Florida HDT registration problems. (UPDATE)

MikenRobin

I have recently purchased an HDTV registered in Alabama as a MH. The title states mileage is exempt and Florida dmv says it is not a valid title. They say the previous owner must have it retitled showing true mileage. I have a statement from a local Leo verifying the true mileage. Do you think the previous owner can change the title? Is there any other options instead of putting the previous owner through all this?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

Florida will not allow an HDT to be registered as a Motorhome. There have been several threads on this forum about this with links to the specific Florida statutes (which include very specific photos of what is and what is mot allowed). Basically Florida will not allow a Motorhome to be equipped with a fifth wheel hitch.

I know this doesn't help with your specific question about the title, but it will come up at some point in your attempts to register in Florida. Several other members have tried and given up the process. A few have done the conversion without the fifth wheel hitch and then added it later and taken their chances. I personally would not go this route with a registration/title issue. It can create some very big problems down the road.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

If the odometer has quit working or the odometer has been replaced, how can the actual mileage ever be known? They don't make sense. There are many states where after a certain age it is listed as exempt. Does Florida check for a working odometer during vehicle inspection or even require a working odometer by law? I doubt it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

The cab computer should have actual mileage stored in it. Do you have on board diagnostics. It is possible to retreave it there

You may need to take the truck to a Volvo dealer to get them to find the mileage.

Give Volvo a call and see what they say.

Maybe Montana LLC for registration

Safe Travels, Vern

Thanks for all the replies.

Rondo and Wrknrvr- I may have confused the issue. The mileage is correct on the odometer and I had it verified by LEO, however the title shows mileage as EXEMPT, and that is the issue.

Chad- Thanks for the education. I was aware of some of these issues however I thought if I had all the documentation they would register it. I am very close except for the EXEMPT on the title for mileage. I really don't want to change my domicile to another state. I will have to weigh that option after the previous owner tries to change the title to show the true mileage.

Thanks,

Mike

GA also tends to use EXEMPT in mileage on vehicles after a certain age. They love to do this on motorcycles especially. I've always had a feeling other states might run into this issue, although I had not run into an instance of it yet. Either way, I usually try to keep them from putting mileage as exempt on any of my vehicles when I'm getting a new title and I feel it helps with the resale, but I usually still have to argue with them about it. They tell me GA doesn't need to have the mileage at this age, but I tell them I want the actual mileage on the title.

Good luck and hopefully the previous owner can help you with that.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I purchased ours in NC, where it was already registered as a MH, and registered it in FL with little to no problem. I just checked our title and it does have a mileage listed. Sorry that probably doesn't help much. It did have the 5th hitch installed on it, but I did everything by mail.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I received my Florida Title with the actual mileage on it. It was a six week ordeal, but it is now over and my new to me HDT "Willy Mammoth" is on the road now. Thanks to Brit (bmzero) for all your help with the DMV.

Really looking forward to the new adventure.

Mike

That's great to hear, Mike. I'm looking forward to seeing that thing hooked up to your trailer and headed down the road.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Archived