What size generator?

tilliepeoples

I have been looking to update my 1990 Winnebago.

One thing I have noticed is the difference in the generators . Some have 4000 and some have the 7000.

In my case I typically run the generator while traveling so I can run both air conditioners (mostly because the cab air is out on my 90 "

I do go to an area a couple times a year that has no shore power ,hence I run generator pretty much all the time .

Would the 4000 be enough to handle this a week or two at a time or should i stick with a 6500/7000

Thank You

Bill

My last RV had dual roof AC units and the 5500 ran both just fine. I believe the 4K unit would only be appropriate if you run just one AC and would probably be under powered for two. When I'm driving, I rarely have need for more than one AC unit running on the genset, with the dash AC at the same time. The only time I remember running both was in CA on I-10 in Death Valley. I believe it was about 110 degrees that day. Another thing to consider is, since you have no shore power and will be running the genset all the time, more (less load) is better. I would stick with a 5500 as the minimum, and more if I could afford it. It's the startup that takes the surge power and I really don't think a 4K genset would work, but I'm no electrician.

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

Having a little more capability than you need is good, but big overkill would be a waste of money. Figure out how many amps you need first. I suspect you have a 30a coach. A minimal fit would be a 4000w generator which has a max output of apx 33a (4000w divided by 120v). A 4500 or 5000 likely would produce all the power your coach could reasonably utilize.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

First let me reply by stating that we live full-time in a 40' Phaeton with a 10K Onan generator. For full-time usage running such items as two 15,000 btu ACs, washer/drier, microwave, electric water heater, residential refrigerator, just to name a few of the amenities needed for our lifestyle. What I'm getting at is that you need to figure out what utilities you need power to and how many amps they pull in aggregate; that's how big a generator you need. When we lived full-time in a 37' Allegro Bay gas rig, we had a 7000 btu generator that we found adequate. We're not talking about camping here folks, we're talking about living.

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

I have a 30 AMP MH that has a 6500W LP generator that runs both a 13.5K and a 15K AC, 12 cu ft refrigerator on AC, Inverter/Charge, Hott Rod in Water heater, portable 1.5 cu ft freezer. Portable Ice Maker all at the same time.

Doing all that it uses a average over 14 years of .75 gal per hour.

I don't think a 4000W would do the job.

Don't go to small that won't do the job you want it to do..

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

This is what I really suspected .

In looking for a used rig I noticed many only having a 4K generator.

I was thinking that if the manufacturer thought it was big enough just maybe it was .

Decided to ask the people who use them to confirm my original thought.

I think I will put 6500 minimum on my list

Thank you all

Bill

Archived