Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

David-and-Cheryl

6 hours ago, Blues said:

The Changing Gears website says "Class E or F required over 26,000 lb." in Georgia.  But a Class C license in Georgia is all that's needed for any size RV.  On the back of a Georgia Class C driver's license, it says:

The quote you listed from the back of the Georgia license clearly states a Class C license is good for a vehicle with a GVWR less than or equal to 26000 pounds or for towing a trailer less than or equal to 10000 pounds.  This symbol “≤” means less than or equal to.  Based on that, it would appear if the RV has a GVWR greater than 26000 pounds or if your trailer weighs more than 10000 pounds, some higher class of license is needed.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it says on the driver's license may not be complete. In Colorado my driver's license states

Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,000 pounds in a single unit or combination.

Yet there are exclusions for RV's. This license despite the wording is all that is required for my HDT and trailer. At least some LEO's are confused by the wording or even more.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Based on that, it would appear if the RV has a GVWR greater than 26000 pounds or if your trailer weighs more than 10000 pounds, some higher class of license is needed.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have to mention RVs at all, just like they don't specifically mention any other types of vehicles.

Georgia Code § 40-5-23 includes all RVs in Class C :

"Class C — Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any three-wheeled motor vehicle that is equipped with a steering wheel for directional control, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance..."

The Georgia Department of Driver Services website Changing Gears links to has exactly the same language (bolded above) with respect to RVs.  Any RV is included in Class C.

Furthermore, if you look at the Class E or F license that the Changing Gears website says is required for big RVs, you'll see that E and F licenses are for agricultural and EMS/firefighting vehicles. 

https://dds.georgia.gov/license-id-and-permit-types

People applying for the E or F license that Changing Gears says drivers of big RVs are required to have must have a minimum of three months or 3,000 miles of driving experience in the vehicle, which must be certified to by a public agency employee or by the applicant if self-employed.  These licenses are clearly not for RV drivers.

And a couple of observations about the Changing Gears website.  First, they used to have an "information confidence" level for their entry on each state.  For Georgia, it was "high" even though the information is wrong.  They have eliminated the "information confidence" indicator in the table on the current version of the website, but (probably inadvertently) left the legend describing it on the website.  So it's gone but not forgotten.

And you won't find it if you use the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to see versions of their table that are more than about a year old, but that's because they changed the URL.  If you use their previous URL for the table, you can see older versions, with the "information confidence" indicator.  Here's the version they had on March 22, 2019:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190322164626/http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

You can see the "high" information confidence level for Georgia.

Second, note the "date of review" on all versions of their site.  On the current version, which says it was updated June 15, 2021, the first few entries are "Jan 8," which would lead one to believe the information was reviewed just a few months prior.  But subsequent entries have a different format, e.g. "Jul 05," which looks more like month and year, and comparing various versions of their table indicates that it is indeed month and year.  Maybe it's inadvertent that the formatting looks like month and day but is actually month and year, or maybe it's not.  But the site that says it was updated on June 15, 2021, had half of its entries not reviewed in 16 years, although that might not be immediately apparent.

Sure, driver's license laws don't change much, but they do change (note the change in Texas regarding the ITD program, mentioned upthread).  And periodic review might reveal errors, like for Georgia.

Bottom line:  Use sites like this as a jumping-off point for getting an answer, not as the answer.  If they provide a link, good for them.  But even though that might give the appearance they know what they're talking about, check the link yourself.  And never think something is "right" just because a couple of sites like this agree, because they do seem to feed off each other.

Edited by Blues

I’m glad you posted the actual code to back up your original statement.  The quote from the back of your drivers license in your first post, on its face, was contradicting your statement that an enhanced license was not required for a heavy RV.  That is what I was trying to point out in my post when I said “it would appear”.  It is always best to go to the actual code for the state where you are licensed to see what license class is required for your vehicle.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I’m glad you posted the actual code to back up your original statement.  The quote from the back of your drivers license in your first post, on its face, was contradicting your statement that an enhanced license was not required for a heavy RV. 

I don't think it contradicts it.  They way you're reading it, it's as if it says "all recreational vehicles subject to these weight restrictions," and that just doesn't make sense because it's listing the vehicles that are included.  Cars are subject to the weight limits but don't get the mention "recreational vehicles" gets.  Trailers are subject to the weight limits but don't get the mention "recreational vehicles" gets.  What they did was differentiate recreational vehicles from cars and trailers.

I think it would be better if they added an "and" and took out the "included":   "Class: C-≤26,000 lbs GVWR and Trailer ≤ 10,000 lbs. and all recreational vehicles."  But the state employee responsible for the wording on the back of a driver's license probably isn't a wordsmith.

As for reading the actual law, I couldn't agree more.  But the poster I was responding to said he read the Georgia website listing the classes of licenses and said the Changing Gears information appears to be correct, even though the website actually has the phrase "used solely as a family or personal conveyance" in bold type.  So I figured I'd take another tack, because Georgia has done everybody a favor by having the language on the actual license, even if it's clumsily worded.

Blues, some other items to consider. If you are using a class 7 or 8 truck to tow your trailer, you are correct that a class C license is all you need when towing a RV. However, when you are bobtailing that truck, you will need a class E or F license IF it is not registered as an RV.

A class E or F license is mainly used for farm or fire/rescue use but if you haul your OWN equipment for non commercial use, you will need this class of license as well.

Think of a guy bringing his new to him shipping/storage container home or a trailer load of lumber to build his new toy garage. He could be well over the weight limits for a trailer or a truck.

Yes, I have a class E in Georgia due to our old "private truck" that had a GVWR of 33K (M2-112 4 dr). The current KW T680 is registered as an RV and eliminated the problem with driving bobtailed.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 3 weeks later...

This is a follow up to my post on December 20, 2022.  Today my husband and I took the driving test, and both of us passed.  As with the written test, we took the driving test at the Angleton DPS location.   The test was given by the same person who does regular class C driving tests.  Before driving, we verified that the turn signals, brake lights and horn were working properly.  We also did an air brake test to verify that they were working properly, but this was an instructed test, not the one that CDL applicants have to do.  We then demonstrated that we could back up properly, but we did not have to park.  The driving portion covered highways and city streets.  Traffic isn't too heavy in Angleton which was a plus.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:28 PM, Liz_P said:

This is a follow up to my post on December 20, 2022.  Today my husband and I took the driving test, and both of us passed.  As with the written test, we took the driving test at the Angleton DPS location.   The test was given by the same person who does regular class C driving tests.  Before driving, we verified that the turn signals, brake lights and horn were working properly.  We also did an air brake test to verify that they were working properly, but this was an instructed test, not the one that CDL applicants have to do.  We then demonstrated that we could back up properly, but we did not have to park.  The driving portion covered highways and city streets.  Traffic isn't too heavy in Angleton which was a plus.

Thanks for the update as we are preparing to take our exams shortly in Conroe. Can you elaborate on the air brake test? Not sure what "instructed test" means. 

There are several videos on YouTube covering how to do an airbrake test for a Texas commercial drivers license including one put out by the DPS.  I would watch a couple just so you know what to do.  This wasn't part of the driving test per se, more a safety measure to demonstrate that the airbrakes are functioning properly.  After the airbrakes were fully pressurized, I engaged the brakes for a minute demonstrating that they didn't lose more than a few psi of pressure.  Then I pumped the brakes to reduce the pressure until the brake valve popped out engaging the parking brake. Similarly, the tester observed that the signal and brake lights were working.

• 8 months later...

I’m from New York and I had to get the “R” endorsement for my license to drive an RV over 26 K pounds. This included a road test but didn’t require a written test. If I move to Texas will my R endorsement translate into a non commercial class A or do I need to start all over?

1 hour ago, Papa Jim said:

I’m from New York and I had to get the “R” endorsement for my license to drive an RV over 26 K pounds. This included a road test but didn’t require a written test. If I move to Texas will my R endorsement translate into a non commercial class A or do I need to start all over?

In general, Texas will honor a license from another state with similar privileges. They don’t check into how the license is granted. So when you move to Texas you should be able to exchange your NY license for a Class A exempt without additional testing. 

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

2 hours ago, Papa Jim said:

If I move to Texas will my R endorsement translate into a non commercial class A or do I need to start all over?

While it seems possible, I suggest that you call them and ask, just to be sure.           Phone: (936) 327-6806

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 10/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, Papa Jim said:

If the endorsement on your New York license qualifies you to operate a vehicle over 26,000# GVW, but not in combination (towing), it would seem that would translate into a Texas Class B Exempt (non-commercial) license, which is sufficient to operate a large RV, either without a trailer or while towing a trailer under 10,000# GVW.  If you are currently licensed to operate a vehicle over 26,000 GVW while towing a trailer over 10,000# GVW, that would be the equivalent of a Texas Class A Exempt (non-commercial) license.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have a CDL in Wisconsin lve been told that if you try and use a mail forwarding address in Florida for residency they will use your RV TAG as the address on your drivers license since you dont actually own property in florida and then you can't have a CDL with RV TAG address.  Has anyone else found this to be true in Florida?

I'm not sure what you mean by "your RV TAG as the address" when you ask? Are you planning to change to a FL domicile and leave WI? I doubt very much that you could keep a Wi CDL if you move your domicile to FL. I suggest that you start by reading Ultimate Guide for Residency and Domicile as a Full Time RVer

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What i mean by RV TAG is i was told by Good Sam mail service and St. Bernard island mail service that first you register your RV and then your drivers license address is going to be the tag number from your RV. This is because you don't have a property or a lease on an apartment. Ill go over your link thanks

If you are establishing domicile in Florida—which you must do before you can get a Florida drivers license or register your vehicles there—then you will first need a PHYSICAL address in the state, not just a mail forwarding PO Box. Escapees can provide you with that if you use their mail forwarding service. I don’t know about the others. That physical address will then be the one on your Florida drivers license. 

If you are not establishing domicile in Florida (not just mail forwarding there), you can’t get a Florida DL. 

See the two links that Kirk posted earlier for background. You might also find this blog post that we did a few years ago helpful: http://landmarkadventures.net/two-texans-become-floridians-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-my-domicile/. If you’re an Escapees member, Member Services can also give you some guidance. Their phone number is 936-327-8873. 

Edited by David-and-Cheryl

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

On 11/15/2023 at 4:57 PM, Kirk W said:

I believe that you bad information. I suggest that you visit the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle dept. for accurate information.

This is all rather off topic in a thread about Texas Class A & B licenses, but I'll point out that the OP mentioned St. Brendan's Isle and Good Sam mail services.  This is from the Good Sam website:

Our mail service provides you with a physical address. This address can help you to establish Florida residency if you wish. If you would like a Florida driver's license, you can obtain one, however, the address on your license will display your vehicle tag number rather than your physical address with us. You'll be a Florida resident regardless; displaying your vehicle tag number on your license is simply the format Florida requires in this case.

https://goodsammailservice.com/residency

I remember that St. Brendan's Isle had this same thing going on a few years ago, too, but don't know about currently.  I think there's some connection to liveaboards, whose driver's licenses have their vessel number as their address.

As for the OP's CDL complication, that would probably take the whole issue into a completely different sphere.

• 2 months later...

I have a scheduled driving test in my large Class A RV. The RV has GVWR 44,600 and a 15,000 hitch with a GCWR of 59,600.   I have taken my written test, applied for a non-CDL class A license.    Question is am I required to take my toad to the skills test?

1 hour ago, rkbrown04 said:

I have a scheduled driving test in my large Class A RV. The RV has GVWR 44,600 and a 15,000 hitch with a GCWR of 59,600.   I have taken my written test, applied for a non-CDL class A license.    Question is am I required to take my toad to the skills test?

If you want a Class A exempt license, you’ll have to take your test with a toad or trailer with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. 

But do you really plan to tow anything that large? If not, you only need a Class B exempt license. Although that class allows you to tow a vehicle up to 10,000 lbs GVWR, it’s the same license that you’ll need to drive your motorhome even without a toad. Therefore your MH alone is sufficient for your test. 

Note that the weight rating of your hitch is irrelevant. It’s what you actually tow with it that matters. 

You might want to refer back to the table linked from the original post (also here) to help make this more clear. 

David

Edited by David-and-Cheryl
Added link to table

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum