Slides

Trucken

Well it's time to up grade to an RV that has slides. Reading here about slide problems, was wondering?

Which slide system SEEMS to be the most dependable, or the easiest to access and repair for a DIY's type guy.

Will be traveling four months a year with stays of 3 to 5 days if that is important.

Thanks Trucken

My HWH slide & leveler system has done very well over 13 yrs & 106k miles. A few solenoids have been replaced (very accessible), the cap screws came out on bedroom slide ram (accessible under the bed), and I had to replace the pump motor last year.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

10 plus years in a three slide Newmar fiver. Eight of those years using it for 4-6 months per year, sometime stationary, sometimes on the move. Full time for the last year. Never a single problem with the slides.

LIMHO, like many issues on the forums, "slide problems" are way overblown!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

If you mean hydraulic vs electric, I'd prefer electric. Like they say, 'just something else to go wrong' and I wouldn't want hydraulic fluid leaking! My main problem is when my big LR slide doesn't stay in all the way en route, and lets road dust in.

Maybe need a slide lock ?

Goes around , comes around .

Old man

If you have an electric slide it maybe the brake on the motor drive needs set. If there is a rubber boot on the end of the motor feel if there is what feels like a flat piece of metal on the end. If one end will move then it maybe pushed one way then the other to reset it.

Probably the best thing to do would be call the manufacturer and see what they say.

Just a thought. Safe Travels. Vern

• 4 months later...

I hope it's appropriate to ask this question, here. I have a slide for the first time in a trailer. I bought some lubricant as I read the rubber seals should be lubricated every 6-8 weeks. I did the sides and the bottom underneath the slide. Is there someplace on top that I need to do it. Any other suggestion for routine maintenance that I should know? I'll have my RV place do it when they do the spring once over, but is there anything else I should be doing. Should I leave it out for a while every now and then or is it better kept shut?

One other thing, should I use this lubricant on the other rubber seals on the trailer or is there another product?

It did not come with a topper awning so I had one installed. The dealer I bought it from said I didn't need one, but I just feel better about having.

Thank you, as always for any assistance/information you can provide.

We have memories so that we might have roses in December.

http://travelswithmrnimble.blogspot.com/

Archived