Hot water heater

Broncohauler

Ok, I got it. The thermocouple on these is called a :"sense electrode" which is the same piece as the "spark electrode". Its alignment was passed on earlier and it is often the cause of poor lighting and intermittent operations. However, I don't see how it would cause the volume of flame to decrease after running for a time.

post-27099-0-68710700-1473873933_thumb.png

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

When the system is at rest. Nothing operating is when the complete gas line is at maximum volume and pressure.

Now the line from the regulator to the gas valve on all appliances is pressurized to about 11" of water collom. The lines running from the bottles to the regulator are at a a high pressure ( maybe 200 psi, It depends on the temperature the liquid in the bottle). If there is one bottle on each side of the RV the secondary bottle will probably have a regulator set at a higher pressure than the main regulator.

Then when the water heater calls for flame to heat the water it has full volume and pressure as designed in the system. If there is a restriction in the volume from the tank that allows only a portion of the volume to replenish what is needed . That is when the flame slowly shrinks and will go out.

Shut it off and when nothing is being used then it will pressure it again.

The range may not use the volume of gas that the heater will.

If the tank is only giving 90 % of the volume needed then you can see in time the flame will be reduced and soot will build up and then the flame will give out.

It can be a pita until you see it happen then you remember

Well said Wrknrvr. That is why Broncohauler should not give up until he finds the problem. He might buy a whole new water heater and find that he still has a problem.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Last week I replaced a mixing valve on a Auquahot heater as it was not passing hot water.

Replaced the mixing valve and gained about 10 degrees of temperature to about 90 degrees although the boiler antifreeze was at 170 degrees.

Finally checked the flow rate through the unit. About a quart of hot water per minute is all it would flow. Flushed the coils for about an hour back and forth. Finally it started to flow. Then flushed with vinegar.

The customer was helping and was mechanically inclined so he did understand. It did work as designed after some thinking.

The customer called several weeks before for info and probably to get my thoughts. His buddy down the street was a plumber but they did not figure it out.

He had installed two thermostats and pestered Auqahot quit a few times.

Sometimes thing can be real pin in the .......

I am an authorized dealer for Auquahot

Safe Travels, Vern

Have you ever seen a black soot streak above a water heater. It may have a leaky gas valve that will have a very small flame burning constantly.

Just enough to burn and produce that streak.

Safe Travels, Vern

From day one ( 10 years) I've had black soot outside and up the trailer wall.

Last year I had the heater adjusted, but don't remember if they turned the regulator pressure up or down??

I no longer have the streak When the heater lights.

but it's makes a load bang when it does light.

That loud bang when it lights is indicative of too much primary air. Far as the pressure, it should have been cut back just a little bit to 11 inches of water column on the burner side. If the burner roars a bit that is another sign of too much primary air. If you slide the air shutter closed a little you could probably make it light better. Just don't get carried away with adjusting it!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Couldn't the loud bang be that the mixture is not lighting until there is a build-up of gas indicating a bad or misaligned spark probe?

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Archived