Huge Solar Black Friday Sale!

rbertalotto

I buy all my solar devices from AltE Solar here in Massachusetts. My office is 10 minutes away so I can drive and pick up large panels etc.

They are running a Black Friday 10% off sale and a week or so ago they lowered the prices dramatically on their solar panels.

I use a lot of the 140w 12V panels and they used to be $239, now $199 and today 10% off bringing them down to $180!

It's here - Our BIGGEST SALE in Company history! For just 6 days, receive 10% OFF in-stock products starting now through Cyber Monday, November 28th!

Look for the "10% OFF" banner as you shop and use the coupon code CYBERSALE16 when you place your order!

I have no financial connection with AltE. Just passing along a good opportunity....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Sounds a little expensive to me. I wouldn't want to pay more than $1 per watt.

I would.. if it meant I was getting hi-efficiency individually tested mono's with a sturdy frame, low-iron high transitivity glass, by-pass diode, higher quality internals and assembled/warrantied in the U.S.

My panes were $2.15/watt (on an exceptional deal) and I couldn't be happier. Not all panels are created equal and like most things.. you get what you pay for. Just sayin....

With an RV, real estate is pretty limited. The highest production per square foot is more of a concern to me than price per watt.

I buy all my solar devices from AltE Solar here in Massachusetts. My office is 10 minutes away so I can drive and pick up large panels etc.
They are running a Black Friday 10% off sale and a week or so ago they lowered the prices dramatically on their solar panels.
I use a lot of the 140w 12V panels and they used to be $239, now $199 and today 10% off bringing them down to $180!
It's here - Our BIGGEST SALE in Company history! For just 6 days, receive 10% OFF in-stock products starting now through Cyber Monday, November 28th!
Look for the "10% OFF" banner as you shop and use the coupon code CYBERSALE16 when you place your order!
I have no financial connection with AltE. Just passing along a good opportunity....

For large real estate roof tops, a 140W 12V panel will do the job. Those with limited real estate, and or wish to limit the number of panels on a roof. Going to larger wattage panels can warrant the higher costs.

I wanted to restrict ours to 4 panels, but went ahead added a 5th. If pressed, I could add two more panels. (This was about 4 + ago now, and I ended up with 240W 48V Panasonic High Efficiency panels. They were about 1/4 - 1/3 larger length panels, then say the then popular AM Solar 100W or 150W panels. So not an exact footprint one to one comparison. Figure approximately 8 of the 150W panels for 1200W. The High Efficiency, both in handling temperatures better (Less loss of output in higher temperatures.) and angle of the sun (More output earlier and later in the day.) also yield dividends in overall panel output.

And I admit that I've forgot if the 48V vs 12V or 24V panels, makes any difference(?).

I only mention this, because I see that LG (We have X's 24 315W panels on our home system.) now has 375W panels available. These are 72 cell vs 60, and for sure are good size. But 3 panels would cover many RV'er's solar panels needs. And 4 should cover the bulk of high end users needs at 1500W:)!

It all comes down to the real estate on the roof, and how much space you may wish to use on that roof, and then the math on W/$ per panel:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Yarome

Can you share which solar panels you have?

Unfortunately, mine are about 4 years old and are no longer in production. They were through Grape Solar when they had a more robust line-up/offerings. These days they are geared more toward bulk commercial resale but still offer direct sales to end consumers and the option for local assembly, which is still a great plus since the testing is more rigorous and use only hand picked "grade A" cells in the assembly.

To be honest.. I haven't really kept up with current market offerings. If I were shopping though... in addition to some of the things I mentioned earlier... I would be looking at a good solid 18-21% efficiency rating (poly's/low quality mono's are generally more in the 12-16% range), degradation rates.. .35% or better. (Not that I will likely be using the same panels in 20 years, but it helps give an overall measure of component quality.)

All that being said.. with a 25' TT my real estate is extremely limited. Paying more for maximum production per square foot is my primary concern, but it "can" be a balancing act between price and performance for those with more real estate to burn. I still hold to the philosophy though of maximizing production in "prime" real estate over "blanketing" with cheaper, less efficient panels.

Ie., a 100w high efficiency $2/watt panel in "prime" real estate will likely out produce 2 - 100w $1/watt panels that are poorly placed and partially shaded throughout the day. You end up burning more real estate and upped your per watt price to $2/watt for less production... not to mention additional cost of mounting hardware, wiring, and more holes in your roof. :P

"ANY" more production is more production.. I agree.. but, if you're using fairly expensive high efficiency modules (and knowing you don't want to mix panel types and ratings).. do you "really" want to spend $2/watt on panels that will likely be shaded for half of the day? That drives your production cost up to $4/watt for what your $2/watt panel would have produced.

It's a balancing act.. for sure.. and no generalized approach is going to fit everyone's particular needs.

All "food for thought".

If you are looking for the absolute best, highest efficiency panels here they are: https://us.sunpower.com/sites/sunpower/files/media-library/data-sheets/ds-x21-series-335-345-residential-solar-panels-datasheet.pdf

They are usually only available through local installers though, and yes they are pricy, but worth it if you have limited roof space.

Of course you could mount some panels on the side of your RV if roof space is limited, like this:

33otqx0.jpg

29kut8o.jpg

Chip

Archived