Using Aqua Hot heating while moving down the road.

Jolsonwa

This should be a no brainer but I can't seem to make the aqua hot heating system work while driving down the road. I think I should just have set thermostats to turn heat registers on and turn on the diesel burner? Do I need to start the generator? Thanks anyone on an thoughts.

Welcome to the gang:)!

Add a bit more info. The model of your AquaHot. Does it have the engine loop? (This is where the either the AquaHot can be used to Pre Heat our engine in cold weather, or conversely, the heat form your engine can be used to keep your AquaHot tank hot while driving.

If you have the 'engine loop', then all you should need to do is set your thermostat to furnace/heat and choose the temperature.

If you do not have the engine loop, then you'll either have to run the Diesel or Electric to have the AquaHot produce heat. If running the generator anyways, then Electric should cover you. If not, then the Diesel will need to be selected.

And I should note, that I have a 2004 era HydroHot, with Engine Loop, and that is how it is set up in our Country Coach. That does not mean that all other coaches, and AquaHot, will work the same as I'm used to.

So if you provide more info about your RV, and the type of AquaHot you have, either myself or others should be able to provide more info.

Again, welcome! And best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Our aqua hot is a 400D and as far as I know no engine loop. Although I am not sure how to tell if there is an engine loop.We have a 2013 Thor Tuscany. Now that I think of it in the back of the coach (low on the bathroom wall is a switch that I was told is for engine pre heat in very cold weather). Too bad this information appears no where. The switch is not even labeled(it just turns on a red light.

Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate your help.

Jerry

All the Auqua hot manuals are online on there site.

If you have the engine preheat feature you need to have it on. Then the Auquahot will come on and get to temperature, if the deisel burner is turned on. That will heat the unit up to temperature.

Then once he thermostat is satisfied for the Auquahot it will shut off due to the thermostat on the unit being satisfied.

Then the engine heat will keep the Auquahot unit hot while the engine is running to provide room heat.

If the deisel burner is not turned on and the engine preheat is on, it may be awhile until the room heat will produce any heat. You will need the room thermostat on also.

Call tech support as they will help.

Safe Travels, Vern

For Aqua Hot 400D over the road heating, turn Diesel Burner switch to ON. When the Low Temp Cut Off Status light in the center bottom of control board in basement compartment comes ON, the coolant tank is up to temp and interior heating is available. Set interior thermostats to desired temp.

The Low Temp Cut Off Status Light will be OFF if coolant tank is cool (sitting with electric element and diesel burner turned OFF for a while) or anytime a hot water faucet is running water (washing hands, dishes, showering). With the Diesel Burner Switch left ON, the Low Temp Cutoff light will come ON 20 to 30 seconds after the hot water faucet is turned off. Interior heating will resume automatically once the light is ON again.

Hope this helps.

Well we have tried this two days on the road and the Aqua Hot registers in the coach are just blowing cold air. I have physically checked the aqua Hot unit and the antifreeze lines are hot. I called AquaHot and they said it should work. Unit works fine when plugged in park power and slides out?

Any ideas?

What theremostat do you have. If the fans are blowing then it should be producing heat.

Are the pumps running when the fans are on with engine running. The pump I am talking about moves the antifreeze through the lines to the registers for heat transfer. With engine and Auguahot at operations temperature it should produce heat.

If you have an outside faucet, absolutely make sure the hot and cold knobs are off. They can be on and the shutoff at the end of the hose closed. But it can leave enough heat the warm a switch that tells the Auquahot not to operate the heating system. If they are open the hot maybe moving just enough heat to stop the pumps from operating.

Safe Travels, Vern

Any error lights on the Control Panel (Usually down in the bay next to the Aqua Hot.)?

Assume you have the Thermostat set for Furnace, Fan on Auto, and while testing have the Temperature set up pretty high?

If I read your responses correctly, it does not seem to have 'an engine loop', that keeps the Aqua Hot tank heated from engine temperature as you drive down the road(?). So, that is out of the discussion if this is correct.

Have you tried turned on the Diesel to the Aqua Hot while leaving, and heard it fire off? That has to be running, to get hot water flowing. Is the control panel where you turn it on, having the Diesel light remain lighted as your traveling? (Note: This me assuming that the Aqua Hot has the same basic controls as our 04 era Hydro Hot does.) If the unit fires up, but then later the light goes out, that indicates another problem 'opportunity'.

Another way to heat the water in the Aqua Hot, and if the furnace is working for you while on Shore Power, this should work while traveling too. Is to run the generator, and turn on the Electric on the Aqua Hot.

Very common problem with these units, is stuck valves. Another common problem with the Heat Exchangers, due to lack of usage and exercise of the full system, is they will clog up, which then keep the hot water from flowing via the circulation pump(s).

But since you are seeing it work while in the campground, the Heat Exchangers and water circulation pumps must be working.

Perhaps your unit has a 120V feed that works, as well as a 12V feed that works while not plugged in or having the generator running. If that is so, maybe a 12V fuse is out?

But, just think of the fun you're having, and how much your learning about the system!!!

Best of ongoing good luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

For Aqua Hot heating while traveling down the road, the main engine heats the heater coolant tank via a 3/4 inch heater hose. This will transfer enough heat to the coolant to heat the interior down to about 50F ambient. Below that, you need the diesel burner turned on.

So, how cold are the temps where you are traveling.

Plus when an interior zone is calling for heat, the electronic control board will have a green Zone light on and a green pump light on (red pump light is bad pump). Since you are getting cool air inside this is probably happening. But the pump must move coolant. So is the pex pipe above the operating pump hot? If not, the pump is not moving the coolant. Could be bad pump, kink in coolant line in the coach or some other kind of blockage to the movement of coolant.

Well thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. It really does help to have people to "talk to". Here is bullet list of status:

1. We are currently on a whirl wind trip from Seattle-Rapid City SD-Carson City NV( on this leg now in Rock Springs,WY)-Seattle.. what kind of idiots do a trip like this in late November!

2. Yes it is cold very cold and driving in the the late afternoon is miserably cold in the coach. Please let me know where the section in this forum is for bitching,moaning and complaining (concerning weather and coach problems).

3. The Aqua Hot works perfectly when plugged into park and does not work while on the road. Everything looks normal but only cold air comes out of the registers. Because of weather I have not been able to troubleshoot much! Also other problems to work on!

4. So far no red lights on the Aqua Hot while stopped and not plugged in. antifreeze lines all hot and burner running-cold air @register.

We have been Rving off and on for seven years and just can't believe the problems we have with our Rv's and manufactures rarely have the answer !

Just bitching!

Jerry

Any error lights on the Control Panel (Usually down in the bay next to the Aqua Hot.)?

Assume you have the Thermostat set for Furnace, Fan on Auto, and while testing have the Temperature set up pretty high?

If I read your responses correctly, it does not seem to have 'an engine loop', that keeps the Aqua Hot tank heated from engine temperature as you drive down the road(?). So, that is out of the discussion if this is correct.

Have you tried turned on the Diesel to the Aqua Hot while leaving, and heard it fire off? That has to be running, to get hot water flowing. Is the control panel where you turn it on, having the Diesel light remain lighted as your traveling? (Note: This me assuming that the Aqua Hot has the same basic controls as our 04 era Hydro Hot does.) If the unit fires up, but then later the light goes out, that indicates another problem 'opportunity'.

Another way to heat the water in the Aqua Hot, and if the furnace is working for you while on Shore Power, this should work while traveling too. Is to run the generator, and turn on the Electric on the Aqua Hot.

Very common problem with these units, is stuck valves. Another common problem with the Heat Exchangers, due to lack of usage and exercise of the full system, is they will clog up, which then keep the hot water from flowing via the circulation pump(s).

But since you are seeing it work while in the campground, the Heat Exchangers and water circulation pumps must be working.

Perhaps your unit has a 120V feed that works, as well as a 12V feed that works while not plugged in or having the generator running. If that is so, maybe a 12V fuse is out?

But, just think of the fun you're having, and how much your learning about the system!!!

Best of ongoing good luck to you,

Smitty

Smitty thanx for your helpful suggestions. And yes things like this always rving a fruiful experience. Problem not resolved but we did discover that heat register in front bathroom puts out heat while moving! I'm thinking that maybe the main lines to the front and back are being blocked somewhere when moving?..Really doesn't make sense but I know there is a solution!

Jerry

re

With one heat exchanger working that proves you have the main system operational.

If the fans will blow air but not produce heat then the fluid is not moving.

Two things I have seen that could cause that situation is either a wire problem on the pump or a swing check valve that sticks and not let the fluid flow.

They switch the ground ,not the positive on the pumps. I do believe that can be confusing. Maybe a bad connection or corroded wire. If the pump is running feel above check valve to see if the heat fluid is passing the check valve. Maybe tap on it gently....

If you have a newer unit it may be a pump problem itself . They is a recall on some pumps..

Just some thoughts, Vern

In addition to Vern's list, air blockages can be introduced during a service, and can be a bear to get out of the system.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

While not ideal. Fire off the generator and plug in a 1500W portable heater in the front of the coach:)!

We had to do this with our Bounder while traveling in very cold conditions. Furnace on as well. But we did have some air leaks that I could only partially find and block with different materials and spray foam. Could never seem to block them all, so on really cold days of travel, the OTR heater was just fighting to try and keep even with the cool air coming in from under the dash areas.

And no worries on sharing your frustrations with this gang... Suspect all of us have used a few choice words while traveling:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived