Starting problem; Dash icons will not light

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

My truck just came down with a problem. I will try to describe the problem the best that I can. I first start with turning the key to the first position to on and watch for the icons to light up on the dash. That is where the problem is at. The icons will not light up and you can not hear the solenoids click in. You think that the truck has dead batteries. The truck is always plugged in to a battery minder, so the batteries always have a full charge. To prove it to myself I will turn the key farther to the start position and the truck will start. The truck will build up air pressure. Let the truck run for about 5 minutes and then turn the engine off. Now go and try to start the engine again by turning the key to the first position and the dash icons will light up now and you also can hear the solenoids click in. Where do I start to look to for this problem ? The truck is a '98 Volvo with a Cummins N 14 engine.

All help is welcomed,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

Will say it first. Check all grounds, especially at the battery. I've learned from this forum that is the most common issue.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Al,

Will say it first. Check all grounds, especially at the battery. I've learned from this forum that is the most common issue.[/quote

Drive on......(pesky grounds.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

X3

Especially cab or dash grounds.

Where would I find the dash grounds ? The battery terminals are all clean and the batteries are showing 14.2 volts where the truck is running.

Al

Al,

No expert here but you will find ground posts on the upper right firewall under the hood and also inside the cab under the dash. In my truck down close to the pedal that allows the steering column to be moved. Probably others I'm not aware.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Has it only happened once? Can you repeat it? Try wiggling the key and see if you can get it to not have the lights on again.

It happens every time I try to start the truck now. Let the truck run for about 10 to 15 minutes then shut the truck off. Now restart the truck and every thing is just fine. The truck acts normal. Wait for about 3 to 4 hours and the truck has the problem back. Wiggling the key does not help. Is the ecm located on the engine ? Is there any kind of soleniod or soleniods that the truck has before it goes to the fuse box ? Where can I find a wiring diagarm for my truck ? I just need the starting diagram.

Please keep the help coming,

Al

Al,

Just thinking out loud. Sounds like something is heat sensitive so as truck runs and warms up it conducts or functions normally but when cold doesn't. Will leave it to the gurus to figure out what that component might be.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Last year I had my instrument panel out and apart replacing the bottom left hand LCD display (Thanks Roger!). While I had it all apart I cleaned everything with contact cleaner, the printed wire diagram, all the pins and plug ports.

Not saying this is the problem, but the tach doesn't jump around, and all the lights work, back lighting, etc.

While playing with a tail light issue, I removed every fuse, and either replaced ones that were old and corroded looking or just put back in the socket. Several things happened. The original electric horn that I thought was dead started working, and the sleeper cigarette lighter power plug started working. I didn't find any fuses that were visually "Blown", but moving them in the slot cleaned the blades enought to pass power again.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Consider yourself lucky that you can at least start the truck when this happens. I have no idea the cause or fix, but will be watching for a resolution. Good luck with your quest.

My 2001 had a bad starter solenoid when I first got it. Took me a while to find out my intermittent starting issues. I have the Volvo engine though and initially thought I had dead batteries but had just shut down the truck so I sort of knew that wasn't the problem. Check the connections at the starter.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On my 2000 VNL there is a large group of grounds all terminate to the firewall. Inside if cab above to throttle pedal. I would think it might be a ground issue that is out in the nasty environment. However if your checking grounds check this one also.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Hi Everyone,

Things are getting better. I have used some 180 grit sand paper and clean all the fuses making them look new in the fuse box. Now when I try the key for the first time the icons will not light up. But when I try a second time the icons will light up. This is why I say things are getting better because the truck would not do that before. Has anyone used contact and tuner cleaner in the ignition switch ? I have not opened the side of the truck to clean the ecm fuse yet. I will still clean the ground wires under the hood.

Al

Al-, in the ignition switch I used https://www.amazon.com/AGS-LE5-Lock-Ease/dp/B000CIJUGA on a sticking lock on the truck. Worked great. Pull the cover on the column- 2 screws- and I sprayed some in the lock, then sprayed canned air- like you would use to blow dust off a keyboard into the lock. The gunk that ran out was amazing. I repeated several times, no more sticking lock.

Lowes and Homedepot sell a lock cleaner/lube similar to Lock-Ease that should work.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived