Smart tie basket

rickeieio

So, I'm working on the truck, getting some projects started. One is to actually load the smart on the truck. We've had the car 3 years, and thus far have only hauled it in the toybox.

I've been searching the web, and the Resource Guide (thanks Mark), and have found tire baskets from as little as $100/set to nearly $500/set. Before I pull the trigger on a less expensive product, that's still rated for far more car than the smart, I'd like to hear the collective wisdom from this crowd.

I've been using straps through the wheels thus far, and while it certainly works fine, it's a pain to lay down on the floor and fish them through, then thread the ends through the ratchet. Baskets (nets?) would be soooo much easier.

Edit: I meant to type "tire" in the title, not "tie". Fat fingers and small keyboard.........

Be aware that SIze matters. Too large and they don't do anything but add to the difficulty of getting them on and off. I took the "basket" part off and just use the strap with the loop to keep them on the tires. The basket part was too big and just hung down all around.

This is one reason that I cut up the catwalk to make the pads for the tires to sit on. Those guys are not going to slip around at all so the tire straps just clamp them tighter into these agressive catwalk treads.

And yes, I always use all 4.

US Cargo car hauler straps. No baskets. Just straps with sliding rubber tread cleats. They come in any length any type hooks and ratchets

Can also add flat bed ratchets to truck and just use straps.

Works good for me. Had them 7 yrs.

Rick,

I'm not stumping for US Cargo Control but the link I gave you also has adjustable nets. I undid the ratchets and have just a strap which goes into a lash winch on my wheel chocks. Much cheaper than $250. As I said in another thread, I use nets on the front wheels and straps with the tread blocks on the rear. Never had an issue. Also my nets do not bind on any brake lines.

I would forgo the adjustable, unless you really have a need for these to go on different tires. They are a real PIA. Stick with the ones that are for your tires, or have them made to fit. If I wasn't so (thrifty) I would be tossing my adjustable set (4) (as most manufactures suggest) and just have a set made.

I would forgo the adjustable, unless you really have a need for these to go on different tires. They are a real PIA. Stick with the ones that are for your tires, or have them made to fit. If I wasn't so (thrifty) I would be tossing my adjustable set (4) (as most manufactures suggest) and just have a set made.

Rocky,

I should have said mine aren't adjustable, I just used the smallest baskets they had and like I said work fine. I'm not thrifty just cheap.

Archived