Dually Inner Wheel Question

brunsje

Folks,

What are your thoughts on adding an extension onto the inner valve stem?

The negative is an increased risk of air leakage.

The positives it makes installing a TPMS and also checking the air pressure easier.

Thanks, JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Depending on the TPMS. The PressurePro sensor, which several of the other sensors are like if not the same, a 1" PVC couplet on the end of a 12" piece of 1" PVC pipe makes a tool to easily remove/install the sensor on the valve stem.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have TST flow through sensors. I placed them directly on the inner dual. I then installed a 3" straight extension on the TST sensor. It placed the end of the valve right in the hole of the outer dual wheel in front of it, just about flush with the rim. It makes accessing the valve very easy and I have had no issues with leakage in 6000+ miles since I did it. Obviosly, if you don't have flow through sensors, this would not work.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

They work well and there is no problem using them until your stuck in mud and it goes up between duals, potentially bending them, I use them all the time for inside dual it makes airing them a lot easier

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Within a year one inside dually valve stem with an extension leaked causing a flat. The metal valve stem was cracked at the wheel. I had a Pressure Pro sensor on the extension. I no longer use extenders and have the sensor on the valve stem. It's not easy to access but is doable. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Like Charlie, I use Crossfires with three Schraeder valves like his. Would advise whether using Crossfires or a valve extender get the rubber support that fits in the wheel hole or the vibration will crack it. Will post a link.

http://www.shinyrv.com/store/c29/Valve_Stem_Extension_Stabilizers.html

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I use 4-5" Stainless solid extensions on the inners. Made the TPMS way easier. Have put them on several others as well.

Never had any issues.

I use quality ones from a heavy truck supply. No cheapies.

I also used the PP with pipe to install on inners. No problem.

With TST you can remove the anti theft cap that spins and it works same as PP to install or remove. Just a smaller size.

For outer dual I just turn the valve stem 90 degrees. Works great. Easy to fill and get sensors on and off.

Total cost two ext $20.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I got new tires last year at this time. I put my pressure pro sensors right onto the standard valve stem. It wasn't easy getting to the inside tire but wasn't all that hard either. I have added air to them once. I figure that for once every 6 months, I can live without an extension that gives me one more place to leak from.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

There should never be a problem with leakage due to the extension itself, it holds no pressure except during use. It simply has a long pin that presses on the actual schraeder valve when the chuck is applied. The only potential issue is the longer assembly is more vulnerable to physical damage.

If using tpms I would never consider putting the sensor on the end of the extension, more weight farther out from the stem, more likely to stress the stem and potentially crack as Greg mentioned. The flow through TST system (which we use) would allow you to stack a small extension on top of the sensor, keeping the weight of the sensor closer to the stem. Of course with the sensors, you will only need to access to add air when the system tells you it is low, not daily checks.

And of course considering the price of a good tire and a road call, it is crazy not to run some sort of tpms system, not to mention the peace of mind for those of us that are compulsive tire checkers.

I bought my extensions from a local dealer, they are from Alcoa and come with a rubber stabilizer that fits in the outside wheel, keeps the stem from vibrating and breaking, I did add the TPS sensor to the extension, no problems as of yet.

Here is a link the the rubber stabilizer.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/info_page/accessories_hd_valve_stem_ext_stabilizer.asp

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

In my opinion, the best way to do it is to put on the Crossfire system with the three valves. That covers all the bases, and at least on the heavy trucks it works well and does not cause any balance issues. This makes inflation simple, and it monitors the individual tires.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

How do I turn the outer dually stem 180 degrees? Do I loosen the nut about 2 turns, rotate, then retighten 2 turns? I don't want to damage the rubber and cause a leak?

JohnnyB

Yes slightly loosen the outer nut and turn and retighten. Full 180 turn may not be necessary, you need to decide what's comfortable for you. On my 450 I only turned 90 degrees.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

In my opinion, the best way to do it is to put on the Crossfire system with the three valves. That covers all the bases, and at least on the heavy trucks it works well and does not cause any balance issues. This makes inflation simple, and it monitors the individual tires.

The Crossfire looks intriguing, but how will it work with Pressure Pros? If you put one PP sensor on the main Schrader Valve you could lose pressure in one of the duals and not see it on the PP panel. Could be a bit pricy since I have three sets of duals. The truck duals aren't a big issues since I can put the PP sensor on the inner dual with no problem. The trailer duals are a bit more problematic. No way to install the sensor on the inner dual, so I use extensions that are anchored on the center of the hub cover, but they are questionable. sometime difficult to increase pressure - not sure why.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Thanks for all the info.

After doing my research, I have reached the following conclusion for my circumstances.

The Crossfire was expensive and not as reliable as I desired.

Tire stem extensions add more chance of problems as folks have outlined above.

I am simply going to place my TPMS Sensors on the original tire stems. This will be a 'Pain', but be the most reliable.

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Hope I ordered the right Crossfire. I also have Pressure Pro and elected to just use the one on the filler. My reasoning is that the Crossfire will keep the tires at an equal pressure so one reading is all that is necessary. In case of a blow out it shuts down the bad tire. Again the on reading of the remaining tier. Should receive the Crossfire Thursday.

Trying to find local talent to install Crossfire is not easy.

Pretty easy to install yourself. You can use a small crows foot on an extension or make your own tool as sclord2002 did and I copied. Attach the bracket to either a lug nut, axle nut, or as Charlie did a moon wheel cover. Will see if I can post a pic of my Crossfire tool (didn't want any repercussions from saying just tool :)) Would recommend the three Schraeders valve crossfires if you get any. Can attach separate TPMS to two outter valves and center still available for filling. Can be bought from Ed Donnelly Enterprises at 800-774-1944. Tell him you are with Escapees HDT forum for best price.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I was not successful getting the three valve crossfire - even though that is what I ordered. So if ordering that, you really have to followup carefully and CONFIRM that is what they are shipping.

With a tire monitor on s single valve you will see about a 10 psi drop if you lose one of the tires. That may not alarm with the single sensor. But with some of the systems it will.....I STRONGLY recommend that you get the three valve version to be sure you get an alarm with loss of air on one tire.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived