Possible Thor wiper recall

ctpres

Important possible Thor recall!
NHTSA is looking into problems with windshield wipers and contacted a member on another forum.
Since I had the same problem on our Thor Challenger I did a forum search on two other RV forums and found over 24 reports with identical problem description - passenger side wiper arm rotating to far and in the worst case wedging under drivers side freezing it. End result - both wipers out of commission resulting in a dangerous life safety situation. Several owners reported same failure on replacement wiper assembly and I found one owner reporting failure of original and two replacements. So it looks like Thor is continuing to use bad stock and not really fixing the problem.
So far there are several Thor products with the same problem: Challenger, Outlaw, Hurricane, Windsport and Miramar spanning product years 2013 to 2016.
If you had the problem described above or any other serious windshield wiper problem - please call or write Larry Long - your life may depend on it.

Larry Long
Safety Defects Investigator
Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles Division
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NEF-140, Rm W48-214
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE.
Washington DC 20590
202-366-6281
--

• 3 months later...

We have a 2016 Thor Challenger 37LX and on the way home from the dealer in Rockford, IL, we ran into a rain storm and the passenger side wiper proceeded to get locked on the driver side. Quite the experience. Had to stop and wait out the storm. Had the same experience two more times. Dealer said nothing was wrong and the correction on the service report says, 're set drives side arm and tested" We haven't had to use the wipers again since so not sure if the issue is fixed.

• 4 years later...

Welcome to the forums, JFF. I am not aware of any actions but you may want to contact the person who made that post.

Larry Long
Safety Defects Investigator
Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles Division
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NEF-140, Rm W48-214
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE.
Washington DC 20590
202-366-6281

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI