Single Axle Conversion... Pete 359

DIESELSUBMARINER

Randy, I was still thinking of singling but at the point of where everything is all torn apart into 100 pieces it might make sense to ditch the old SQ100 and put in a whole new rear assy from something in the 2000's. Automatic slacks, LMS/PreSet hubs, hub pilot studs, steel carrier, air cylinder difflock instead of the old gearbox, etc, etc, it may make your life easier later. Plan it right and with some luck and you ought to be able to find one in an Air Leaf that should still fit in the old truck after all these years. Or at least it ought to be real close. When done, trade all the old stuff off for a let of electric window wipers, LOL.

We still use our bar & chain "drill press" quite often. There is always a freakin spot where there is too much crap in the way or too many holes for my little Hougen to stick to the rail. It works as good as it always has, but trust me I'll try my hardest to zip tie and double sticky tape my Hougen on before I resort to the bar and chain! I'll see if I can get a pic of it setup in the next couple days Al.

Thanks Scrap, I understand now.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy, I was still thinking of singling but at the point of where everything is all torn apart into 100 pieces it might make sense to ditch the old SQ100 and put in a whole new rear assy from something in the 2000's. Automatic slacks, LMS/PreSet hubs, hub pilot studs, steel carrier, air cylinder difflock instead of the old gearbox, etc, etc, it may make your life easier later. Plan it right and with some luck and you ought to be able to find one in an Air Leaf that should still fit in the old truck after all these years. Or at least it ought to be real close. When done, trade all the old stuff off for a let of electric window wipers, LOL.

We still use our bar & chain "drill press" quite often. There is always a freakin spot where there is too much crap in the way or too many holes for my little Hougen to stick to the rail. It works as good as it always has, but trust me I'll try my hardest to zip tie and double sticky tape my Hougen on before I resort to the bar and chain! I'll see if I can get a pic of it setup in the next couple days Al.

Hi Scrap,

Thank you for willing to post a picture or too. I am curious to see the set-up. I am not in no hurry. You just might need this idea for another day. You never know if a mag drill could fit in an area where you want to drill. It is always nice to have another way to do things.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I singled a Freightliner a few years ago. Handling the weight of everything involved was somewhat difficult. The front axle weighs about 2,500 pounds. Getting the drive shaft angles right is critical and finding a good shop to build the drive shafts is important. Depending on how the current truck is configured the brakes and suspension may need significant modifications. By doing it yourself it gives you a chance to look everything over and replace parts if needed. I sold the truck I singled shortly after the job and my next truck I left both axles due to the weight we carry. I would have to think about singling another truck if I was to do it again. I probably wouldn't do it myself and wonder if I would do it at all.

S6hYqj9l.jpg

I thought about singling....then the Dollyomma pointed to the Two tons of hay...two tons of Horse water..one ton of misc horse tack.....and ...and ....so now I am thinking about ADDING a extra tag axle.... with a 20 ft cargo box and fair tail swing singling was not in the cards.

This RV thingy sometimes reminds me of Recreational suppertankering.....

Drive on....(count your axles...today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hello Guys,

I think I finally found the truck, that I want to convert for pulling my 5er.

But before I pull the trigger on purchase, I am trying to gather up some cost estimate for conversion.

The Truck is a 1986 Pete 359 short hood, 63" sleeper and dual axle.

there are two options I am considering :

1. remove forward drive axle, move read drive axle forward and cut frame. the space left, is the same as my 8 ft truck bed, and the overall length would be about 23ft. 1ft longer than my old F350

2. remove the front axle and install a carrier bearing, leave the rear axle in place. The length would be about 4ft more.

so, does anybody had this done at a shop and has a rough idea on either option about cost?

how hard would it be to do #1 by yourself ? (yes, I have tools to do that )

In addition, i know the old 359 has a horrible turning radius. considering this, what is the thought on the longer wheelbase?

thanks for advice in advance..

more questions to come :-)

It;s not a big deal to remove the axles and either way. Either move the rear axle to the front location, or remove the front axle and install a hanger bearing and longer drive shaft.

On mine I moved the rear axle to the front position. If I was to do it again I would likely move it part way forward and drill new holes. Drilling holes is no big deal. Yes a magnetic base drill press would help, but is not necessary. How many holes need to be drilled 8-10? If your not trying to make flat rate or are in a hurry just take your time, use good bits and drill away.

When I did mine I started after work on a Friday likely around 6:30m and by 11 had everything stripped and ready to assemble. The next day I started around 8 am and seeing as how it was Saturday alternated between working on my truck and answering the phone. By 4 oclock I was done. Axle moved installed all bolts and air lines were done. ABS was done. Everything except the drive driveshaft that I had to get lengthed and the proper yoke installed.

All the parts I need to complete this was a few air line furrels, and 4 caps for air lines and a handfull of bolts and nuts.

The next weekend I made the frame for the hitch, wired it and covered it with aluminum checker plate.

I will find my photobucket link and attatch it.

All is no big deal to do and I can't wait to do another one.

Archived