How do I sell 35 years worth of stuff?

Rockoldpirate

I called my neighbor who knows everyone as she was a mail lady for well over 20 years in our neck of the woods. Told her we were having a fire sale. The following 7 days were a blur it went so fast! The man trucks lined the driveway down to the barns and garage. And the wives were busy buying in the house. As we sit here with the house on the market the furniture we staged with has been sold and waiting for the contract before it can be taken away by the neighbors that bought it. Turns out that the things we thought would be a hard sell (big tickets) were the first to go. That said if you are determined to sell and price accordingly.... it will go.

2014 Newmar Ventana

2016 Buick Enclave

We went the way of an auction. 43 years of accumulation and 2 levels of living were gone in about 8 hours. Some went for pennies on the dollar & some brought twice what they should have. We went with the average & feel we came out OK. After all was said and done the auctioneer received about 22%.

We had been storing some items to clear the house of some clutter when it was on the market. We also had some furniture in various degrees of repair in storage. Many of those items were destroyed by heat/cold/humidity etc. in a non environmentally controlled storage unit.

Beware of where you choose to store those treasures.

When we get off of the road we get to buy at auctions and flea markets again, the same way we got the stuff we sold.

Best of luck to you. We are on the road and not looking back.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

The buyers of my house asked about the couch, dining room set, bedroom set....heck, they

even wanted the barn cats! Sure was nice to not have to deal with storing/selling those

items. I did hate to leave the cats BUT they'd lived in the barn their entire 9 years,

never having been in a house. Might have been a real adventure in my toy hauler!!!

Remind you of Funny Farm?

I still have a storage unit - mostly boxes of stuff I just didn't have the energy to

deal with. I'll be going back for appt's in the Spring and hopefully by then be

ready to make decisions.

Specifically bought a Toy Hauler to have the wall space/room for my office, bookcase

chairs, couch - everyone who sees it says it's homey. No toys, just my STUFF.

Someday it will get organized....

Archived