Hole in black water tank

Snufy1

After fixing the shower I started checking out the rest of the bathroom. With the leak I couldn't turn water on. When I tested the toilet out it worked fine but i found a hole in my black water tank. it is close to the discharge fitting. Any ideas on how to fix. Plastic tank. I tried the like I used on the gas tank except the one for plastic it did not work.

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

A JB Epoxy patch kit might work. It's the Kit with a piece of fiberglass cloth. Clean the area with Acetone, scuff it with 80grit sand paper, Clean it again with Acetone, and apply the patch. What I like to do is mix the epoxy, smear/brush some on the area, place the cloth on, and then saturate the cloth. Put several layers on all at once. Let it dry and cure. If you need a fast cure aim a hair dryer at it for an hour or so on high. Keep it about a foot away.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you "need" a good temp fix, eternabond tape will likely do the job but can be hard to remove later if a more permanent fix is desired/needed.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

A great deal of the answer depends upon exactly what type of material was used in your tank. There is a welding process that can be used successfully on some tanks. If you use the wrong materials in a repair effort you may make the problems worse.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know what it is made of and Revcon is out of business it is a 1983 tank

I know that if I put the wrong stuff on it could make it worse

I let the putty cure for just over an hour. Maybe I needed to let it cure longer although the instructions said that it cures in 1 hour

I was thinking that if I reapply new putty let it cure longer. Then use silicone and screw a patch down over it and seal the patch.

Or I could use an epoxy like mentioned above and seal it

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

I had a leak in my tank where the flange and tank meet. I went to Home Depot and got a JB weld putty that you cut off a piece and knead it to mix the two parks together. It worked fine until I had the tank replaced under extended warranty. I dumped the tank gave it a good flushing and raised that side up before repair and let it set over night.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I had good luck with "Marine Tex" epoxy on a 1978 TT but it was somewhat difficult getting the tank dried outl. Well not difficult but it took quite a while. I propped the valve on the toilet open with a fan blowing down it for about 5 days.

On the trailer I have now I had some damage caused by a tire carcass I couldn't avoid. I went with the plastic weld but I hired a guy that welded all kinds of plastic tanks for commercial business'. It worked really well and it cost me $80. about 3 yrs ago. I know "some" rv shops may know of someone that does it. You might find out about one at someplace that sells large tanks for commercial use.

I think you'll regret using silicone on the tank. I would opt for plastic welding, most any auto body shop has a machine. You'd have to assure them you have the interior clean and dry. The type material the tank is made from should be molded into the tank somewhere.

Another possibility is a new tank:

http://www.watertanks.com/category/16/

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/34/rv-holding-tanks

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I think that if you want a permanent repair, this is the best answer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived