More steps for volvo

Oldnavywife

You need pictures of Rick White's truck. He added two extra steps for his wife.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

As Big5er said, RickW's truck has a very nice set of additional steps. There has also been at least one truck with a passenger side elevator, another with a rear door, the list goes on..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I need a four step ladder for the pass side as well - in case any of you fabricators wants to work up a kit and sell them ;-)

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Isn't there aftermarket ones avaliable for those older truckers?

I think as long as you are using those joints and muscles everyday you don't have a problem. Just don't take a couple of months off.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Here is what I did on my Volvo 610 when I was HDT'ing..

Very easy to do, and worked very well...
Basically used small angle iron to extend the bottom step out one hole...then used some square stock to build the other brackets for the middle steps...for the step material I used what was on the back of the truck, but you can get used step material to match too...I also added a little Bling to it....

If you have fairings you can do similar, but just need to cut a slot into the fairing for the middle step..

Good luck :)

412970927.jpg

412970926.jpg

412970925.jpg

412970924.jpg

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Thanks for the replies. Like the link for the photos. Isn't there aftermarket ones avaliable for those older truckers?

Henry built a "platform lift" which retracted. IIRC the newer trucks no longer have room/space for retracting the lift in the location he utilized

However, Coach Lift makes platform lifts and chair lifts for just about anything (most common are for RVs) - but see the one for a farm Combine (tractor).

It is mounted *externally* - the platform or chair folds out of the way.

http://www.coachlift.com

Another fairly recent (year or two ago) poster searched out a lift for his handicapped son - the solution was a handicapped bus lift from a salvage yard at a good price.

It was mounted under the *bed/deck* of his HDT. He modified the rear of the cab with a door for entry from the bed.

IIRC - Henry & his fabricator also did a rear door mod for ... "Jeremiah Cole" (his name & forum ID) with

green HDT - - "Celtic Pride". He had aged, large dogs.

He wasn't happy with suggestion/s for naming it..... "Jeremiah's Bullfrog", LOL!

BTW - the rear door access allowed for "pull out" steps for the deck. Better climbing angle

No recent posts by Jememiah

Hdonlybob, very nice.

As for joints being used more, after my 2 knee surgeries and the DW maybe carrying a little extra weight, (I can neither confirm or deny that), more steps closer together than the 2 that are on the truck is the answer. We want to travel full time and she turns 70 in ten years, and I will turn 65. I have to get her to like the idea of hdt'ING over a 1 ton dually. She understands my safety concerns and the life expectancy of the hdt, but she has to feel comfortable getting in and driving.

OLdnavywife,

I hear you..

I have had serious back and let problems for years, so the steps were as much for me as my Wife.

I am very surprised that with all the driver comforts in the newer trucks, no one ever thinks about this...to maybe make a third step an option ??

I can tell you it made my travels so much more pleasant, as well as my Wifes..

Cheers man,

Bob

Past HDT owner

You need pictures of Rick White's truck. He added two extra steps for his wife.

As Big5er said, RickW's truck has a very nice set of additional steps. There has also been at least one truck with a passenger side elevator, another with a rear door, the list goes on..........

Short Wife Steps:

Steps.jpg

Built them 6 years ago and still going. Built from scraps under the break in the shop. Took less than 20 minutes (by shop - beyond my personal metal fabrication skills) and just bolt on with no new holes or any other modification to the truck.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Get to a rally. While the wealth that can be learned here is amazing it nothing when compared to being a rally and talking to owners and seeing trucks first hand. A HDT is not for everyone but to really know for sure a rally is worth far more than anything you can learn on the internet.

Before our first rally I was about 50% sure and wife was about 10%. After a few short days I was about 80% but wife was 90%. Touching, sitting in and talking to other owners giving her honest answers on the pros and cons of using a HDT gave her what she needed to make a well informed decision. Today she would not consider any other truck for pulling a large 5er.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Hey there hdonlybob,

Did you sell this truck in the picture a few years agao? If you did I believe you and I were in contact about it

Am I daffy here ?

Yes I did....It went to the Yukon, along with the fifth wheel...they winter with it in AZ...I sure miss it, and it was paid for, but just couldn't afford to use it on long trips....however it sure raised some eyebrows at local campgrounds :) One in particular that we went to often with our Grandchildren was only ~3 miles from home...First morning when we would be there many campers would come over to look at it....and always asked "How far did you come from with this rig ?" My answer was.. "Well I barely hit 10th gear"... LOL

Past HDT owner

This is great, it was really the only objection my wife had, showed her the extra steps here, and this was second to last step.

Final step was an actual test drive which we did yesterday, she's sold on the concept now. DW is finishing up her cancer treatments, and I've been trying to keep her looking to the future and staying positive. This helped, and helped myself out too, nice to have a positive outlook on the future.

What I have been thinking for the same reason is getting a set of steps for a slide in camper. THIS SITE has what I am thinking of. Scroll down and you will see there are quite a few solutions.

I use the folding steps for my pups. The steps fold up and store in the jockey box. I added two bolts to the top and the folding steps. The two bolts fit into the holes on the Volvo treads to keep the steps stable.

I also added a third step.

I use the folding steps for my pups. The steps fold up and store in the jockey box. I added two bolts to the top and the folding steps. The two bolts fit into the holes on the Volvo treads to keep the steps stable.

I also added a third step.

Can you put up a picture of the puppy ramp. I have dogs, and this was a serious DW concern.

Thanks!

http://www.petloader.com/

Amazon and other places sell it as well.

I have used the Pet Loader steps. The steps are wider than the RV steps, which is good for puppies. But, they are heavy and do not store as easily as the RV steps. I had to train my pups to go up the narrow steps, slowly. And, I always "assist" them up and down the narrow RV steps. I would like to "rubberize" the steps.

Archived