Looking to full time

bbengleking

So the wife and I are tossing around the idea of moving into a rv full time. We currently have a 1yr old daughter and want to have at least one more so we're looking for a fifth wheel that will hold us all. I want to run a HDT as well since that's the safest route it looks like. We have a Subaru Forester and I have two motorcycles as well so we'd need a way to move them all when we move. Right now I'm stationed in WA and will be here for the next 4.5 years. We're looking at full time rving as a way to save money and still be able to travel while I'm still in the Navy. Does anyone have any leads in complete rigs (truck & trailer). We have some time to make adjustments and upgrades before I transfer again. I'm also open to opinions on rigs and what y'all do to achieve the full time life. Let's hear what y'all go.

GO NAVY!

One big challenge of traveling with kids that small is finding secure seating for them in the tow vehicle. Unless one of you drives the Subaru. My late step-sister was a Navy wife and I remember being at Dad's house one time when the newscaster said, "It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your children are?" Nancy replied, "Asleep in the back of the van where they belong." :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A cousin of mine is a Marine. His wife convinced him to FT in a 5er (bunkhouse). He pulls it with a 3/4 ton. They're son is 10 yrs old. They've been doing it for several years. He's got 5 or 6 more years, then he's done. His wife works from home and they home school. Works for them.

Some bases may let you stay in the FamCamp for your tour. Yes, it is likely cheaper, but before you just jump on that, consider schools and healthcare options for the family. Staying off base may give the wife/kid(s) better options for both.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought an RV instead of a house prior to my final assignment. Now I have both.

You may decide to get a beater to drive while you're in WA. Some HDT owners use their HDT as daily drivers, others don't. Cheap car for a few years, sell it, then buy another cheap beater at your next assignment and sell when you PCS again.

You don't mention your domicile state. Some are friendlier than others for fulltiming and HDT registration. South Dakota and Texas are very popular. SD would be my choice. Forget about Florida for the HDT registration and insurance.

Sounds like you are young, so put this in your back pocket; affordable healthcare, dental and life insurance are much less an issue while you are AD. Once you sep or retire, they will be bigger issues. Many consider Tricare Standard when they retire for the ease of use when traveling. Prime still works well for us. With only 2 Tricare regions now, it may be better or worse. I wouldn't use Delta Dental simply based on cost. You'll have plenty of options to research/consider. Same with life insurance. VGLI is way more expensive than many commercial term policies. Prior to your sep or retirement, suggest you get as much term insurance as you can afford for as long a term as possible. If you're close to 40, get a 30 yr policy now and decide if SGLI is still needed. No use paying for something you really don't need. Over 40 - 45 seems to be the magic number for significant bumps in commercial policy costs. At least that was my experience when I retired.

As for moving your motorcycles, why not just let the Navy move them when you PCS? If you mean you need to take them on family vacations and such, look for an HDT with a bed that can handle the bikes (Smart car bed). There are a few companies that make bike lifts. Rampage and Mountain Master are 2. Some people may suggest a swivel wheel trailer to pull the bikes behind the 5er. Some states (Florida is one) consider them as a trailer, NOT a frame extension, and it is illegal to double tow in Fla. It is also illegal in WA, but I do not know if WA considers a swivel wheel a trailer or frame extension-.

BTW, make sure you KNOW what the Navy will pay for when you PCS with the 5er. IIRC there was something about mobile homes, but not RVs. The whole thing may be considered a DITY. That would put a little money in your pocket.

A cousin of mine is a Marine. His wife convinced him to FT in a 5er (bunkhouse). He pulls it with a 3/4 ton. They're son is 10 yrs old. They've been doing it for several years. He's got 5 or 6 more years, then he's done. His wife works from home and they home school. Works for them.

Some bases may let you stay in the FamCamp for your tour. Yes, it is likely cheaper, but before you just jump on that, consider schools and healthcare options for the family. Staying off base may give the wife/kid(s) better options for both.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought an RV instead of a house prior to my final assignment. Now I have both.

You may decide to get a beater to drive while you're in WA. Some HDT owners use their HDT as daily drivers, others don't. Cheap car for a few years, sell it, then buy another cheap beater at your next assignment and sell when you PCS again.

You don't mention your domicile state. Some are friendlier than others for fulltiming and HDT registration. South Dakota and Texas are very popular. SD would be my choice. Forget about Florida for the HDT registration and insurance.

Sounds like you are young, so put this in your back pocket; affordable healthcare, dental and life insurance are much less an issue while you are AD. Once you sep or retire, they will be bigger issues. Many consider Tricare Standard when they retire for the ease of use when traveling. Prime still works well for us. With only 2 Tricare regions now, it may be better or worse. I wouldn't use Delta Dental simply based on cost. You'll have plenty of options to research/consider. Same with life insurance. VGLI is way more expensive than many commercial term policies. Prior to your sep or retirement, suggest you get as much term insurance as you can afford for as long a term as possible. If you're close to 40, get a 30 yr policy now and decide if SGLI is still needed. No use paying for something you really don't need. Over 40 - 45 seems to be the magic number for significant bumps in commercial policy costs. At least that was my experience when I retired.

As for moving your motorcycles, why not just let the Navy move them when you PCS? If you mean you need to take them on family vacations and such, look for an HDT with a bed that can handle the bikes (Smart car bed). There are a few companies that make bike lifts. Rampage and Mountain Master are 2. Some people may suggest a swivel wheel trailer to pull the bikes behind the 5er. Some states (Florida is one) consider them as a trailer, NOT a frame extension, and it is illegal to double tow in Fla. It is also illegal in WA, but I do not know if WA considers a swivel wheel a trailer or frame extension-.

BTW, make sure you KNOW what the Navy will pay for when you PCS with the 5er. IIRC there was something about mobile homes, but not RVs. The whole thing may be considered a DITY. That would put a little money in your pocket.

I wouldn't stay on base as they have a stat limit here, but I have seen others where people stay their entire tour.

Wife has no problem going to an onbase medical as that's what we do now. We don't like paying for medical when we can get it for free on the base. As for schools, I have only seen one base that had a school on it for the Navy and I don't plan on going back there so we aren't worried about that yet. Plus school is school, I went to a couple as kid since we moved around a bit and I enjoyed the changes.

My domicile would still be WA as we have an option with family to use their address. I like WA, even with the sales taxes lol, so I have no issue staying here. As for the vehicles, I'd have to look at that when/if we get closer to actually doing this.

As for the Navy moving my bikes, not gonna happen. They just strap it to the inside of the moving truck and take no precautions with it. I have a Harley and a dirt bike, both paid off so I'm not going to let someone who doesn't know bikes touch them for a cross country move. We also already have a nice car that my wife loves, Subaru Forester, and she doesn't want to give that up. We'd have four years to plan out how to move it all so at this moment I'm not terribly worried.

I would look into what the Navy would pay us for moving since it would be a DIYT move. We are still young yes and I have 12 years left till I retire from the Navy. After that all bets are off lol.

We're looking at this because of housing costs and such around the areas we are in. This option would allow us to have a better cushion and be more financially able to enjoy life.

Welcome to the Escapee forums, from a 60's era Navy veteran. We will do our best to assist you in your venture.

Be very careful in your selection of an RV since you will need a high quality one which will serve you for a long time. I suggest you consider joining the RV Consumer Group as a way to learn how to avoid problem units.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With a HDT and a 5th your wife will have to drive the Forester. Mounting the bikes on the HDT or back of 5th will be the only choices.

If you go with a class A you can tow the Forester (can not be towed 4 down) on a trailer and also put the bikes on the same trailer, if long enough they can go on trailer or some even have enclosures for bikes. Some class A have bunks built in or have lowering beds.

Just more idea's

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

Again. Sounds like our set up. HDT modified to carry two 800 pound motorcycles and tow our 35 ft. trailer. Don't have the motorcycles any more but do have a car which the wife drives. She leads, is the navigator. We have two way radios to keep in touch.

Our truck and trailer are still for sale. Link is below in signature with pictures and prices. Plan to be near Casa Grande, AZ. by October 1st.

Again. Sounds like our set up. HDT modified to carry two 800 pound motorcycles and tow our 35 ft. trailer. Don't have the motorcycles any more but do have a car which the wife drives. She leads, is the navigator. We have two way radios to keep in touch.

Our truck and trailer are still for sale. Link is below in signature with pictures and prices. Plan to be near Casa Grande, AZ. by October 1st.

If there was a space to put our daughter and possibly another child it could work, but the wife really likes the bunkhouse layouts for having kids.

Our truck would work for you. But I doubt the trailer would. The child as she gets older is going to want her own space. Friends of ours have an Open Range with a room in the back with bunkbeds, TV and it's own toilet and sink. it's a cool set up.

Good luck in your search.

Alright group, so after calling the bank and finding out it might be possible to go full time and get the trailer and truck i'm looking at, any suggestions on trailers? the wife and i both love the layouts of the bunkhouse models (Grand Design) in particular. We have our daughter now and are looking to try and have a second kid in a year or two so i'm always wondering about kids in the RV and truck. I know i would have to find a way to haul the car and motorcycles when i transfer, but i have four years to figure that out. i am looking at a HDT for towing due to safety of stopping and hauling power. i know this is a continuation of my other post, so feel free to keep me in the loop. i want to hear from families that have kids and how they make it work. I'm also active duty Navy and have 4.5 years at my current duty station. After that I'll PCS to who knows where at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Try contacting 4girls&a man on here. They fulltime in a 5th wheel and HDT. They are mainly in the HDT forum so may not have seen your post. They may be at the HDT rally so may be delayed in responding

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

When you get to the point of shopping for a 5th wheel, you might take a look at a Toy Hauler

with a separate garage. If set up right you could load both the car & bikes into the garage

and tow it all.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Archived