Semi Based Trailer - Hitch placement question

les_garten

You can actually build a 48' trailer and be legal IF you forgo a deck. The average length limit used is 65 feet, a 48' trailer gives you 17' to work with. Most trucks have a published BBC measurement. That is the distance in inches from the front bumper to the imaginary back of a day cab or the end of the sleeper. A Volvo 780 is 189" that leaves you with a very close 15", perhaps a 47 0r even 47.5' trailer would be a better fit with that cab. A deeper pin 48-50" will give you a trailer with little to no nose swing. In theory a 16" gap would be enough but, you would be right at cab extensions and be real careful on driveways. There are a number of trucks running tight kin pin settings where the trailer is just a few inches behind the cab extenders. You would also has a lower drag profile and get better mileage. The trucks with close coupled trailers generally run 22-24" gaps, that gives you enough wiggle room in a high angle ramp. If you are really set on a 48' trailer a air slide fifth wheel with a forward stop at 65' would solve the problem. You slide the trailer forward if you come across a situation where length may be an issue?

Steve

Thanx Steve, very interesting information here.

<<Les Garten>>

In many, if not most states, 45' is max length for an rv, trailer or MH. I believe that's true everywhere east of the Mississippi. Somewhere, likely in the resource guide, there's a list of length laws.

Wouldn't it be nice if the laws were uniform?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Also regarding the mini cooper, there was someone on the forum a while back that had one that was building on bed for it on a long nose freightliner. I think he was also trying to put the car at an angle to shorten it up some but was having trouble finding the maximum angle that was allowed for the motor. I believe he had some health issues and sold the HDT before it was finished. You might find the postings by doing a search.

With a low sitting car like a mini, you also have to watch your break over clearance which might mean longer ramps and then where do you store them.

You can build a bed that will allow you to drive over the hitch but then it won't work with a typical semi pin arrangement on the trailer. I know because I am having that issue with the Space craft trailer we are designing.

Dave

Are you able to build a deck at all with the Spacecraft Semi? Looks pretty tight between the trailer and the frame as it is.

<<Les Garten>>

Are you able to build a deck at all with the Spacecraft Semi? Looks pretty tight between the trailer and the frame as it is.

Sure, it just has to be a step-deck. The smart or other deck cargo is on a deck that is the "conventional" height for haulers. Then at the hitch it steps down to the height required to clearance to the trailer (eg. the clearance is (mostly) on the truck, not on the trailer, like a conventional 5th).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Sure, it just has to be a step-deck. The smart or other deck cargo is on a deck that is the "conventional" height for haulers. Then at the hitch it steps down to the height required to clearance to the trailer (eg. the clearance is (mostly) on the truck, not on the trailer, like a conventional 5th).

You have to step down at the point of allowing the trailer to do its swing. We start stepping ours down just in front of the hitch and works with our current trailer but our hitch head needs to stick up above the deck by about 8" to allow for trailer tilt if we had a semi style trailer. After looking at our truck when we stopped by earlier this year, Spacecraft has some ideas on how to make it work (mainly by using a dropped pin).

You can see our issue in this picture.

DSC05308_zps1f3351d2.jpg

Now granted, I have a higher deck than most at the front portion but you would pretty much have to get the deck about level with the frame rails at the area of the trailer swing to allow for a trailer to miss it.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Yes, you can do a dropped pin on the trailer.....Wyatt and I discussed this in the past. I'm not sure I really like that idea, though, since it has implications on the floor level of the trailer. You cannot have it both ways...there has to be some clearance on the truck if you want the flat floor.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a flat floor fifth that is actually lower in the front than Marsha's semi units, the pin is level with the top of semi frame. It required placing an ET on the bottom flanges of the frame and the deck was sunk about six inches below the top of the frame (on either side of the hitch) to allow for clearance of the fifth outside edges in off camber turns.

It's been done and built and you can see the truck in Port St. Lucie, Florida, give me a call.

You can see some of the detail here.

DSC_0037.jpg

Note how thin the deck is in the rear and below the top of the tires and the top of the rails in the center.

I have a flat floor fifth that is actually lower in the front than Marsha's semi units, the pin is level with the top of semi frame. It required placing an ET on the bottom flanges of the frame and the deck was sunk about six inches below the top of the frame (on either side of the hitch) to allow for clearance of the fifth outside edges in off camber turns.

It's been done and built and you can see the truck in Port St. Lucie, Florida, give me a call.

You can see some of the detail here.

DSC_0037.jpg

Note how thin the deck is in the rear and below the top of the tires and the top of the rails in the center.

Thanx, I sent you a PM

<<Les Garten>>

Archived