SpaceX just took another step toward delivering superfast Internet from space

RV_

I posted about this when Google gave Musk 1.5 billion dollars to build a fleet of micro satellites to do LEO broadband. IT looks like the end run is beginning. From 17 November 2016.

Excerpt:

"SpaceX has asked the government for permission to test what could someday be a massive network of satellites that will beam Internet service down to Earth.

The application, filed Wednesday to the Federal Communications Commission, proposes a fleet of what will eventually include more than 4,400 satellites, covering the United States and the rest of the globe. SpaceX needs regulatory approval from the FCC to use the wireless airwaves that would power this network.

Orbiting more than 700 miles up, the satellites could provide speeds as fast as 1 gigabit per second, per user, according to a technical attachment to the filing. That's as much bandwidth as some premium Internet providers offer entire households. SpaceX would start by launching 800 satellites, the filing said.

“The system is designed to provide a wide range of broadband and communications services for residential, commercial, institutional, governmental and professional users worldwide,” according to the technical attachment. “Once fully deployed, the SpaceX System will pass over virtually all parts of the Earth’s surface and therefore, in principle, have the ability to provide ubiquitous global service.”

Each satellite would be able to cover a territory on the ground spanning more than 1,300 miles and capable of talking to other satellites to distribute traffic loads.

SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk announced the plan in 2015, saying it would cost $10 billion and provide an alternative to slow, uncompetitive Internet providers on the ground.

“In cases where people are stuck with Time Warner or Comcast, this would provide an opportunity to leave,” he said."

I'm in! The full article with a bunch of hot links to related details can be found here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/11/17/spacex-just-asked-to-test-its-orbital-internet-service-made-up-of-4400-satellites/?wpisrc=nl_tech&wpmm=1#comments

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I read this article yesterday, and thought of our poster RV:)! Meant to send you a PM about it, and then just did a 'Walk off!'...

Really neat how technology keeps pushing the envelope... And this is one that could really help spread the internet into places where cable/towers will never go.

Thanks for posting it RV/Derek!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

YW Smitty,

This is the result of the $1.5 billion that Google gave Musk to develop the mini sats in Jan 2015. Google is giving up on fiber and will partner with Space X which has the rockets. They are talking GB Internet speeds with about the dame latency as a cell call to California. Musk wanted this too. Maybe now we can avoid the local Cable monopoly holder in areas like mine. I detest my provider who has consistently treat us as stupid customers with no memory past a news cycle.

For RVrs this will eliminate any problem with Internet anywhere. Likely less expensive than my $72.00 a month 200 mbps unlimited bandwidth for $10 more. We do stream a lot and have exceeded 400 GB of bandwidth in a month already. Once they have the sats up and running RVRs can download Sling TV and get the cable channels they like for $20 a month. We missed CNN, Comedy Central, Food Network, History Channel, BBC etc. I am amazed at how much TV like Sling TV's NBC on demand is available to catch up on their shows we missed. They are there to be streamed the next day.

Remember how cable Internet put the independent ISPs out of business? Satellite will soon do the same for them. Google wants a bottom tier for free to all. The faster paid tiers inexpensive.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived