5th wheel lube by Lucas

lappir

http://lucasoil.com/media/k2/galleries/340/10030_5thWheelLube_800x950.jpg

Not advertising for Lucas, just asking the question if anyone has used the product. Supposed to eliminate the need for grease.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Where does it get applied? To the slide mechanism, slide walls, what? My owners manual specifically states to NOT lube the slide mechanism.

For those of us with a 5th wheel plate we either need to apply grease (VERY MESSY) or if we are lucky there are some Teflon discs that can be placed between the hitch plate and the pin plate on the trailer. I currently have to use the Grease and am hoping for something less messy.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, I have used it from day one, on my ET. It is very sticky and Stays in place better than grease.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Rod, I have used it from day one, on my ET. It is very sticky and Stays in place better than grease.

I just happened to find it when I was looking for a place to buy some Power Steering stop leak for my car. Why you no tell me??

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I just happened to find it when I was looking for a place to buy some Power Steering stop leak for my car. Why you no tell me??

Rod

I guess I figured I was the only person still running a wet fifth wheel. My issue with the slick disc is the horror stories of getting the wrong thickness and having it come unhooked. So I stayed old school. Besides it keeps the jaws lubed.

I buy mine at Midwest Wheel-

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

I guess I figured I was the only person still running a wet fifth wheel. My issue with the slick disc is the horror stories of getting the wrong thickness and having it come unhooked. So I stayed old school. Besides it keeps the jaws lubed.

I buy mine at Midwest Wheel-

Well I have been using good old grease, the messy kind with the Spacecraft. I will look into the Lucas stuff more over the next few weeks before the trip to Florida. If it's so sticky how can it be less messy? Is it a spray on or a liquid? Couldn't tell from the description and the look of the bottle in the photo. Maybe I didn't read well enough.

Rod

On edit I looked at the photo on the initial post and can see the application method. Looks like you apply sparingly. Lucas Loves those cut off the tip applicators. I dislike them muchly, Always loosing the cap and then the stuff leaks all over. Not really a good container for a person on the move. I'm sure it works well in a stationary shop, garage or shelf.

RL

2007 Honda GL 1800

Years ago I had a Teflon disc get jammed in the jaws. What a fight to get unhooked.

Since then grease only. As soon as the hitch is unhooked and separated apply suran wrap to cover the grease. Then get the hitch cover out and install

Keep all moving parts greased on the hitch.

Safe Travels, Vern

Here is is on Amazon for $13.....what is it in stores?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I replaced the hitch on Red Rover, the new Holland hitch head was too tall for any Teflon pad. I wound up using Slip Plate, a dry film lube spray. It would dry to the touch. It worked pretty good but I did touch up the covering every couple of days.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Rod it's very sticky and messy. Like Vern I cover mine with a plastic bag when not hooked up.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

I ordered some of the "sticky stuff", and I'll try some of Mark's spray at some point. I can get a pad in there, but the thicker ones are marginal, and they are a pain to keep in place. I'll report on my "sticky" experience at the Rally.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I had a teflon pad installed on the hitch itself. Never slips or fall off and no need for messy grease.

greaseless%20slider_zpsubdgxdhc.jpg

2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 w/ Hydra Lift motorcycle lift, MorRyde IS suspension, MorRyde hitch pin

2013 Ford F450 w/ Trailer Saver air hitch

2011 BMW R1200RT motorcycle

I had a teflon pad installed on the hitch itself. Never slips or fall off and no need for messy grease.

That works really well if you have the space to insert it....not everyone does. On my trailer/truck combo that might work, and might not. But at least it would stay in place !! Also, you have to find someone to do it....or at least I would.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Where did you get that trailer catch plate for your Trailersaver? I didn't know they existed for that hitch.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I want to try one of Davids thin plates. I'm assuming he will have some at the Rally....right, David???

www.jackdanmayer.com

Just a suggestion ... shoot a little lube (silicon spray) on those jaws (the rust tells me there is no lube there) ... the friction between them and your pin shank will cause wear and looseness.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

Archived