MILITARY PENSION VS. FULL-TIMING

POPS&KIKI

We're military retirees and are going full time soon. I receive my meds and VA pension which is generally managed by the state of Alabama. If we do Escapees domicile thing, how will this impact my VA disability payments and meds? Will I need to register with the state of TX VA system?

If you plan to change your domicile to TX then I would also move your primary doctor to TX as well, but if you have maintenance medications and need to visit your doctor annually or more frequently, then you need that to be somewhere that you expect to visit on a regular basis. Livingston, TX has the advantage of being pretty close to several VA facilities. If you have a spouse who needs healthcare as well, you need to consider her insurance situation as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Your retired pay and disability payments will be sent to your address in DEERS with no problems, update that and your pay will move. I don't know Alabama rules but I learned the hard way in Arizona not to have income reported to them if I was not a resident.

VA meds I'm not sure about but Express Scripts sends to any address you ask them to with minimal problems.

Moving your VA care to Texas would be good, help to sever domicile ties to Alabama if they ever had a question. How necessary it is really comes down to how aggressive AL is in enforcing taxes and domicile.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have banked (and had insurance) with USAA for decades. Army retirement pay and other income streams are deposited directly to our USAA accounts and we do all of our banking on-line. USAA doesn't care where you are domiciled. One advantage to the Escapees/Texas domicile is that there is no state income tax in Texas. It was very easy to establish domicile, get drivers' licenses, register the vehicles, and register to vote in Polk County. In addition, the Escapees Mail Service has been very good to/for us - great to work with. Meds, via Express Scripts, go to our Escapees mail address and are forwarded unless we are somewhere long enough to give Express Scripts a temporary mailing address. We rarely have need to physically return to Livingston, but if we do, it's located centrally as we travel east to west and vice versa.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I'm not clear what you mean by your VA pension being managed by state of AL. What does the state have to do with it??

Are you receiving your meds thru the VA? I believe they will ship them but I did find that changing your address with the pharmacy is cumbersome st best

You can ask your VA Dr to send your scripts thru Express Scripts but not all willing

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived