When does the fun end? Repairs....

PEIFamily

Not sure how this was missed in the yearly inspection of the truck when they did the front tierods, etc a few weeks ago. When they went over the truck, they almost failed me for a leak in the compressor view plug (non replaceable part btw) , any drip larger then a quarter over 20 minutes fails. I fixed that with Jb weld.

I was going over the truck with the whisper today and saw this, it's not leaking but caught me off guard as I never saw it before. How hard are they to replace, safety wise, etc.. What do you do with the old chambers? Is this something best left to the professionals to replace? Since it is not leaking, how high priority is it to replace?

Thanks

Jason

post-31294-0-98753000-1480741014_thumb.jpg

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Just replaced all my cans. Yep, hardest part was getting the old ones off. Had to use the "hot wrench".

Mine were not quite as bad condition as yours but close. The new ones will come with a long stem and must be cut to the length of your old ones. Youtube has some videos on the process.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Makes me wonder what condition is the rest of them are in this should of been caught during your preflite inspection this just did not happen over night.!!!!!! I think I would be fireing my mechanic.

I would replace all of them.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Thanks guys. I have no idea how I missed it either. I am always looking over things. Is it possible that it just blew out the top but was rusted underneath for awhile? It don't look like fresh cracks anywhere, but find it hard to believe it was never seen before. Also had the brakes all done 2 years ago so they should have been showing age then? Even had the dmv guy go over the truck with me about that time.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

It happens. If it has happened in a couple of years you might want to step up to some of the corrosion fighting chambers instead of the off the counter usuals. You'll get a lot longer service out of them. I buy 3030LP3THD and they work well. If you have some extra order lead time available you might look into 3030LP3TSHD as they ought to be pretty indestructable. LTR-T chambers are also really good but you are getting pretty fancy there. Of course these are rears and you need a front but they all follow suit. I buy their stainless clevis pins too. You may have found your air leak and lack of brakes too.

http://mgmbrakes.com/files/5014/2496/8441/5031.pdf

http://mgmbrakes.com/files/2314/2429/4272/5038.pdf

Jason, that's just downright nasty. I've seen worse but not often.

That front, single chamber (non parking brakes) is not too hard to deal with. If you find yourself looking at a parking brake (dual chamber, spring brake) that is in that condition, make sure you know what you are doing. The spring brake side can be under pressure and quite dangerous to a novice. If you get a chance to chat with a trusted mechanic, ask him to give you a quick safety lesson (ie; show you what to do) on how to handle them.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Damn, that has to be the worst one I have seen in 40+ yrs of working on them. But I'm on the west coast so I didn't have to deal with that much rust. As Phil had mentioned if you have to do the rear maxi pots make sure you know what you doing, they can be very dangerous. If a maxi looked any where close to that the pucker factor would be pretty high for me when I went to cage it.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I agree that it is nasty. I seen lots of rust before, but even this caught me off guard. I have no idea how it was missed by me, and a few different shops that worked in that general area.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

in my 7 years of HDT ownership I would say the repair bills never stop. some are bigger than others. Just the nature of the beast. However once you make a repair you usually will not have to revisit that repair again.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

in my 7 years of HDT ownership I would say the repair bills never stop. some are bigger than others. Just the nature of the beast. However once you make a repair you usually will not have to revisit that repair again.

JB

That is a wise observation. There will always be something - EVEN on a new truck. The interval of repair will just be longer on a new truck :)

But seriously, there are always things to fix on these trucks. No way around that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My on going maintenance/fixes have continued throughout the year. January was a partial engine rebuild, Springtime was a new starter, Fall was a rear brake can and yesterday was a new alternator.

Mine being a '99 it will continue to be a challenge, however I started with a pretty low initial investment. Whenever I mention a repair to my mother she says "I think that guy saw you coming when he sold it to you." I just shrug it off, get it fixed and head down the road. Very thankful that I have been from North to South this summer & Fall & have been treated fairly & quickly by all of the truck facilities that I have used. I'm not a HDT mechanic so I have to "pay to play."

Safe travels,

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We all pay to play to some extent.....some with just money and some with money and time. I try to go the money and time route but sometimes we don't get to choose due to unforseen issues. All in all, I'm not sure the total cost of ownership for HDTs is much more than for LDTs ?? It seems a roll of the dice in many instances. I guess that I have been pretty fortunate with my HDT, so far.... Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

• 1 month later...

I had one years ago, it looked fine a few weeks before. But I had steam cleaned the whole truck that day And all that was hold the rusty covered mess on was dirt & rust . As soon as the dirt & rust mixture came off. I then could look and see the spring. That was on a Log truck, Replaced both cage cans on that axle. Other one looked good, until I hit it with a hammer and it was so thin it was unreal.

I had been through 2 inspections within weeks of finding it. The next week was pulled in for inspection #3. Asked the guy (Friend of mine) that had done the others about it. He told me that they looked good when he checked them. That evening he stopped in at the shop. I showed him how bad it was. And lets just say, it turned out bad for a few people after that. AS he started checking those closer. Not just going by it looking good. He had a screwdriver that was used to test them. And found over a dozen in a month on older Log trailers. He told me they looked good, but looks did not always tell the whole story.

Pete

event.png

Archived