Dog traveling in a crate in a Fifth Wheel?

Velos

Our dog is having trouble with her back and the vet advised her not to jump for 6 weeks. We have an MDT that is too tall for her to get into anymore and a challenge for DH to lift her in.

We are trying to think of alternatives and considering a crate and securing in on the inside of the fifth wheel. https://www.chewy.com/petmate-navigator-plastic-kennel-x/dp/101560

Does anyone leave their dogs in their fifth wheel while traveling? If so would like to hear how you have set it up for them to travel.

Thank you.

I think the rough ride would be very hard on a dog with a back injury - could even cause pain. We have had a dog with back injuries and they really don't like to move much as it hurts. I wouldn't chance the ride and possibly causing more injury to the back. That 5th wheel bounces down the road more than your truck would. Wouldn't she also have to go up stairs to get in the 5th wheel? Also bad for the back.

Pat DeJong

We have two dogs. There's no way in @#$% I'd ever let my pets ride in the fifth wheel, in a crate or not!

As others have said, look into ramps to get your dog in and out of the truck. And, once in, I assume s/he will be restrained in some manner...either a seat belt harness, or a travel cage (probably the better choice for a dog with back problems).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Try steps -- http://www.petloader.com/

We use our pet loader steps to get the dogs in and out of our HDT. We had a shelf built into the side compartment on the bed to store them. It only takes a few seconds to fold/unfold them and is a lot easier on my back.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Just as a guess, the ramps will have to be 6 foot or longer. haven't found one that fits our FL yet..still looking.

I bought a 6 foot one from this place http://www.discountramps.com/folding-pet-ramp/p/DR-0-Ramp/ last year and it works on the fifth wheel but is too short/steep for Freightliner FL60.

I ordered the 8 ft and it is supposed to be delivered today so when the rain stops I will give it a try and let you know.

Looks like a nice one... hope it works out. Steps could jar the back. I'd go with a ramp if you have a choice. The dog may develop other issues as it gets older and the ramp may come in handy in the future. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have a few RV friends that have elderly dogs and they use a ramp for the dog. We have seen several home made rigs as well as some commercial ramps. The dogs seems ot do fine with them.

But as already stated...no way would I put the dog in a crate in the 5er. Too rough, too noisy and no climate control.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I bought a 6 foot one from this place http://www.discountramps.com/folding-pet-ramp/p/DR-0-Ramp/ last year and it works on the fifth wheel but is too short/steep for Freightliner FL60.

I ordered the 8 ft and it is supposed to be delivered today so when the rain stops I will give it a try and let you know.

I bought a regular ramp from discount ramps. Great service. Dogs were fine using it, but it is heavy. It does fold in half which helps. I did like the looks of the steps. That might be better. I bought the ramp since I can use it for the snowblower.

Here is a picture of the backseat of my truck. Dogs feel rather comfortable back there. Click to the end of the link for picture. You can see the top of the ramp in the bottom of the picture.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2016/07/usbackroads-destination-alaska-but.html

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Pet loader and other ramp and steps are great except they have to basically extend at a right angle to the truck. This is a problem when youre at a rest or truck stop or parking lot and need to unload in a tight space.

It would be great if there was a product that could extend along the side of the truck so you can walk your dog down without running into vehicles next to you.

John & Joyce

N6BER

I bought a regular ramp from discount ramps. Great service. Dogs were fine using it, but it is heavy. It does fold in half which helps. I did like the looks of the steps. That might be better. I bought the ramp since I can use it for the snowblower.

Here is a picture of the backseat of my truck. Dogs feel rather comfortable back there. Click to the end of the link for picture. You can see the top of the ramp in the bottom of the picture.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2016/07/usbackroads-destination-alaska-but.html

Thanks for the photo, your dogs are loving the road.

Here is a photo of our truck, it is a little taller then a pick up which makes it more challenging. We can only use the passenger side entrance as the steering wheel is in the way on the driver side. In the past we would just lift her to the floor of the passenger side and she would jump into the seat then into her bed in the extended cab. Unfortunately she can no longer make that jump so we need to go directly to the seat.

Our%20Truck_zpsb2woxkdg.jpg

truck%20passenger%20side_zpsnopdslgy.jpg

back%20seat%20dog%20bed_zpsjecm4t9l.jpg

Archived