wiper motor issue

redcrzr

1999 Volvo--Wipers are iffy, at best. Lately its been, operate 1/2 way up the windshield and stop, then if your lucky they just may decide to make a swipe, often times not.

What I have done so far.

Tested the electric to the best of "my" ability--my opinion says it checks out based on the HDT resource guide.

Removed the 3 mounting bolts & the wiper mechanism.

Turned on the motor and it cycles at what appears to be normal operation.

Replaced the same motor and it goes back to its old bad habits.

I can assist wiper operation and they appear to move with little resistance.

Should I order a new motor or am I missing something?

Can the motor be "weak"?

Thanks for your attention & assistance.

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Most likely, you either have a voltage drop under load, (poor connections), or binding linkage.

First thing I'd do is check your ground and lube all pivot points.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Apparently "rickeieio" was right. I sprayed the bejesus on all the moving parts I could see. Turned on the wipers & did the "hokey pokey" with them for a while and away they went. I don't understand how I never burned up the motor because I have had this happen before and just left the switch on while driving in the rain, hoping for an occasional swipe.

Todd E

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Apparently "rickeieio" was right. I sprayed the bejesus on all the moving parts I could see. Turned on the wipers & did the "hokey pokey" with them for a while and away they went. I don't understand how I never burned up the motor because I have had this happen before and just left the switch on while driving in the rain, hoping for an occasional swipe.

Todd E

Hold that thought while I go get my wife,,,,,,,,,,, I'm not often right. :lol:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived