HDT to 5th wheel electrical and hitch questions

bbengleking

so I know rv's plug into the truck for power and such, but what is needed to convert a HDT to supply that power? How complicated is the process and what would need to be done, either by myself or a dealer? also, if buying from a dealer (used) how do I change out the hitch to an air ride one that will protect my 5th wheel? I'm trying for figure this out before I buy either lol, so advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

The Jackalopee is the best way to go. It is easy to install and everything is marked as to where all of your connections are hooked up to inside on the circuit board. Plus, there is the safety factor if something back feeds through the RV into the truck. I hear the modules for the trucks are very expensive.

Having a hitch installed, you will need to do some searching in your location to find someone to remove the commercial hitch and install the new one. You should be able to find a welding shop or a fabricator to do the install without too much problem.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

I had the commercial hitch removed as part of buying deal. If you have time and a place to work, lots you can do yourself. The et hitch slides in from back and fits between frame rails. Run an air line to it. Lots of holes in chassis and you may not need to drill into hardened steel. You will need to know if you carrying Smart, cycles, etc in order to know placement of hitch. Search Jack Myers website and tons of info there. Et hitch heavy so lift need. Or hoist on tree limb. Very redneck but works. Also need a brake controller. Also covered on Jack's site.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I would want the ET hitch but don't know if a dealer would instal it. I'm also looking at a used truck that already has a 5er hitch but it's not an air hitch. I think I could do the wiring myself but not the hitch mounting.

Do not let a truck dealer do the wiring. RV trailer and Commercial wiring are not the same.

Any decent machine shop can install the hitch. As has been stated, it goes between the rails at a determined height- truck air up, trailer level, and is bolted. Henry I believe sends the L angle with the hitch to bolt to the frame.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The under $50 dollar converters have a record of burning out. The expensive solid state devices $90 last longer. The Jackalopee costs a little more but is really solid and fused for protection. The wiring is really straight forward.

This is one of those things that cheap is not a good plan.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Do not let a truck dealer do the wiring. RV trailer and Commercial wiring are not the same.

Any decent machine shop can install the hitch. As has been stated, it goes between the rails at a determined height- truck air up, trailer level, and is bolted. Henry I believe sends the L angle with the hitch to bolt to the frame.

L angles and the mounting plate are part of the hitch (included). What do they say, "one picture is worth thousand word".

Jackalopee.

Jackalopee%20cropped_zpslri5vcg6.jpg

Hitch install.

et%20installation%20jpeg%201_zpsfhe9xrhr

et%20installation%20jpeg%202_zps7575mwbg

ET%20overall%20dimensions%20top_zpsotusv

ET%20overall%20dimensions%20side_zpsxg3u

ET%20Super%20Sr.%20Hitch_zpswj6wtn7u.jpg

You can do as you wish on the wiring....but personally I'd recommend using a Jackaloppee. As Mark said, this is NOT the place to cheap out. Other solutions do work, if you know what you are doing. But you will get experience doing it over again. At least most do. Spend the extra $30-50 on the Jackaloppee and do the job right the first time.

The BEST way to install the Jackaloppee is in the drivers compartment. Feed it with the commercial pigtail...I generally feed the commercial pigtail to a terminal strip...then pick the signals off of that to the Jackie, then to another terminal strip, outbound from the Jackie. This makes it simple to pick up signals for other purposes....and you WILL want to do that, eventually.

Any frame or good welding shop can mount the hitch. Henry has a list of installers. It is not rocket science, but it DOES have to be done right. Do the wiring yourself....or your chances of getting it right will greatly diminish. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived