Underbody truck boxes

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for opinions on cost and quality of underbody truck boxes. I have found some names in the Resource Guild. I would like to get a quality box at a reasonable price. If you where adding boxes to your truck, would you use the same brand that you have now or would you use a different brand. I have heard stories about paint peeling off, rust, poor quality hinges, etc.. I am thinking about using steel boxes. If there is a good deal on aluminum I could go that way also. The following is a list that I have found.

1) Buyers

2) Lund

3) DeeZee

4) TSC

5) Highway Products

6) Protech

7) American Truck Boxes

Is there any other name that I should look at for boxes ? Is there any surplus stores that might have some boxes or too. Is there anything that I might be missing ?

Looking for opinions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for opinions on cost and quality of underbody truck boxes. I have found some names in the Resource Guild. I would like to get a quality box at a reasonable price. If you where adding boxes to your truck, would you use the same brand that you have now or would you use a different brand. I have heard stories about paint peeling off, rust, poor quality hinges, etc.. I am thinking about using steel boxes. If there is a good deal on aluminum I could go that way also. The following is a list that I have found.

1) Buyers

2) Lund

3) DeeZee

4) TSC

5) Highway Products

6) Protech

7) American Truck Boxes

Is there any other name that I should look at for boxes ? Is there any surplus stores that might have some boxes or too. Is there anything that I might be missing ?

Looking for opinions,

Al

From my experience, Buyers, Lund, and DeeZee are pretty similar in construction and finishes. They're also aimed at the "Cost conscious" crowd. They're available everywhere, so shipping isn't a concern. I think at least one of the previous three builds for TSC. Highway offers full custom boxes, at the expense of shipping costs. No experience with the others.

On the decision of Al or steel, steel rusts. Steel will typically hold up better structurally with abuse. By this, I mean the bottom will bow down, while Al will tend to come apart at the seams. Vibration is a killer for Al, so hinge bolts or rivets will need constant attention to prevent the holes from wallowing out. Both will benefit from a rubber mat on the bottom.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for posting a link to your thread. I am hoping to get some opinions from the people that have installed underbody boxes and also about quality. Maybe this thread will be able to help you also. It is also nice to find a quality product at a reasonable price. I am not sure of what size will be the best for me at the present time. I am still working on the planning stage of the bed. The weather here in northeast Ohio is not the best right now. It was 70*F on Friday and now it is 30*F. Time to put on more clothes and go outside for more planning.

Al

Have you considered stainless steel boxes? Mine were made in Italy and I really like them. For me, they're everything I wanted in a storage box. I can't remember right now where I ordered them from, but I think I paid about $900.00 for two 24" x 24" x 36" units.

They're built to the metric system, but they're very close in size to our standards. The only negative is the backside vent, which can get the insides wet in a monsoon.

On reflection, I think it was D & S Sewing in CT...

Good luck,

Jay

I see 4state has them now..

https://www.4statetrucks.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=D70D004349584461BCB5994EF8B07D16&search_keyword=&opts=&faceted_search_terms=Parts~B69FF63DB5E8432DAD2981383F9C819D%7CTool+Boxes~DC019274E74D4D2BB3FF14E96D8FF43C

In aluminum I prefer Merritt Products, and Chuck Henry Sales in Solomon, KS has an extensive line of seconds and closeout items.

Alan,

I have sevderal Weathergard boxes, and would certainly buy another. They aren't the cheapest, but in the long run, the cheap ones aren't either if they don't hold up.

http://www.weatherguard.com/en/products/truck-tool-boxes-equipment/boxes?ipp=24&cp=1&sort=default&tts=1479674543764

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I am in the process of adding 4 boxes to the rear of our rig. A 42x24x24 on each side as well as a couple 24x14x16. I picked mine up from RKI in Houston and I must say that I really like the way they are constructed and their powder coat looks great. I have a 48" RKI box that has been in the TX sun for close to 20 years and is still going strong. So, that pretty much convinced me to use them again. Jeremy

Hi Everyone,

1) Buyers

2) Lund

3) DeeZee

4) TSC

5) Highway Products

6) Protech

7) American Truck Boxes

Looking for opinions,

Al

Look into Aero or Merritt. Go to Wabash, Utility Trailer, Great Dane.... most HDT manufacturers carry these, and have many sizes. Stick with aluminum, double doors are easier to keep open and less chance of bending them. Aluminum can be polished too!

Bigtrailer

Second on the RKI boxes. I just installed a 30 inch box on my 630 and it seems well made. I was considering using some pick up truck spray on bedliner on the bottom and slightly up the sides to give it some stone impact protection and maybe stave off some corrosion. If all goes as planned it won't be subjected to Ohio winters again.

Hi Everyone,

I did not know that there was that many companies making underbody truck boxes. Has anyone ever stack several underbody bed boxes to make a drom box for the back of the cab of the truck ? I don't know how cost effective this idea is. But it does give you options for the size of a drom box or when you want to add on for more space. Has anyone none this idea ? If so, do you have any pictures ? Always looking for different ideas for storage.

Please keep the ideas coming,

Al

jpar19,

Second on the RKI boxes. I just installed a 30 inch box on my 630 and it seems well made. I was considering using some pick up truck spray on bedliner on the bottom and slightly up the sides to give it some stone impact protection and maybe stave off some corrosion. If all goes as planned it won't be subjected to Ohio winters again.

What part of Ohio ? I am in Canton, Ohio.

Stack boxes to build a drom? Sure, that's been tried, with poor results. A couple who used to frequent here, Hither and Yon, bought a truck from 2L with a stack like that. They swayed, leaked, and moved due to lack of a frame, and were removed, along with the rest of the bed.

I got the hitch, the bed was rebuilt and mounted on Geo's truck, and the boxes were split into seperate units and utilized as originally designed.

All that said, I would imagine a set of boxes could be co-joined with a frame, and function quite well. Just don't stack them with a few bolts holding the top of one to the bottom of the next.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Stack boxes to build a drom? Sure, that's been tried, with poor results. A couple who used to frequent here, Hither and Yon, bought a truck from 2L with a stack like that. They swayed, leaked, and moved due to lack of a frame, and were removed, along with the rest of the bed.

I got the hitch, the bed was rebuilt and mounted on Geo's truck, and the boxes were split into seperate units and utilized as originally designed.

All that said, I would imagine a set of boxes could be co-joined with a frame, and function quite well. Just don't stack them with a few bolts holding the top of one to the bottom of the next.

Thanks rickeieio I will keep that thought in mind. Makes sense if you think more about what is going on with the truck. Sounds like a frame work would be needed to hold the boxes.

Please keep the thoughts coming,

Al

Al,

I don't mean to discourage you, just be aware that the boxes aren't stout enough to take the leverage of being stacked. Personally, I'm thinking of building a frame to hold two stacked boxes above the smart, along with other light items like a step ladder.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Al,

I don't mean to discourage you, just be aware that the boxes aren't stout enough to take the leverage of being stacked. Personally, I'm thinking of building a frame to hold two stacked boxes above the smart, along with other light items like a step ladder.

Rick,

I never thought of it as being discouraged. It is nice to know what could go wrong. That way you could make plans for another way to do things. I have never done this idea before, so I have no idea what to expect. This way I can plan on doing some thing different to hold the boxes together.

Al

Consider a used Knaack box. Some can be found for pretty good prices on CL. Find a contractor needing some $ and you will get a good deal. Then paint it or spray it with some bedliner and there ya go!!

Can be customized inside and they are designed to be moved around, alot.

Marcel

I agree with what was said. Most of the box manufacturers will also tell you not to mount using only bolts through the top of the box when hanging them under a truck. As they will break out around the bolts from flexing. So, we welded ours on in a few places and then added angle iron support pieces to make sure if the box comes off, it is going to take some of the bed with it!! LOL With that being said... When I build my Drom later in life, I intend to build an angle iron rack that will allow us to slide a few boxes in it and then weld or bolt to keep them from sliding out. At least, that is what I have drawn out on my "CAD" program in my head. ;)

Funny you nemtion Knaak. My son-in-law gave me a large Jobox when he got out of the construction business, and I'm thinking of turning it on it's side above the car.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Or put it on a platform. Not sure which one you have but turning them sometimes will cause the doors to open the wrong way, and those can be heavy and can pinch fingers etc if not careful. Or dent cars. I will likely use one when I "graduate" to HDT. They are more cost effective than most of the DROM boxes I have seen.

Marcel

My experience with aluminum boxes is they oxidize. Gets that caulky substance all over anything in it.

Glenn, your might spray a product called ACF-50 (formulated by Boeing during Nam when very bad stuff being sprayed out of aircraft was corroding them to pieces).

ACF-50 will stop aluminum degrading and smells good as well.

A more commercial product called corrosionX works well but it does not work quite as well as ACF-50.

Grumpy old mechanic bragged that a few shots of ACF-50 in his comb-back hair-do drove the chicks wild....must work because his forth wife shot him in the leg but they kissed and made up and they got married again....maybe ACF-50 is a wonder drug.....

Drive on....(ACF-50.....good stuff)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived