Malicious acts by others to RVer's.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I was recently talking to a new RVer in a campground and advised him to secure his 5th wheel lock are check it after being parked while traveling. Others have been known to maliciously pull the latch, and cause damage to you rig. He advised me he worked for a large trucking company and stated you would not believe what he had found inside their trucks fuel tanks coffee and other types of cups, paper wrappers, plastic bottles etc... Basically trash that people had removed the fuel cap and placed in the tank maliciously. My MDT has to fueling caps that screw on and after talking with him I like to know a good way to secure them. If they will do this to other truck drives, I'm sure they would do it to RVer's.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Chief,

You can buy locking screw on caps. I have also seen one that had a lockable hinge that had been welded over it. Will protect from people putting trash in your tanks but people that want to steal fuel will just crawl under the truck and punch a screw driver through the tank to drain it. Guess you pick your poison.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Dave,

My ET has a hole opposite the spring pin handle that I used to padlock. After the thread about quick dumping the trailer in event of a fire, I quit locking. Now at each stop just recheck handle position and jaws but had thought about maybe putting one of those plastic truck "tamper seals" through the hole. Please post any solution you come up with.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If you can find locking caps that don't leak that would be good, I never found any for my IH. Parking with the filler necks downhill or on a side-hill created a real mess with the leaking-locking caps!

You can add a block to prevent the cap from being removed with a bit of ingenuity, best one I saw was a piece of pipe matching the filler neck that had tabs welded to it that came up past the cap and had a long-shackle padlock run through them.

I wish it was an urban legend but I've had stuff dropped in my tanks several times over the years and had to either fish it our or pull my filters to get it off them.

In Germany many years ago it was popular to pee in the truck tanks and then watch them stall when they got back on the highway. We learned to leave guards on the trucks when stopping.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Dave,

My ET has a hole opposite the spring pin handle that I used to padlock. After the thread about quick dumping the trailer in event of a fire, I quit locking. Now at each stop just recheck handle position and jaws but had thought about maybe putting one of those plastic truck "tamper seals" through the hole. Please post any solution you come up with.

Carl,

Mine has that hole and I normally use a stainless steel carabiner in the locking hole of our old TrailerSaver hitch. The location of the lock hole to the rest of the hitch is not exactly where I would put it. Don't be surprised if mine looks a little different at Hutch if I get the time to work on it. I mainly use that hole as an extra "safety" lock for added insurance to make sure the lock block does not come out on the road.

Dave

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I just put RV style barrel locks on the fuel doors. Stops the average vandal, but a serious fuel thief can just break them open instead of punching the tank.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I'm working on further testing of my Acme Fuel Tank Tamper Proofer... Tube containing a boxing glove on a super compressed spring...touch a fuel cap without knowing how to disarm it and KaPOW! Right in the old kazoo....

I'll post a report once my doze heals up...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

In the 40 years out here I have heard of various acts of vandalism to trucks, including "pulling the pin", but is very hard to track down exactly who was the victim and why. Same goes for stolen fuel, stolen fuel caps etc. Have never heard of the "garbage" in the tanks. Todays tanks have 2"-3" filler necks, whereas in the old days they were 6" in diameter. I could almost see something happening then.

Generally the perp knows and targets the victim.( Think terminal where one driver is targeted by another for some unknown beef) Random acts like this could occur, as an example I could readily see someone vandalizing an RV unit while it is parked among the tractor trailers in a "Travel Center" which some truck drivers view as their domain, and RV's are taking space that they think they have exclusive right to.

You can exercise caution, but I wouldn't get too paranoid about it.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have the Volvo factory locking fuel caps and they work very well. The placement of the tanks and the deck make it very tight to get to the caps to start with. I check the ET everytime I come back from being away from the truck and trailer don't lock the hitch.

In Germany many years ago it was popular to pee in the truck tanks and then watch them stall when they got back on the highway. We learned to leave guards on the trucks when stopping.

With my fuel pick-up tube arounf 2 1/2" off the bottom of the tanks, it would take over 7 gallons of "non-combustible liquid" to be sucked up. Call it 5 gallons, to allow for slosh due to acceleration or turning.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Urban Legend.

I agree. After 20 years and over 3,000,000 miles logged I NEVER heard of such hogwash. An RV in the rest area or truck stop is the last thing a trucker will have on his mind. No reason to cause harm or damage to it. Don't bother spending good money on locks.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Outside of fueling with truckers, we stay clear of them. We don't sleep at rest stops and we don't overnight at truck stops. If for no other reason, the idling big diesels next to us make it hard to sleep. We also understand that they have no alternative and we do. We generally stay at an RV park. This eliminates many of the security problems. I had never thought of the fuel tanks being at risk. They are inconvenient to access and anyone going to the trouble to sabotage a tank is probably known to the truck owner and bears a grudge. The profile of a fuel siphoner is usually gas theft. Diesel theft would be more likely by a trucker, as few others could use the fuel. Seems to be a low risk compared to many others we face like sand storms, heavy winds, heavy rain, snow, ice, drunk drivers, idiot drivers, blow outs and hitting that huge hole near Hanes Junction that rearranged the trailer's interior.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Urban Legend.

Not to me!!

Used to put small lock into the opposite small hole to prevent the handle from being pulled back. We were at a local Rally couple hundred miles from home (nothing distance to us). Going home doing the final walk around wife said "you didn't put the lock on". It's only two hundred miles I said. We were traveling with another couple and another fifth. They suggested we visit her father along the way. We parked our rigs in a public parking lot for commuters, her father picked us up in a car.

After the visit we jumped into our trucks and drove off, wife decided to drive. We had a MDT then with a tall Reese hitch and a big deck behind the hitch. Couple hundred yards out of the parking lot and couple of stop and goes (traffic before the Interstate on ramp) the fifth fell out of the hitch onto the rear deck of the MDT.

First thing we noticed, some moron pulled the handle forward and opened the hitch thanks to another moron who didn't put the lock in.

Damage to the fifth looked minor, we raised it with the feet, locked it and brought it home. But it looked kind of "funky". The repair shop dropped the fifth underbelly and found a bunch of frame cracks and breaks. Insurance company took one look at it and decided, "from safety point not reparable" and totaled the rig.

So, not an urban legend to me, I have pictures.

Ok, Henry, so let's briefly resurrect the discussion we had several months ago. How many put a lock on their hitch to prevent what Henry describes, the rare instance someone may maliciously play with the hitch, and how many don't so they could quickly disengage the trailer in event of trailer fire or such event?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Being able to quickly unhook your trailer from the tow vehicle in a fire situation is my primary goal. I NEVER lock the hitch. I ALWAYS check it before continuing a trip, but honestly, without the bar extender you could never release my ET hitch. I check it anyway.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I first started out I used a lock. It was easy because I didn't have a bed for a few years. Not so easy these days. But I do always look for the "pin" to be behind the block. I can step up on the wheel to get a good look from the passenger side.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

The lock for me is more of a feel good measure that the jaws wont open while driving. Than a keep people from messing with it move. Every time I walk up to the rig I do a 360 and put my hand on the lever. To many years of fleet hauling the habit has stuck with me.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

No lock.

If unit is left unattended I will do a walk around again, start of day walk around not my cursory walk around for breaks and such. I still check the handle/block position physically (try to move it) but I also have yellow electrical/vinyl tape on the hitch release handle. This also provides a quick visual on if the hitch has been unlocked.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I don't think I have had the hitch messed with, but I have had fuel stolen.

We were at a gravel parking lot / rv parking spot in southern Oklahoma for 2 weeks. There was nowhere else to stay in this little town that was central to my work area. Problem was, it was central to a bunch of pipeline welders/workers too.

I noticed that I was using more fuel than I should have been. Set the dash cam to record in the passenger side mirror. In 3 days time, there was a black shadow that visited the truck with 2 five gallon jugs.

We left and filed a complaint with the non-existant owner, and I spoke with a local deputy that "knew" of some of the issues of the place.

When we filled up, we took on 45-50 more gallons than we should have. Computing mileage showed we were getting 4-5 miles a gallon. Not the usual 12 average.

I think I'll go with Ralph and Kevin's idea and put a pair of channel locks on the cap.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived