Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

David-and-Cheryl

1 hour ago, OneHalf said:

The bus, I believe, has a GVWR of 32000lbs - so class B

Welcome to the Escapee forums! You are correct.

Can we rent something with a GVWR over 26000lbs WITHOUT already having the license?

I believe that the only way to be sure about this would be to ask the rental company if they require it. If you have a TX driver's license you would be required to have it or to be legally licensed for it under the laws of whatever state issued your license. 

Anyone know how quickly appointments are being set in Paris or Garland?

The only way to be sure is to call them. Paris office ~ Phone Number: (903) 784-3800

There are two offices in Garland, 350 West IH 30, Garland, TX 75043 ~ Phone (214) 861-2125 and also 4445 Ste. A, Saturn Road, Garland, Texas 75041 ~ Phone (214) 861-3700

But here's "the big one.

Nothing big about it, although it comes up fairly frequently. Since TX does allow the use of a mail service while living in an RV, you just mark what it is. If the RV is your residence, they that is what you should mark. The Livingston address is your legal address and to borrow one from someone else would not be legal. 

We have our escapees address in Livingston. It's the only address we have. It's on our driver's licenses and my husband will probably register to vote there.

You have already answered your own question. How did it get on your driver's license? The exact same way that it will still be on it when you renew, or upgrade to a Class B. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tall Paul said:

Can I take the knowledge test, say on a Wednesday and perform the skills test the next day?  

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I would say that you were either fortunate or things have greatly improved recently as it was backed up for quite some time due to covid-19. Let us know how this works out as it used to be pretty common.

• 1 month later...

Read one post about being centered in your lane. I trained school bus drivers. Here is what I always told them. Use your mirrors when you can, but a quick tell tell sign is... If your front tires are in front of you (like a regular vehicle) then when you look straight ahead at pavement about 40 feet, your eyes should hit about 3 feet away from the left line. If front tires are behind you (like a charter bus/flat nose bus) when you look straight ahead your eyes should hit the pavement about 1 1/2 feet from left line. NOTE: These are approximate lengths (guess) not measured using tape measure. A good way to figure out where your eyes should hit pavement is use mirrors then look straight ahead about 40 feet at pavement. Remember the distance away from left line. That will be your 1 1/2 or 3 feet distance. 

Another thing I noticed when training drivers was how many want to do what I call "cheat the turn".

By that I mean, they would pull up to the turn area starting to move whichever way they were going to turn, or be coming up to a right turn and would swing left some.

Dont cheat the turn. Stay straight in your lane, and at proper time start your turn. Turns should not look like curves but 90 degrees turns. Next time you're out on road take notice how many people cheat the turn.

Sorry it got long, but safe driving is my passion. I have over 1 million safe miles in class A cdl, was trained as a trainer, and trained school bus drivers. Who to me carried the most valuable non replaceable cargo. 

I wish they would increase the training needed for people to get their class C license. Too many uncle trained drivers who remember enough to pass the test but never use any of the info. The area around isn't theirs, its their area of responsibility.

Just remember you may be bigger, but that only means you are a bigger target. People behind you will always see you as driving too slow, and people in front of you will always think you are driving too fast. 

Be safe

• 4 months later...

Thanks for taking the time to organize these steps in such a great article.

I’ve been domiciled in Bushnell, Florida for several years with Escapees. I am working on changing my domicile to Texas, using the Livingston address.

I have a Florida Driver’s license, and Florida license plates on my GMC Sierra and my Jayco North Point fifth wheel.

I’m a little confused with getting the Driver’s License, license plates and insurance. As I understand the process, step one is to get my Texas Class C Driver’s License, correct?

Once I have my Driver’s License, or perhaps simultaneously, I should be able to get my license plates for my GMC Sierra, correct?

I will need a Class A Driver’s License as the combined weight is over 26,000 pounds. Will Texas issue license plates for my Jayco North Point fifth wheel even though I don’t have a Class A Driver’s License?

My insurance is through Progressive. Will my insurance issue in Texas after I have my Driver’s License and plates, even though I won’t have my Class A Driver’s License for probably a month or so after changing my domicile to Texas?

