Weed burner for 2012 Volvo

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am in the planning stage for a weed burner on a 2012 Volvo with a D13 engine. I thought I remember someone talking about the number of elbows and pipe size. If you do a weed burner that you need to keep the same number of elbows and the pipe size the same. This is because you do not want to change the back pressure of the system. Did I remember this correctly ? Is it best to have the exhaust system on the passage side of the truck ? Is there anything that I am missing ? I plan to use the stock parts from the truck.

Thank you for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The exhaust comes out of the engine on the passenger side so the exhaust generally stays on that side. Far as changing the back pressure, that is not much of an issue with a turbo charged engine. The only time it is a problem is when the exhaust is too restrictive. You could run a straight pipe off the turbo and the engine will run just fine. You may even drop the EGT just a bit too.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Alan,

If I recall correctly, you can also drop between the frame rails pointed down in the middle rear of the truck. Doesn't come out either passenger or drivers side. Motorcycle drivers next to you would appreciate not having their ankles cooked.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We are in the process of converting our exhaust while building the bed.

It looks like it is going to be fairly straightforward, with the hardest part being to cut the outlet of the DPF and rotate it to face more toward the back of the truck. Other than that, we should be able to use the elbows and straight sections to build the new exhaust.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

There may be a sensor in the pipe that you have to make sure you move, as well.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The exhaust comes out of the engine on the passenger side so the exhaust generally stays on that side. Far as changing the back pressure, that is not much of an issue with a turbo charged engine. The only time it is a problem is when the exhaust is too restrictive. You could run a straight pipe off the turbo and the engine will run just fine. You may even drop the EGT just a bit too.

Our weed burner exhausts on the passenger side as most seem to be configured. If I were to start from new I might consider exhaust on the driver side or maybe revert to a short vertical stack.

Often in town we drive in the right lane and folks on the sidewalk do not like having the Trolley exhaust blowing on their feet and legs. Bike riders sometimes wave with one finger...so friendly...

One time we were shoehorned into the right lane at the CA AG-inspection just West of Parker AZ (four corners) and things got ugly in a hurry....it was mabe 95f and the inspectors office airconditioner intake was at waist level right in line with the trolleys weed burner and it took less than a minute to "smoke-out" ALL of the inspectors.....in a flash a lady with a gun on her hip was speaking "forcefully" up to me and waving me out of the inspection lane and over to the side of the back lot. She stomped off and went to sit in her CHP car.....

So....the inspectors still had Dolly-the-paint-horse-transit papers so....I set the park brake and walked over to the herd of inspectors and ask if I could have the horse papers back.....hummm they all turned around a glared at me and boy oh boy did the temp drop.... One inspector said "sir please go wait in your truck and after the air in the office clears some in a few minutes I will bring your papers out to your truck"...... Gulp...

Drive on.....(weed burners ....be careful who you burn)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Exit under the truck with turn down would be my first coice, but it can raise a lot of dust on gravel road in camp grounds.

As a motorcyclist, I appreciate the concern shown here for others. I just wish the yahoo's in pick-ups would be so polite.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

He wont have a smoke issue with a 2012. Dolley has a polluteasauras from the ancient times :lol:

With under 30k on a New M11 the Trolley never smokes...run the exhaust analysis and it come up VERY clean burning....you want to see SMOKE watch a 2012 at regen-cycle....

Drive on ....(don't regen-cycle next to the air conditioner intake)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hi Everyone,

From what I have been reading there is not to much concerns about the number of elbows or the size of the pipe. As long as the size of the pipe is not smaller than the stock size. Is there a special clamps or just use the stock one ? My plan is to stay stock as possible. My plan is to add a tool box right behind the cab. That is the reason for the weed burner. Or maybe I can find a tool box that can fit behind the cab with out having to do anything with the exhaust. Is there any good ideas for tool boxes with out breaking the bank ?

Thanks for any ideas,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

There may be a sensor in the pipe that you have to make sure you move, as well.

On our 2008, the last sensor is a temp probe just downstream of the DPF. It is a minor adjustment.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Never had a problem with the location of my exhaust (out the pass side thru the fairing). Fan makes more dust when it comes on than the exhaust, so I put a switch in to disable it.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Not that this group is going to run into the problem, but in the industry weed burners are a dispised option. Mostly coming from the fact that we live/sleep in our trucks, and you have some yahoo who insists on parking next to you on a near perfect 70 degree day who idles his truck all night. Even in the winter, when my windows are closed, my ventilation system still picks up the smell even if I have it on recirculate. Although the carbon monoxide situaltion is different than a gas powered vehicle, I cannot consider it healthy to dump the exhaust below the cab and have someone occupy that cab when the vehicle is standing still.

I understand the need, car haulers and others where a high mounted exhaust would damage the cargo/ or trailer. I just don't like it.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Yea you don't want to move the NOx out sensor on DEF trucks. You'll end up with the MIL light from hell. You pretty much have to stick to tailpipe change only. If the RV theory is right about super light easy hauling then you'll be doing plenty of regens so design for a hot pipe - sst band clamps, bellows not flex, try to use your v-band ends as much as you can, etc. Desorb programming didn't generally start until 2013~ish so your '12 probably puts out the smoke when starting a regen so yea plan your exit location for that too. If it doesn't exit at 13ft high be sure to use a diffuser too.

Size of pipe is of concern but it kind of goes without saying on an aftertreatment truck. The whole thing is based on backpressures so don't mess it up...... ;) Safest thing is probably to find out what Volvo does for a 230" WB horizontal truck and built that?

Reading this makes me glad I don't have to worry about a Regen process with my truck. My weed burner has an elbow pointing down and to the drivers side from the passenger side. It doesn't stir up much dust because I am usually just idling through the campgrounds. The exhaust of the air compressor at it's shut off causes more dust. There is a black mark on the driveshaft so I'm glad it's under the truck and not on the front of my trailer.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived