Internet for working remote?

peachie2422

Hey guys,

I'm very new here - working on my plan to escape 'regular' life and hit the road full time. If I get a full-time remote position, it will require me to login through a VPN, which needs faster speeds. I'm also running into issues where my provider, Verizon, only has max plans of 100GB, and when working 40 hours a week, I would easily go over that. I haven't seen any true unlimited data plans in my research, or at least that are on 4G. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Georgia

Howdy Georgia,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Hey guys,
I'm very new here - working on my plan to escape 'regular' life and hit the road full time. If I get a full-time remote position, it will require me to login through a VPN, which needs faster speeds. I'm also running into issues where my provider, Verizon, only has max plans of 100GB, and when working 40 hours a week, I would easily go over that. I haven't seen any true unlimited data plans in my research, or at least that are on 4G. Does anyone have any suggestions?

100GB, as others have stated, is a really large amount of data. Are you sure about this number?

I ask because I also work remotely, and my usage (for work) is under 5GB/mo even in the busiest months.

My main activity is system administration, and this usually involves me connecting in a VPN to "take control" over keyboard/display/mouse (eg, using SSH/X/VNC/TS etc) of remote machines and fine-tune and/or troubleshoot them. If I have to work with large files (not unusual) I usually work "in" one of those machines, so only the display/keyboard/mouse traffic goes through my internet connection.

Perhaps you can reach an arrangement with your employers where they set up a workstation with everything you need installed, and then you only use the VPN (and your mobile internet connection) to take control of that machine and work on it?

If they don't like the idea and demand that you set up your own machine, perhaps you can have one set in a datacenter, and install everything on it and then use it for your remote work. I've done that too (actually I have one such machine running right now) and it should cost you in the vicinity of $100/mo, depending on its specs.

If you been need more info or help with this, I'd be glad to assist, please contact me over PM.

Cheers,
--
Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Have you really studied​​ your data needs? I work fulltime as a network analyst for a large bank - and regularly work remotely from my coach via a VPN connection into my company's network. My typical daily data consumption ranges between 200MB - 250MB per day. Multiply that by 30 days - and that's only 7.5GB.

Like others - I spend most of my days connected to a server in my company's data center via a Microsoft Terminal Services connection (which uses RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) - so it's basically screens and keystrokes traversing the network. With such a "skinny" data stream - my "end user experience" isn't a whole lot different from that which I experience while connected via cable modem or while actually in the office physically. The only time things slow down is when I execute an operation that moves a large file to my remote workstation processing (i.e., opening spreadsheets stored on file servers in the data center).

Good luck!

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

If your circumstances do require you have a >100GB/mo connection then you may wish to consider purchasing an existing, grandfathered unlimited plan on Verizon. It is legal to sell them under an assumption of liability (AOL) arrangement. The Technomadia website you were previously referred to has information on how to implement an AOL.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

And invest in equipment to make the best use of whatever Park WiFi is available.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Welcome!

Many of us remote working folks are dealing with very large data needs - it's not uncommon at all to need 100+ GB a month to run a remote office, and handle the personal needs of mobile internet.

I'd recommend getting started with our general overview guide at: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview which goes over the basics of putting together an arsenal of mobile internet options.

We also do have a full guide to obtaining a Verizon unlimited data plan (yes, they are still available.. and yes, there are risks. But for as low as $45/month - it's an option many of us rely on). The full guide with details is part of our premium member benefits (which also get you access to our product reviews, evaluation testing data, Q&A forums and other in-depth guides), and Escapee's does offer a special discount count to join. The guide: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-unlimited

For our personal setup that keeps us working remotely: www.technomadia.com/internet

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Archived