Xantrex flips GFCI fridge

63belv

I have a Xantrex Pro Watt 2000 inverter, and the outlet on it is a GFCI outlet.

You mean the Xantrex is plugged into a GFCI outlet? Is the Xandrex designed for power cord or did you add a power cord to it?

I have seen Inverters flip GFCIs when the Grounding inside was not set properly. Ideally, the shore power side of the inverter should be isolated from the output side. The Hot and Neutral should have the exact same amount of current going out and coming back and that is what the GCFI monitors. If some of the current is not coming on the Hot/Neutral wires but the Ground will flip the GFCI.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The Xantrex uses an onboard GFCI receptacle to provide protection downstream, whether hard wired or corded. There's not really enough info in t original post to guess to the cause.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I see the GFCI receptacle on the Xandrex but still not clear which is flipping, Xandrex or wall?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It is the Gfci on the inverter that is tripping. The gfci is built into the inverter. The cord is a grounded cord but Xantrex person suggested using heavier cord. My other part of the question is can the gfci be bypassed. Some online suggests not using gfci with fridge say motor starting can trip gfci.

A few issues come to mind....I am pretty sure that the gfci could be taken out and a regular non gfci outlet installed in its place. BUT..... that gfci outlet is there for a reason...to protect things. I'm pretty sure you would void any warranty on the inverter by modifying it in any way.

I would heed the tech's advice and try a heavier grounded extension cord that is a short as possible to avoid extra resistance first.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Had same problem with xantrex prowatt 800 on my samsung fridge. Called xantrex and they told me some of the heating circuits on newer fridges, will cause a very low current to flow between hot and ground and trip the gfci. Went to home depot and bought 99 cent regular receptacle and replaced gfci. It is still grounded to case and bus so works just like any other receptacle in coach.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Archived