Finding Fuel Leak

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Have a fuel leak that I cannot locate.

This is on a 1998 Cummins M11 Celect Plus. Drivers side of the head is getting wet from fuel. But I cannot find the leak. I can smell the fuel though. I can wipe it off and it will take 6-8 operational hours for it to be wet again. It's not coming from the injector pump, it's dry, It's not from the fuel filter lines, they are dry as well.

Suggestions on where to look?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Always a good idea to thoroughly clean an engine before attempting to identify the origin of a leak. On an M11, there just aren't that many places for an exterior fuel leak to occur which you haven't already identified.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Is it high on the engine or low. Clean it off and take pictures. Follow your fuel lines. As you have checked injectors, check fuel return line. I think it comes off the back of the head to the tanks but don't hold me to that.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Currently raining again, fuel is appearing on the head at about the same location the rear of the injection pump is, but high. From the top- valve cover seal, head seated on block- fuel is gathering at this seam, but there is no leak at the head. Head gasket is good, no issues there. When the area is cleaned it takes 6-8 hours of run time for it to reappear enough to become noticable again. Thinking that if it was high pressure, there would be other indicators- low fuel mileage, stumble, etc but there isn't.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived