changes at this point.

According to Freightliner this is the last year for them! They are taking orders until the end of year on Freightliners and Western Star but after that they or out of the glider business.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived