Jump to content

Maxxair Fan not opening/closing on remote


Chalkie

Recommended Posts

When we parked the RV in May I left the Maxxair fan open knowing that warmer weather was coming and since it is covered no weather would get in. Now that cooler weather is coming I thought I would close it up. Much to my surprise it would not close. The remote when you push open or close moves the cover about an inch. I can get on a step stool an close it (or open it) with the manual twist knob. The Maxxair website it worthless for any type of troubleshooting and their "technical support" number is equally worthless unless you are a registered tech.

 

I am not inclined to call a mobile tech since I can just replace the whole thing for less than what I would probably be billed for a repair.

 

Do any of you all have any suggestions?

 

THANKS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we parked the RV in May I left the Maxxair fan open knowing that warmer weather was coming and since it is covered no weather would get in. Now that cooler weather is coming I thought I would close it up. Much to my surprise it would not close. The remote when you push open or close moves the cover about an inch. I can get on a step stool an close it (or open it) with the manual twist knob. The Maxxair website it worthless for any type of troubleshooting and their "technical support" number is equally worthless unless you are a registered tech.

 

I am not inclined to call a mobile tech since I can just replace the whole thing for less than what I would probably be billed for a repair.

 

Do any of you all have any suggestions?

 

THANKS!

So it does indeed move! I would try a dry lube on the slider as it appears to be giving up due to torque as is normal operation. The drive motor is getting bogged down.

 

EDIT: If the slider is step worn replacing the cover will also replace the slider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might also check the inside of the cover as ours has a small rubber gasket around the inside and it will get sticky sometimes especially when opening the cover that might have been closed for awhile. You should be able to remove the round screen which is held on by screens then reach through the opening and lightly coat the gasket with white lithium grease.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might also check the inside of the cover as ours has a small rubber gasket around the inside and it will get sticky sometimes especially when opening the cover that might have been closed for awhile. You should be able to remove the round screen which is held on by screens then reach through the opening and lightly coat the gasket with white lithium grease.

 

It only does its inch movement no matter which position it is i; open, partially open or fully open. However, if I get this working again I will make sure to address that while I have things in pieces. Thanks!

 

So it does indeed move! I would try a dry lube on the slider as it appears to be giving up due to torque as is normal operation. The drive motor is getting bogged down.

 

EDIT: If the slider is step worn replacing the cover will also replace the slider.

 

I got up there and checked out what you referred to. It appears that the slider portion is not the problem. There is an "operator mechanism" (per the parts list) that the lift motor connects to that then operates the arms/slide to raise and lower. I am beginning to think it is this mechanism that is at fault.

 

I had not really wanted to get on the roof of the RV but I may need to in order to get to that part to see if it can be opened and lubed.

 

I think you gave me a nudge in the right direction. Thanks!

 

 

You might also check the inside of the cover as ours has a small rubber gasket around the inside and it will get sticky sometimes especially when opening the cover that might have been closed for awhile. You should be able to remove the round screen which is held on by screens then reach through the opening and lightly coat the gasket with white lithium grease.

 

It only does its inch movement no matter which position it is i; open, partially open or fully open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I thought I would update this thread with what I eventually ended up doing.

 

After lots of troubleshooting it turned out that the motor that raises and lowers the lid had given up the ghost. The cost of replacing the motor was such that I decided to just replace the fan.

 

I did go with another model that has a true remote and also is reversible so that air can be drawn into the trailer as well. The hardest part was removing the old fan. A heat gun and a rounded corner putty knife did the trick on the Dicor, and then gentle prying finally got the butyl rubber tape under the fan lip to let go. After that it was straight forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...