Thanks very much. - Dave

Dave Koch

Columbus, Ohio

2011 Keystone Alpine 3500 RE

2010 Ford F-350 King Ranch Dually

2001 Harley Wide Glide

9 hours ago, Av8r said:

I’m a little confused with getting the Driver’s License, license plates and insurance. As I understand the process, step one is to get my Texas Class C Driver’s License, correct?

Once I have my Driver’s License, or perhaps simultaneously, I should be able to get my license plates for my GMC Sierra, correct?

I will need a Class A Driver’s License as the combined weight is over 26,000 pounds. Will Texas issue license plates for my Jayco North Point fifth wheel even though I don’t have a Class A Driver’s License?

My insurance is through Progressive. Will my insurance issue in Texas after I have my Driver’s License and plates, even though I won’t have my Class A Driver’s License for probably a month or so after changing my domicile to Texas?

I changed my domicile the other way, from Texas to Florida, but I lived in Texas for most of my pre-RVing life, so I'm fairly sure that what I'm going to tell you is correct. Someone else who has actually moved to Texas may want to chime in too.

If Texas is like Florida and most other states, you'll need some proof of residency before you can get a Texas driver's license, license plates, etc. Your auto insurance can actually be part of that proof. You can change your Progressive auto insurance address first without any proof of residency. Auto insurance is based on where the vehicle is "garaged", not the owner's state of domicile.

You can get your Texas plates for both your RV and your Sierra at the same time you get your driver's license (not sure if they're physically in the same office, but neither is a prerequisite for the other). The Class A license is not required to get your plates. Texas will issue you a Class C license based on your Florida driver's license. Then at some point in the future, you'll need to test for the appropriate license for your RV.

Edited by David-and-Cheryl

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

I would suggest that you start by calling the Polk County office (Phone: 936-327-6801) and ask them your questions as they are very helpful and if there is something that they don't have the answer to they will give you the number of where to get the needed answers.

Edited by Kirk W

29 minutes ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

You said "I will need a Class A Driver’s License as the combined weight is over 26,000 pounds." That's true only if the Sierra has a GVWR over 10,000 pounds (which it probably doesn't if it's a 1500, but it probably does if it's a 2500 or larger). If the Sierra's GVWR is 10,000 pounds or less, you only need a Class B license. The testing requirements are exactly the same for both classes, but the setup that you take the driving test with has to match the class you're applying for, so you'll want to know which one is right before you apply.

I think there is some confusion there.  Add the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer.  A total of 26,001# or more will push you to a class A or a Class B driver's license.  If you are towing less than 10,000# you go to a class B.  This is usually the case with a larger class A motor home and a tow car.  If you are towing over 10,000# you need a class A License.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

I think there is some confusion there.  Add the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer.  A total of 26,001# or more will push you to a class A or a Class B driver's license.  If you are towing less than 10,000# you go to a class B.  This is usually the case with a larger class A motor home and a tow car.  If you are towing over 10,000# you need a class A License.

Ken

The confusion was that I somehow read "motorhome" when the original question clearly says "fifth wheel". Oops. That's what I get for replying before I was fully caffeinated in the morning!

Given that, what you wrote, Ken, is almost correct, except that there's no way he would need a Class B license. If his fifth wheel's GVWR is 10,000 pounds or less (highly unlikely), he needs just a regular Class C. Same for if the fifth wheel's GVWR is more than 10,000 pounds but the combined GVWRs total 26,000 pounds or less--only a Class C is needed.

However, since he stated that his combination exceeds 26,000 pounds GVWR, his trailer's GVWR is almost certainly over 10,000 pounds--so he needs a Class A Exempt. See the table that appears in my original post to show which class of license is needed in all cases:

Texas-Driver-License-Class-Requirements-

It's a three-step analysis:

1. First look at the GVWR of just the powered vehicle (tow vehicle or motorhome), not the combined GVWR. 
  2. Then look at the GVWR of the vehicle being towed, if any.
  3. Then look at the combined GVWR of both vehicles.
Edited by David-and-Cheryl
Corrected for OP's fifth wheel setup, rather than motorhome

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

6 hours ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

In the OP's case, his motorhome's GVWR is more than 26,000 pounds, so based on that alone, he needs more than a Class C. In this case, the combined weights don't even come into play. Whether he needs a Class A or B is determined solely by the GVWR of the GMC Sierra he's towing. If the Sierra's GVWR is more than 10,000 pounds, he needs a Class A; otherwise, he needs a Class B.

You have it backwards.  He's not driving a motorhome and towing a GMC Sierra; he's driving a GMC Sierra and towing a fifth-wheel trailer.

7 hours ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

You can change your Progressive auto insurance address first without any proof of residency. Auto insurance is based on where the vehicle is "garaged", not the owner's state of domicile.

To the OP:  I'm in Texas and currently have Progressive on my motorhome, and also had Progressive about ten years ago, and they've never asked what class of driver's license I have.  In fact, none of the insurance companies that have insured my moho in Texas have ever asked.

19 minutes ago, Blues said:

You have it backwards.  He's not driving a motorhome and towing a GMC Sierra; he's driving a GMC Sierra and towing a fifth-wheel trailer.

To the OP:  I'm in Texas and currently have Progressive on my motorhome, and also had Progressive about ten years ago, and they've never asked what class of driver's license I have.  In fact, none of the insurance companies that have insured my moho in Texas have ever asked.

Ah, right you are! I misread his original post. Apologies--the confusion was mine. The OP will in fact need a Class A exempt license as he said, since the combination is over 26k pounds. I will go back and remove the last paragraph of my first reply to avoid anyone getting mixed up. Thanks for straightening me out.

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

David and Cheryl, I only mentioned the class B and motorhomes for reference.  Our last truck and trailer had a GCW of 25, 090# and I only needed a class C license as were under the magic 26000#.  The truck was rated at 10,000# and the trailer at 15,090#.  We upgraded the truck first and it was 13,300#, So, 13,300# plus 15,090# equals 28,390# which sent us down to get the class A license.

The license is not all that hard to pass for both written and driving.  My wife is also licensed to drive the rig.  I highly encourage everyone to get their travel companion capable of driving the truck and trailer and properly licensed.  The biggest issue is simply scheduling to get the written portion completed and schedule the driving portion.  

I have helped a couple of people we know to get the rig to testing.  In Texas they do not ask how you get to the test site, but some people worry.  They drove the rig to within a mile two from of the test site and switched to me driving it to the test center.  They took the test while I waited, passed with no issues and I rode back with them.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 8 months later...

This is definitely the best documentation on the topic that I've seen.  Getting information from TDPS is challenging to say the least!  My husband and I both passed our written tests at the Angleton, Texas DPS office today, and plan to come back in January to take the driving part of the test.  A couple of things we found.  First, in terms of the test itself, ("What knowledge test must I take?" above ), it did cover only the material in Chapter 14 Texas Commercial Rules Test. There was no distinction made between the test I was taking and the test other CDL applicants were taking.  It wasn't the CDL General Knowledge Test, or the CDL Air Brakes Test which I am thinking regular CDL applicants take in another setting. Second, although I hold a Texas REAL ID drivers license which I obtained earlier this year, I still needed to provide either a passport or birth certificate.  They scanned my passport, so I may not have to do so in the future.  Lastly "What is the new ITD Program?" indicates that you’ll need to complete the new Impact Texas Drivers (ITD) Program, about the dangers of distracted driving. I did complete the course, however, the Angleton TDPS office did not ask for this, and when I indicated I had this certificate, they said that this is not required if you currently hold a valid Texas drivers license.  Regarding the skills test, while I haven't yet taken it, the DPS representative indicated that as part of the test, I would first have to test my air brakes to show that they are functioning properly.  For the offroad, I would only have to do straight-line backing and not offset backing or parallel parking.  I plan to post an update if the skills test is anything different from what she described.  

50 minutes ago, ddm502001 said:

Not ever heard of a Non-CDL Class A, how many states are presenting that as a option, Missouri is not currently where is either considered Commercial A,B, or just conventional license which does not have Class A or B allowance.

Dave

16 states have special requirements depending on the configuration (usually GVWR) of your rig. They don't all call the license the same thing. You can check it out here:

RV Drivers Licenses by State

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

11 hours ago, Second Chance said:

16 states have special requirements depending on the configuration (usually GVWR) of your rig. They don't all call the license the same thing. You can check it out here:

RV Drivers Licenses by State

Rob

I'm not saying the link you provided is wrong, but FWIW, we used to go through the AAA handbook that listed each states driving laws and laugh at some of the mistakes (31 years Arkansas State Police and retired now)......and there were always mistakes. I said that just to make the point that individual State Statutes, properly interpreted, are the only thing folks should go by. And in Arkansas, it was not uncommon for the State Revenue Department to promulgate rule changes that bypassed, negated or changed the State Statutes when it came to licensing........and often times, those of us in the enforcement business were not always aware of those changes. Not a good thing, but it happens. 

On 12/20/2022 at 3:53 PM, Liz_P said:

Lastly "What is the new ITD Program?" indicates that you’ll need to complete the new Impact Texas Drivers (ITD) Program, about the dangers of distracted driving. I did complete the course, however, the Angleton TDPS office did not ask for this, and when I indicated I had this certificate, they said that this is not required if you currently hold a valid Texas drivers license. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, Liz. Based on your feedback I've updated the original post to clarify that the ITD program is required only for those who don't already hold a Texas driver's license.

David

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

3 minutes ago, Blues said:

It's wrong when it comes to Georgia.

I just went to the Georgia web site and read through the classes - the ChangeingGears information appears to be correct. What do you think is wrong about it?

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lot of info here, and tried to figure out what I actually need for my 35400 GVWR (45400 GCVWR) Tiffin MH + Jeep at 5500GVWR.

Currently have the Class A that I got when I had fiver and 450.  The way I read the table is an A allows for more GCVWR than does the B.  I have a letter from the DPS saying I am legal with the A for the above.  

What I am asking is--does an A cover more weight than the B?  Am I actually ok with the A?

Got an appt 1/2 with DPS for the required old age 'in person' renewal. Wondering about what will the process be?

Thanks.

Joe

1 hour ago, jblo said:

Lot of info here, and tried to figure out what I actually need for my 35400 GVWR (45400 GCVWR) Tiffin MH + Jeep at 5500GVWR.

Currently have the Class A that I got when I had fiver and 450.  The way I read the table is an A allows for more GCVWR than does the B.  I have a letter from the DPS saying I am legal with the A for the above.  

What I am asking is--does an A cover more weight than the B?  Am I actually ok with the A?

Got an appt 1/2 with DPS for the required old age 'in person' renewal. Wondering about what will the process be?

Thanks.

Joe

Your Class A license also covers you for vehicles that would require a Class B (as well as, of course, Class C vehicles). 

David

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

1 hour ago, jblo said:

Thanks.

Joe

I did the "old age" in person thing last year in El Paso. They mostly want to see that you can walk in under your own power, pass an eye exam, and carry on a coherent conversation. I don't remember thinking there was anything special about it at all. (I don't like the new photo, though... makes me look old.)

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Drivers Age 79 or Older

In addition to the regular driver license renewal requirements, if you are 79 years of age or older you will be required to renew your driver license in-person at your local driver license office. During your renewal:

You will be required to successfully pass a vision test, and

A license and permit specialist will evaluate your responses provided at the time of your renewal regarding your medical history to determine if any additional testing is required*.

On 12/24/2022 at 3:53 PM, Second Chance said:

I just went to the Georgia web site and read through the classes - the ChangeingGears information appears to be correct. What do you think is wrong about it?

The Changing Gears website says "Class E or F required over 26,000 lb." in Georgia.  But a Class C license in Georgia is all that's needed for any size RV.  On the back of a Georgia Class C driver's license, it says:

Class: C-≤26,000 lbs GVWR and Trailer ≤ 10,000 lbs. All recreational vehicles included.